Defiant1

all messages by user

1/1/2017
Topic:
Trying to find old superhero encyclopedia?

Defiant1
Defiant1
sdkeslar wrote:
Hoping someone out there remembers this one..sorry, not a lot to go on,

When I was a kid (somewhere between 1979-85) came upon a superhero encyclopedia at a local library. Huge book, several hundred pages, tons of stuff on origin stories, etc. Think it was a large white book. Cannot remember publisher or title. It was similar to the Superhero Book by Roach and Misiroglu, but published way earlier. Already checked the library's catalog, doesn't seem to be there any longer. Would just be a cool thing to find..

TIA

I can't locate it, but I own a cartoon character encyclopedia which does include superheroes. It was given to me as a Christmas gift back then and I ~think~ it had Yellow Kid on the cover. Unfortunately it's not in the location I thought it should be so i can't tell you what it is. upset
1/1/2017
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
That's exactly what I was thinking about. I never really liked it because it wasn't really focused on the superhero characters I liked. I received it as a Christmas gift.
1/2/2017
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
Exactly.
1/2/2017
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

Defiant1
Defiant1
It's been fine before. Today the whole site is slow and popping up errors everywhere.
1/2/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
It stops high end dealers from snubbing their noses at me. Wiggle
The cash out of pocket for the AF #15 was only about $300. I bought Valiant comics in the 90's around the time they came out and traded my duplicates. The dealer who did the trade made money too.
edited by Defiant1 on 1/2/2017
1/3/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Defiant1 wrote:
It stops high end dealers from snubbing their noses at me. Wiggle
The cash out of pocket for the AF #15 was only about $300. I bought Valiant comics in the 90's around the time they came out and traded my duplicates. The dealer who did the trade made money too.
edited by Defiant1 on 1/2/2017

Exactly! When I see Hulk #181 going for large sums, I just remember paying cover price. There is not a lot of incentive for me to buy 70's & up comics at expensive prices now when I've been passing them over this long at a much lower price. I'm more interested in rarities or things I've never seen before.
1/3/2017
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
netstuffers wrote:
What kind of errors? What's the message you're seeing?

It initially told me that my login didn't take. It was going real slow. I tried again. Nothing happened and no confirmation. I tried a third time and it told me I was already logged in. I opened another window and tried other sites. They were working fine without any delays. Then I started searching and I got several weird errors, but I don't remember exactly what they were. Everything was working at a snails pace.
1/4/2017
Topic:
What company to use for grading comics

Defiant1
Defiant1
The estimates you got sound about right. You would only want to submit low dollar stuff if it's absolutely perfect and it has some significance that would make someone want to pay $40 for a perfect copy. When I say perfect, I mean that it looks like it just came out of the printing press. Collectors are so picky now that they don't even want invisible oils from your fingers on them. Even then you wouldn't make very much. This is one reason that people go to a comic shop and try to get 20% of guide value at best for the comics they want to sell. If a comic shop won't even pay 20% it's because they can buy and sell the stuff between themselves for pennies a book wholesale. You'd do better just posting very good high resolution scans and try to grade them as best you can. Regardless, it can be very time consuming selling books one at a time. Selling sets would help a little, but it's still labor intensive. One reason I'm not selling anything is because I make more money working overtime at work vs the time I'd spend watching auctions, and answering questions. It's just not worth my time. I probably have 10,000 comics and I could trim that down by 70% and enjoy them just as much. It's just not worth my time to mess with selling them and waiting for the one buyer that wants the comic I'm selling.
1/4/2017
Topic:
A List of Features We'd Like to See at CPG...

Defiant1
Defiant1
Gilgandra wrote:
Like to see a selection of Avatar pictures come back.
Seeing quite a few members with no avatar pic.

I'm lazy and I also like the option of having no picture. Wiggle
1/4/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Something different.

Diamond Limited Trade Paperbacks + one from capital

Since I like obscure comics and things that are hard to find, these qualify. They are individual comics that Diamond bound into a Trade Paperback. Dark Horse published some trades with the same name for Terminator, but these are the ones Diamond bound from individual comics.

Dracula

Spiderman Torment

Vampirella

This is the back cover of vampirella...

Terminator: Endgame

Robocop vs. Terminator (The easiest to find + some may have been bound without inserts. All mine are the same)

Terminator: Hunters and Killers

UNITY Book 2 (I do not own #1, but I had 5 of these at one point before selling some for 800% or more mark-up over what i paid)

Youngblood - you almost have to spin this one in circles to read it because one of the issues was printed sideways originally.

Cyberrad Compilation Book

Capital produced one also

Spawn Capital Collection

There is a John Byrne 2112 hardcover (I think) that I do not own.
I think that's all I own. I have multiples on some. I was going for 2 sets.

Defiant1
http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
edited by Defiant1 on 1/4/2017
1/6/2017
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1

1/6/2017
Topic:
Spider-Girl: A Fresh Start

Defiant1
Defiant1
I think his request is valid.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=286151
1/6/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Robbie wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Exactly! When I see Hulk #181 going for large sums, I just remember paying cover price. There is not a lot of incentive for me to buy 70's & up comics at expensive prices now when I've been passing them over this long at a much lower price. I'm more interested in rarities or things I've never seen before.

There are plenty of rarities; they make having a wantlist or complete set pretty confusing.

Especially when they are printer samples that never never had a full print run.
1/6/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Gilgandra wrote:

That Vampirella looks like a C. Vess cover. Didn't know he did one of her.
Nice to see some odd stuff! I too like the obscure books.

Early Harris stuff. 1991-1992.
1/6/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
deadone wrote:
Love seeing your stuff, Defiant1

If you want to see the more boring scans as they pop up in real time you can visit my board.

http://comics.vforums.co.uk
1/6/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
I gotta promote the legend's work...

(no particular order)

#16 Sixteen

#17 Seventeen

#18 Ate Tea N

#19 9 Teen

Out of This World #17

Mr. A #15

Lazlo's Hammer #nn

Ditko Package Series Vol. 4 (176 Page Package)

Defiant1
1/6/2017
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
I was probably using the site the first year it started.
I understand what a huge task it is and I empathize.
From an end user point, it simply has to work.
If I search and it doesn't work then all your coding might as well be the most complicated and expensive 404 error page ever designed.
1/7/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Robbie wrote:
oh geez... had no idea I'd missed that many new Ditko books.
The several I'd read were pretty interesting.

The newer ones are kickstarter items. I don't buy online, so luckily a guy at a show was selling them. He added a little markup for himself, but that was fine,.
1/8/2017
Topic:
Spider-Girl: A Fresh Start

Defiant1
Defiant1
kds_comics wrote:
Glad you found it. My conundrum is I searched "Fresh Start" - should have come up but did not. Perhaps my error.

I assumed the same and tried the same. That's why I started looking elsewhere and found that it did exist as a separate item.
1/8/2017
Topic:
how can I find the value of my trading cards

Defiant1
Defiant1
Your best bet is to check online. eBay is a good place to start to see what is for sale and what is actually selling.
1234 ..36