selling my collection? Messages in this topic - RSS

sinisterss
sinisterss

6/18/2017

sinisterss
sinisterss
Been kicking around the idea of selling my entire comic book collection. Issue I'm having is how much do I ask? My collection is over 15k books, ranging from the golden age to last weeks pulls. I have keys/1st appearances/variants/Con exclusives etc.
this is just 1 example of my collection: my vol. 1 Batman collection is a straight run from 251 to now without missing a issue, I have all the annuals too, prior to #252 bounces around to issue #1(issue 1 is the masterpiece edition exact reprint).

So my question is what do I ask for a 15k+ Comic collection all bagged/boarded some in Mylite2's?
I know I'm not going to get what it's worth, I understand that, I just don't want to Sell myself short, I was thinking maybe $2 a book?(but who has $30k laying around). What are your thoughts?
edited by sinisterss on 6/18/2017
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

6/18/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Have you read this or thought about this? See link. It is a option and they have a few good options.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

By the way, fantastic Batman collection, amazing. I thought I had a nice run of Batman from issue 140 to 300, no missing. Yours make mine petty! Also haven't seen you post for a long while, welcome back.
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 6/18/2017
0 link
sinisterss
sinisterss

6/18/2017

sinisterss
sinisterss
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
Have you read this or thought about this? See link. It is a option and they have a few good options.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

By the way, fantastic Batman collection, amazing. I thought I had a nice run of Batman from issue 140 to 300, no missing. Yours make mine petty! Also haven't seen you post for a long while, welcome back.
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 6/18/2017

thanks! Most of my titles are complete runs or decent runs. As for me I've been busy, wife and I had our first kid with talks of 1 more. That's the main reason for kicking this idea around, I'm not pressed for cash, just space lol. I told my wife I don't really want to put the collection down in the basement with the chance of it possiblly getting damaged.

As of right now there's a comic shop owner coming over to check it out today, I'll see what he has to offer, but I am going to make it clear to him that I'm not pressed for money. So if he offers $5k I'll gladly turn it down.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

6/18/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Fantastic and congratulations of being a new dad, happy Father's Day!
Good luck on selling and glad ya aren't hard up needing cash.

DONT SELL DONT SELL DONT SELL
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

6/19/2017

Crowman
Crowman
This is something that has been crossing my mind more and more. As I approach my 58th birthday and the R word (retirement) looms ever larger, I know that I will also be looking at selling my collection. With a CPG value nearing 400K I have always seen the proceeds of selling as a major player in my retirement funds.
Selling to a dealer would be the easy way out, but the dealer would need to take everything and not just cherry pick the collection for what he wants. But this would probably be the least profitable way as you would be lucky to get 50% of your collection value?
Selling off your collection on e-bay direct to other collectors is for me the best way to go. That way you are still active with your hobby and you are most likely to get the best returns as you cut out the middle man (the dealer). This works for me as I would have heaps of time on my hands as I would be retired, or at least semi retired.
Whatever way you go I wish you well.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

6/19/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I'm glad i only have what i have, No 10,000+ comic book collection to worry about selling in the future.
Although i am only 42 fast approaching 43 i will accumulate more but never that much. I have been talking to friends lately (all various ages) about collecting & they want to collect.
They choose action figures, movie replicas etc. But they all want the comic books but just don't know where to start. I said stick to the comic books, You'll at least get your money back.

I am looking forward too & dreading the day i start to sell my books. Or maybe i'll give them away to a young true collector on my death bed, I'll let you know when that day comes smile
edited by Gilgandra on 6/19/2017
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

6/19/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I think the same way as crowman, selling collection in retirement. No doubt I'd have the time and most likely enjoy the process. I figure use eBay and only list 25 books each week, this way I won't be going to the post office every day. I don't want a job to sell, just something to do to enjoy the hobby.
Some of the collection will go to my daughter and her partner, nice they both collect comics. Thankfully I don't have a huge collection like some here but large enough to have a storage area at home built last year.
0 link
sinisterss
sinisterss

6/21/2017

sinisterss
sinisterss
I talked to my LCS owner about how he approaches buying a massive collection. He said without knowing what's in the collection $20-$30 per long box. If he can see what's in the boxes naturally he'll pay more. Now I didn't tell him it was me looking to sell my collection but I asked would $1.50 a book be too much he laughed and said yeah that's way too much. He pointed out there's always good books in a large collection that will eventually cover the cost of buying said collection but there's also garbage that he can't move because no one wants it and it'll just take up space. This has me a little disappointed.

