UK Comic Collectors Messages in this topic - RSS

Biddle7819
Biddle7819

7/26/2017

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
Hey

Pretty sure i'm not the only Brit with a passion for comics??!

I'd like to know if the comic scene was thriving in the UK, remember in the late 80s I could get american Marvel and DC comics at the local newsagent. Have things changed so much??
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

8/21/2017

Crowman
Crowman
I remember getting the UK versions (on newspaper print) of the US comics back in the early 70's. Could also get the American print versions as well if you knew where to go.

My Dad had a general shop (as a side business), back around 1973 - 1975 and we stocked a lot of comics then. We got to read them all then put them back on the shelf for sale.
0 link
Biddle7819
Biddle7819

8/21/2017

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
I have a lot of the UK reprints. Also have loads of the US print 'pence' versions. It seems a lot of these pence variants are missing from CPG so will be adding these in
0 link
kurdzielg
kurdzielg

4/19/2018

kurdzielg
kurdzielg
Hi I am a uk comic collector. I have been since the late 70s, so I have quite a large collection. Why is it that the cent cover price is so much more expensive than the pence (9d) price even though they are the same comic. If anything they should be worth more as a variant cover.?
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

5/1/2018

kurdzielg wrote:
Hi I am a uk comic collector. I have been since the late 70s, so I have quite a large collection. Why is it that the cent cover price is so much more expensive than the pence (9d) price even though they are the same comic. If anything they should be worth more as a variant cover.?
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

5/1/2018

There seems to be a certain snobbery on the part of CPG as far as valuing pence copies which has no resemblance to the real world and the prices pence copies attain. e.g. Iron Man #55 (f) cents copy - $514, pence copy - $250. Less than half price, really? Perhaps CPG should look at what pence copies sell for on eBay in the U.K. As you say, they are rarer than dollar issues by virtue of the fact that the U.K. is a fraction of the size of the States and therefore there were far fewer pence copies produced
0 link
Biddle7819
Biddle7819

5/2/2018

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
Any idea what the ratio was of pence vs cents copies?
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

5/3/2018

Crowman
Crowman
It does seem unfair. As a general rule of thumb I try and avoid pence copies.
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

5/3/2018

aarondawe
aarondawe
keith hollingsworth wrote:
There seems to be a certain snobbery on the part of CPG as far as valuing pence copies which has no resemblance to the real world and the prices pence copies attain. e.g. Iron Man #55 (f) cents copy - $514, pence copy - $250. Less than half price, really? Perhaps CPG should look at what pence copies sell for on eBay in the U.K. As you say, they are rarer than dollar issues by virtue of the fact that the U.K. is a fraction of the size of the States and therefore there were far fewer pence copies produced

It may not be snobbery on the part of CPG. Remember, part of what determines value is supply and demand. If collectors aren't shelling out more cash for pence copies (despite their rarity), then this is reflected in the market place. Guides are supposed to be a reflection of actual sales activity and not actually to create the value in the market.

Now maybe as you say they do sell for more in the UK than the guide is reflective of, then there's an imbalance. But I doubt that pence books are selling at the same value as regular priced copies in the US, based on collectors not generally wanting them (from my experience).

I agree with you though on the rarity though. There are less of these, so you would think that this would increase the desirability (as they are not reprints). A lot of the '80s Canadian cover price issues sell above guide for the same reasons, so it seems strange that this doesn't seem to happen with pence books too.

Aaron
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

5/3/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
It has nothing to do with snobbery, scarcity, or anything else. It has everything to do with demand. The bulk of collectors are North American and it costs a lot of money to get pence copies sent here. Not to mention there have been questions over the years as to whether or not they were reprints or not. Some may even still consider them reprints. The long and the short of it though is that the overall demand is low so the prices stay low. Even Canadian newsstand editions of many books don't go for anything at all. I am fairly certain that for most superhero books you could realize decent value for high grade copies of just about every "key" but step away from hero books and it really changes. So this pricing of foreign newsstand copies is largely an artificial manifestation anyway that only a few people partake in.
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

5/5/2018

Oxbladder wrote:
It has nothing to do with snobbery, scarcity, or anything else. It has everything to do with demand. The bulk of collectors are North American and it costs a lot of money to get pence copies sent here. Not to mention there have been questions over the years as to whether or not they were reprints or not. Some may even still consider them reprints. The long and the short of it though is that the overall demand is low so the prices stay low. Even Canadian newsstand editions of many books don't go for anything at all. I am fairly certain that for most superhero books you could realize decent value for high grade copies of just about every "key" but step away from hero books and it really changes. So this pricing of foreign newsstand copies is largely an artificial manifestation anyway that only a few people partake in.
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

5/5/2018

Well as far as British collectors are concerned cents copies are more sought after but the guide isn’t taking into account what pence copies fetch in the U.K. I must admit I hadn’t considered that the ‘pence’ copies were valued at what U.S. collectors would pay for them and not what they fetch in the U.K. Maybe the ‘snobbery’ is a reflection of the belief you mention that they are ‘reprints’, when in fact they were published concurrently with the cents copies, just printed with a different cover price. Sellers in the U.S. should also note the issues that had a poor distribution in the U.K.
As an example Werewolf by Night issues 18 and 19 are hard to find in the U.K., cents or pence, even though the price guide doesn’t recognise this and values those issues the same as issues just before or after which are easily available.
0 link