Itosukai

all messages by user

11/15/2016
Topic:
pricing and grading comics

Itosukai
Itosukai
New guy here, question about grading services.
Does anyone know of a service in Canada? I recently sent an Amazing Spider-man #300 for grading to CGC. It cost me $17CAD to send the box (1 comic only), and they are charging $60USD ($80+CAD) to ship it back.
Between the exchange rate and these services making money off of the shipping, I wonder if anyone may have heard of a grading service in Canada?

Thanks all
11/15/2016
Topic:
pricing and grading comics

Itosukai
Itosukai
rixmaxx wrote:
Itosukai wrote:
New guy here, question about grading services.
Does anyone know of a service in Canada? I recently sent an Amazing Spider-man #300 for grading to CGC. It cost me $17CAD to send the box (1 comic only), and they are charging $60USD ($80+CAD) to ship it back.
Between the exchange rate and these services making money off of the shipping, I wonder if anyone may have heard of a grading service in Canada?

Thanks all

There is a grading company called 60 Day Comic Grading in Canada but I think your best bet would be to find a local comic shop in Canada ( like Paradise Comics) that ship their comics out monthly to get graded. That would save you some money and still be being graded by a well accepted company.

I shall look into that, never occured to me. Thanks for the info and tip !!
12/15/2016
Topic:
Canadian Ninja - First of Six Limited Issues

Itosukai
Itosukai
01. TITLE: Canadian Ninja
*Note, please use the indicia for correct title information.
*If title already exists in the database please copy and paste the link to the database entry in the space below.

02. PUBLISHER: Les Editions R. G. B.
*Note, please use the indicia for correct publisher information.

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: Canada
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: Canada
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: 1
06. COVER PRICE: $2.00 in Canada, $1.50 in U.S.
07. DATE: 1987
08. ISSUE NOTES:
09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed):
10. ISBN/ISSN# (If Listed):
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available): http://core.collectorz.com/comics/canadian-ninja/1-283329
12/16/2016
Topic:

Itosukai
Itosukai
I have not been able to find anything else on the rest of this series Stephen. Nor on any of the other series that R.G.B. advertised in this one comic. "Heralds of Canada" was one of the other series.
12/16/2016
Topic:
Comic reading grad student needs help!

Itosukai
Itosukai
One more for you !
12/16/2016
Topic:
"Moderate Bend on front cover"

Itosukai
Itosukai
I sent a beautiful looking Spider-man #300 to CGC. Packed it like they show you too, plus extra cardboard to prevent bending. There were a few light creases on the top right corner, the rest of the cover looked beautiful.
Grading done in good time but it came back a 7.0 ... Grading notes stated: light creasing and moderate bend on front cover.

First, there was no 'bend' in that comic when I sent it. It was packaged properly, had a 'Do Not Bend' sticker on it. Beautiful white pages, sharp corners, no spine roll, nothing missing, staples tight and rust free. 4 comic shop owners knowing a thing or 4 about grading, all guessed 9 or higher.

My questions are: Are light creases enough to drop a book's grade that much alone? Would a bend not need to crease the cover to be a problem?
I could never prove wether it was the USPS or Canada Post that bent my comic package that badly. Now that it's slabbed, I may not even see this "bend" CGC was talking about, or would I?

Thanks
12/18/2016
Topic:
How can I view the Queue?

Itosukai
Itosukai
Would definitely like to see this happen as well. Have entered a fair amount of things as well but not sure at what stage things are at as of yet.

Forgot to sign in before I posted this.
12/22/2016
Topic:

Itosukai
Itosukai
Got that comic back today. Yep, can, in the right light, just see a short bend (not quite a crease) on the cover. The light creases on the top right corner are also minute and barely visible.
Dang it anyways. heh
12/27/2016
Topic:
princess Leia has left with a damn good fight

Itosukai
Itosukai
I to had the pleasure of meeting her at the Calgary Expo a few years back. There were only a few of us in her line up at the time and she came around front, sat on the corner of her table and chatted with us for a while. Awesome lady !!
1/7/2017
Topic:
Needing Help Identifying the artist.

Itosukai
Itosukai
I bought these two pieces of art over 26 years ago.

First, is this Drizzt Do'urden ? The sword he's holding doesn't look like the ones Drizzt is known for having.

Second, does anyone recognize the artist/s autograph?

Third, thanks.

http://edswebpost.homestead.com/comics.html

edited by itosukai on 1/7/2017
1/7/2017
Topic:

Itosukai
Itosukai
Would blunt corners on an older silver age comic not decrease the grade as much, than blunt corners on a modern age?