I told my wife I'm not going to let these go for nothing and if a decent offer doesn't come around then I will finish the basement and create a room for them and pass them down to my son when he's older.
0 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

6/21/2017

This is precisely the reason why I collect "key" comics only.
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

6/21/2017

Crowman
Crowman
If your collection is fully up to date and logged here you can create and print out an EXCEL sheet that clearly shows what you have.
I would also ensure that your collection is properly stored and you can easily locate a specific issue so you can prove to a potential buyer that what you have listed is legit.
That way there is no uncertainty for a potential buyer.
Your LCS owner is just beating you down so he pays the lowest possible price.
0 link
sinisterss
sinisterss

6/22/2017

sinisterss
sinisterss
My collection is logged with the Comics price guide site(I pay the yearly fee). I also know where everything is at. I have 1 wall for marvel only organized A-Z the other wall being D.C. Organized A-Z, Image is the same and then the Indy titles organized the same way.
0 link
Draven68
Draven68

7/12/2017

Draven68
Draven68
Yes, it may be more time consuming and making multiple trips to the post office but from what I've seen, I agree with Crowman in that eBay is the best option out there while cutting out the middle man who understandably also wants and needs to make a profit. Sell your non key comics in lots and this way it'll allow other collectors the opportunity to acquire their missing issues while still bringing in cash to you. It's probably already been noted somewhere on this site but keep in mind when posting your comics, the grading of your books. Negative feedback from buyers for over grading can detract from the money you could get in future sells.
0 link
Jetfire426
Jetfire426

8/27/2017

Jetfire426
Jetfire426
My collection is in a finished part of the basement with a dehumidifier running keepin it at 50% and a radon fan also going and I've had no issues with anything. I built a 13 inch table top deal to keep my boxes off the ground in case my subpump goes out or something. So if put ur collection in the basement gets you to keep them then go for it 😊
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

8/28/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
Jetfire426 wrote:
My collection is in a finished part of the basement with a dehumidifier running keepin it at 50% and a radon fan also going and I've had no issues with anything. I built a 13 inch table top deal to keep my boxes off the ground in case my subpump goes out or something. So if put ur collection in the basement gets you to keep them then go for it 😊

Getting boxes off the floor and having a dehumidifier are excellent enhancements! Just my opinion.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

8/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
It's also cool knowing that your comics aren't radioactive. smile
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

9/9/2017

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
It's quite nice selling your collection individually. Bagging them up and shipping them off. Another excuse to go through them too and see them in the light again. I'm currently selling off my collection but only the ones I'm not too bothered about or the ones where I can't be bothered to complete. If I don't complete it's not a collection. I list about 20 every weekend, sometimes more sometimes less. can be a bit of a ballache, but when it starts feeling like that I put it down and go back to it another day when I'm in the mood.

What do you guys do with the money? I found if I put it in the bank I spend it on other things. So now I'm just keeping it in PayPal to let it build up to buy something bigger collectable wise. I have nowhere near as much as what you have though. So a bit easier for me. I couldn't sell the whole lot in one go though. that would feel like a waste of my collecting over the years to do that.

Good luck with it anyway, and I hope you get what it's worth.
edited by imatonkatoo on 9/9/2017
0 link
SgtFury1966
SgtFury1966

10/13/2017

SgtFury1966
SgtFury1966
Hi everyone. I just joined this site, and I'm logging my comics. Is this a good site to buy and sell on? I hope to talk to all of you soon, and build some good comic relationships. Take care - Greg
0 link