Tales to Astonish #32

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
edited by Defiant1 on 6/26/2021
12/26/2016
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
I'm always interested in any EC's, but I'm cheap and don't buy them often.

I picked these up a few years ago:

Animal Fables #1

Land of the Lost #1

Defiant1

I have a checklist and gallery of EC comics. The scans are not comics I own:
http://ec-comics.epizy.com/EC_Comics_Index.html?i=2
12/26/2016
Topic:
Marvel's ressurecting 70s bargain bin characters

Defiant1
Defiant1
Marvel does profit from back issue sales, it just not a direct 1:1 connection. The health of the back issue market keeps collectors engaged and that means they are more likely to see new solicitations. Back issue sales at the comic book stores keeps the cash flow healthy and stores can order more aggressively on new comics. A healthy back issue market reflects a confidence from the consumer that comics are collectible. A confident consumer is more willing to buy new comics with the hope that they too will be desirable back issues in the future.
12/27/2016
Topic:
What company to use for grading comics

Defiant1
Defiant1
If I was into getting comics graded, I'd go with CBCS.
CGC has horrible inconsistencies with grading. Their encasing equipment was getting old and causing aesthetic issues when the cases are sealed.
PGX has a shady reputation which would actually hurt the value of the books because no one trusts them.
CBCS is new, but it's run by the guy who used to work at CGC. I'm pretty sure he knows all the complaints people had with CGC and they'll probably try harder to keep your business and gain market share from CGC.

That's just my opinion. By all means hold out for advice from someone who has used them. Again, I'm not into graded comics.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

Defiant1
Defiant1
I don't like the new board software or category arrangements.
I used to submit scans and missing issue information but the delays were too long.
I'm not going to waste my time if they can't keep up.
Price updates were lagging behind too.
I think the site needs to publish hard copies of their price info so they have an income stream and tool to attract new user to the site that want to contribute. I'm posting now because I'm on a 2-1/2 week vacation. Chances are that I won't be back for awhile one I start back into the crunch at work.
12/27/2016
Topic:
No Staples

Defiant1
Defiant1
It's uncommon, but it happens. It hurts the value.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Big Little Books

Defiant1
Defiant1
Ironically, my sister bought me this for Christmas because I had the toy & space station as a kid.

That prompted me to look online and I found this site which provides further resource info.
It's not a price guide, but it gives info about books written on them.

http://www.biglittlebooks.com/index.html
12/27/2016
Topic:
How do you sort your collection...

Defiant1
Defiant1
All Marvel together alphabetically.
All DC together alphabetically.
All large qty indy comics together alphabetically. (Topps, Valiant, etc.)
All smaller qty indy comics alphabetical by publisher. The real small press stuff.

That being said, I'm involved in a 1000 year sorting process because most of my comics haven't been sorted. I acquired too many in too short of a time. I do have a problem that some comics I picked up in bulk are stuff I don't even want to mix in with the comics I am sorting. The real answer is that I have too many comics to sort and not enough years in my life to accomplish it at the rate I'm going.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Doctor Strange In Da House!

Defiant1
Defiant1
I liked the movie. I want it to do well because I have 3 copies of his first appearance in lower grades.

Strange Tales #110

Also have his origin.

Strange Tales #115
12/27/2016
Topic:
Black Panther

Defiant1
Defiant1
It's still relevant as the first time he had a book dedicated to him with his logo taking a cover spot.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

Defiant1
Defiant1
I'm glad I just entered a few. I would not want the value of my collection posted.
12/27/2016
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
It's a huge task bagging and board. I've tried to stay up with that as a I go, but eventually there is an aesthetic need to re-bag and re-board stuff. I have many odd shaped items that are difficult to organize. I have a good idea of what I want to sell, but some are best sold as sets, I might have a box with 5 issues from a 6 issue series. I need to locate that 6th issue in order to sell a set. I have the issue, I just need to find which box it's in.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Post Pictures of Your Comic Room!

Defiant1
Defiant1
Below the text box, there is a hyperlink that says "full reply functions here" on my screen. It will open a text box with button to post pictures. If you type in the first text box then you decide to click the link for more reply functions, you will lose the text you typed. Copy the text before you click it and you can paste what you typed after the new text box appears.
12/27/2016
Topic:
The first Black Panther sells for $90,000

Defiant1
Defiant1
I have one. I may have 2.

Fantastic Four #52
12/27/2016
Topic:
princess Leia has left with a damn good fight

Defiant1
Defiant1
I told my mom the former RN. She said "I thought she was going to pass away because stable is not a condition and they kept reporting her as stable." I guess it important to know that you can be in serious condition and at death's door and the news will report that you are stable if that condition hasn't changed. She was a very likeable person. Huge disappointment. Sad loss.
edited by Defiant1 on 12/27/2016
12/29/2016
Topic:

Defiant1
Defiant1
Br.tefft wrote:
Straight alphabetical for me (except a small group of random one-offs i've bought). I buy the plastic dividers. The series I like each gets a divider, but some I throw behind one divider. I have almost every Batman series each having its own divider, but series like Harley Quinn I bunch all together. My biggest problem is deciding if I want all of one character together. I cant seem to decide if I want Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man etc all in one place or strictly alphabetically. Currently I have them all alphabetical, but it might make more sense if they are all grouped together. I just cant decide.

I think you are doing it better by just keeping them alphabetical. The more you get, the more that it makes more sense to do it like you are.

I will admit that my Uncanny X-men are filed under 'X' not 'U'. I'm not going to split the series and have half filed under one letter and half under the other.
1/1/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
Robbie wrote:
Hey Defiant, nice early EC books. Land of the Lost is an okay read; much better than the radio show it's based on. smile

I've watched the cartoon. It's strange. I think I downloaded the radio shows, but I never got very far into one. I recall listening to some old radio shows that inspired EC's old witch character.
1/1/2017
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

Defiant1
Defiant1
I logged in the other day and 2 minutes later it was telling me I needed to log in again. Strange.
1/1/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Defiant1
Defiant1
I've learned that the quickest way for me to lose interest in owning a Silver age set of my favorite characters is to get their first appearance. I'm not a high grade collector, so just having a solid copy is enough for me.

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
1234 ..36