What company to use for grading comics Messages in this topic - RSS

Kal-eljll
Kal-eljll

12/26/2016

Kal-eljll
Kal-eljll
Hey everyone. I'm not new to comics, I've collected them since I was a little kid in the 80s and 90s and I'm getting back into collecting again since the DC Comics Rebirth started. I want to grade some comics and I have never looked into it at all.

I was hoping this community could help me figure out what company to use, CGC, PGX OR CBCS.

Thank you everyone for your help in advance
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/27/2016

Defiant1
Defiant1
If I was into getting comics graded, I'd go with CBCS.
CGC has horrible inconsistencies with grading. Their encasing equipment was getting old and causing aesthetic issues when the cases are sealed.
PGX has a shady reputation which would actually hurt the value of the books because no one trusts them.
CBCS is new, but it's run by the guy who used to work at CGC. I'm pretty sure he knows all the complaints people had with CGC and they'll probably try harder to keep your business and gain market share from CGC.

That's just my opinion. By all means hold out for advice from someone who has used them. Again, I'm not into graded comics.
+1 link
Kal-eljll
Kal-eljll

12/27/2016

Kal-eljll
Kal-eljll
Thanks for the reply. In my research I was feeling the same way. May go with CBCS. It looks like they are a sponsor for this website too.
0 link
rllewis
rllewis

12/30/2016

rllewis
rllewis
I have used CBCS and I have been very happy with them.

Robert +
0 link
knparzival
knparzival

1/3/2017

knparzival
knparzival
I use both CBCS and CGC. Both CGC and CBCS has had issues with their encapsulation and both have been fixed.. CGC's issues were just much more recent.
0 link
lindamat2001
lindamat2001

1/3/2017

lindamat2001
lindamat2001
Can anyone estimate how much it costs to get comics graded? I heard at one local comic store that it was $25 - $30 PER COMIC. Some of them might be worth that much, but most look like they are only worth $2 - 5 - 10 - 15 each. I want to sell ALL of them.

Thanks!
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

1/4/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
The estimates you got sound about right. You would only want to submit low dollar stuff if it's absolutely perfect and it has some significance that would make someone want to pay $40 for a perfect copy. When I say perfect, I mean that it looks like it just came out of the printing press. Collectors are so picky now that they don't even want invisible oils from your fingers on them. Even then you wouldn't make very much. This is one reason that people go to a comic shop and try to get 20% of guide value at best for the comics they want to sell. If a comic shop won't even pay 20% it's because they can buy and sell the stuff between themselves for pennies a book wholesale. You'd do better just posting very good high resolution scans and try to grade them as best you can. Regardless, it can be very time consuming selling books one at a time. Selling sets would help a little, but it's still labor intensive. One reason I'm not selling anything is because I make more money working overtime at work vs the time I'd spend watching auctions, and answering questions. It's just not worth my time. I probably have 10,000 comics and I could trim that down by 70% and enjoy them just as much. It's just not worth my time to mess with selling them and waiting for the one buyer that wants the comic I'm selling.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/8/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
lindamat2001 wrote:
Can anyone estimate how much it costs to get comics graded? I heard at one local comic store that it was $25 - $30 PER COMIC. Some of them might be worth that much, but most look like they are only worth $2 - 5 - 10 - 15 each. I want to sell ALL of them.

Thanks!

ID2001

Yes, you really want to be selective in which comic you grade. Check the CPG Guide.

I have Walt Disney Comics and Stories #81 from about 1949 on 5.0 condition. Although CPG says it is worth $80 - grading does not add any value. It is just not a high enough grade to be encapsulated.

What is worth getting grades - desirable super hero comic (e.g early Amazing Spider-Man), a high dollar variant, or a high grade older comic. Pick and choose - getting comics graded is an expensive proposition.

KDS
0 link
adampasz
adampasz

1/9/2017

adampasz
adampasz
CGC is $18-30 per book, or more depending which membership, and what track you use. It's actually not unreasonable when you think about the amount of labor etc. that goes into it. Also keep in mind, the turnaround can take months!

Think about what your collecting goal is. Are you trying to get a 9.8 copy of DC Rebirth Batman Whatever #1? If so, you might end up saving yourself time and effort just buying a slabbed copy!

That said, getting books graded -- and learning to become a better grader -- can be a fun part of the hobby!
edited by adampasz on 1/9/2017
+1 link