I saw an 8.5 silver age book with, even in a picture, obvious blunted corners and creases at the staples, whereas my modern age book with barely visible bend and slight creases near a corner, garnered only a 7.0.
1/7/2017
Topic:
Needing Help Identifying the artist.

Itosukai
Itosukai
CGC forum tossed me the answer. Elric of Melnibone by Robert Gould. Selling for 75 Pounds on one UK site.
1/7/2017
Topic:
Uncanny X-men #140

Itosukai
Itosukai
As with a previous post about Uncanny X-men #136, issue #140 also comes with price and issue number in a diamond shape.
You can also see that the trees in the background are barely visible as opposed to the version already in the database.

Comics Identifiers
Series NameThe X-Men
Issue Number#140
Volume1
Publication DateDec 1980
Publication Year1980

Content Information
LanguageEnglish
GenreSuperhero
Story TitlesFist to Fist with the Savage Fury of Wen-Di-Go!
CharactersX-Men
TypeCover

Publication Details
PublisherMarvel
Publisher CountryUnited States
Series Publication Countryus
Cover Brand NameMarvel Comics Group
Indicia PublisherMarvel Comics Group
Cover Price0.50 USD

Cover picture url: http://edswebpost.homestead.com/xmen140_80.jpg
1/15/2017
Topic:

Itosukai
Itosukai
Thank you guys for the words of wisdom. I definitely have learned from this initial submission. I did end up having to send it back for reholdering as they allowed a triangular piece of plastic to get inside. They are doing this gratis of course, but a bit of a pain nonetheless.

BTW adampasz, none of the light creases in the cover "broke color" at all, luckily.

Sending a package across the border also ensures a lot more handling will occur as well. I'm one to over do something (ie. packaging) so I know the package was as secure as I could reasonably make it.

I am googling (images) of different examples of comics at various grades to try and get a better handle on noticing things. If I had noted that tiny light creases affected grade as much, I may not have sent it in for grading. I ended up "breaking even" as to guide value to cost of grading. Shipping and conversion to CAD drove it up considerably.

30 years of collecting, but so much to learn in this aspect. Thanks again !!
edited by itosukai on 1/15/2017
1/31/2017
Topic:
Weird Vol.13 No. 3 June 1980

Itosukai
Itosukai
01. TITLE: Weird

02. PUBLISHER: Eerie Publications

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: USA
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: USA
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: Vol. 13 No. 3
06. COVER PRICE: $1.95
07. DATE: June 1980
08. ISSUE NOTES: Magazine
09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed): Unknown
10. Barcode: 0718964796506
11. URL TO COVER SCAN: http://edswebpost.homestead.com/WeirdVol13No3.JPG
1/31/2017
Topic:
Weird Vol.13 No. 3 June 1980

Itosukai
Itosukai
ohs69grad wrote:
Added to the DB. You will find it as this link... http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/weird/pipsh

Thanks.

Jesse

Thanks for the fast addition ... but the issue states that it is Volume 13, Number 3 ... not number 2.

http://www.hoknescomics.com/eerieeveryyear.htm

Scroll down to 1980 to see the cover and the issue number. I also have the copy and can provide an inside the issue picture if you would like it.

Thanks,
Ed
2/4/2017
Topic:
Your Opinion: Most Iconic Covers

Itosukai
Itosukai
As a devout Wolvy fan, I have to say that the cover of his first battle with Hulk in Incredible Hulk #181 is my favorite of all time. As a patriotic Canadian, I've always liked my Wolverine, Wendigo, Captain Canuck, Alpha Flight, etc.
2/6/2017
Topic:
Your Opinion: Most Iconic Covers

Itosukai
Itosukai
Naw, if he does a quick spin of the hips from right stance to left stance, he can deliver a darn good wallop, especially if S.S. is more to his left as it looks.
I remember thinking, a rainbow bridge with pink? Yikes. Shoulda been red at least.
2/12/2017
Topic:

Itosukai
Itosukai
BUMP
2/21/2017
Topic:
Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo 2017

Itosukai
Itosukai
Not sure if there are many North of the Borders on this forum, but if any of you are in the Calgary, Alberta (Canada) area, from April 27th to the 30th, stop at this Comic Expo. This year, the guest list is looking great ! Nathan Fillion, post-lucy Steven Yuen, Jeremy Renner, HODOR !!!, John Cusack, Danielle Panabaker, Colm Meaney, Christopher Lambert and more.

This show has gotten so popular, the City Fire Chief had to bar entrance to any more people (4 years ago), as it went over allowable capacity.

https://calgaryexpo.com/
edited by itosukai on 2/21/2017