Your Opinion: Most Iconic Covers Messages in this topic - RSS

sclingerman
sclingerman

2/3/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Some covers just "have it". That eye-grabbing appeal that we remember for all time. The ones you can just look at over and over. The ones you feel should be hanging in the Louvre.
What's yours?

One of mine is Detective Comics #31 by Bob Kane in 1939.

I fell in love with this as a little kid. Bad guy's making off with his victim... he's a mystery... can't see who he is... out in the middle of nowhere near a castle... the rocks... the moon... the fog around it all... AND THE BATMAN in the background - watching!
+2 link
lealew7
lealew7

2/3/2017

lealew7
lealew7
if i post all the pictures of the ones i like, this will go on forever, LOL; but for me, the ones that grab my eye and bring me back to my childhood would be the Marvel movie adaption comic books. Such as Dark Crystal, Indiana Jones, The last Star Fighter, Dune, Dragon Slayer, Blade runner, etc. i strive to locate all these Marvel Movie adapted comics now, they just need to be in my collection Big Grin
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/3/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
lealew7 wrote:
if i post all the pictures of the ones i like, this will go on forever, LOL; but for me, the ones that grab my eye and bring me back to my childhood would be the Marvel movie adaption comic books. Such as Dark Crystal, Indiana Jones, The last Star Fighter, Dune, Dragon Slayer, Blade runner, etc. i strive to locate all these Marvel Movie adapted comics now, they just need to be in my collection Big Grin

Agree.
I need more of them too. Missed out on a sweet NM set of Dune a few yrs ago (still pissed at that...Oh me)
I did get Time Bandits though.

A worthy Iconic Cover for me is (Uncanny) X-Men #50.
+1 link
Itosukai
Itosukai

2/4/2017

Itosukai
Itosukai
As a devout Wolvy fan, I have to say that the cover of his first battle with Hulk in Incredible Hulk #181 is my favorite of all time. As a patriotic Canadian, I've always liked my Wolverine, Wendigo, Captain Canuck, Alpha Flight, etc.
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/4/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
ICONIC:
Silver Surfer #4. The body position of both Thor and SS. Their facial expressions. The "speed lines" from SS. The contrast of them and the Rainbow Bridge to the black & purple space background.

+2 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/5/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Except Thor will only get a sissy swing out of that stance wink (The hammer should have been in the opposite hand or his left leg should be forward.)
+1 link
Itosukai
Itosukai

2/6/2017

Itosukai
Itosukai
Naw, if he does a quick spin of the hips from right stance to left stance, he can deliver a darn good wallop, especially if S.S. is more to his left as it looks.
I remember thinking, a rainbow bridge with pink? Yikes. Shoulda been red at least.
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/6/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Itosukai wrote:
Naw, if he does a quick spin of the hips from right stance to left stance, he can deliver a darn good wallop,

It's all in the hips Itosukai-san.
"Do not strike with your fist, but rather with your whole body." - My Sensei.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/6/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Pfft. He would fall over like a dead quail.
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/8/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
70s iconic cover. Giant Joker. Little trapped Batman.

+2 link
rperryx2000
rperryx2000

2/9/2017

rperryx2000
rperryx2000
One of my all time favorites:

+3 link
lealew7
lealew7

2/9/2017

lealew7
lealew7
the Turok is classic, i have one of these issues as well smile yay!
+2 link
rperryx2000
rperryx2000

2/10/2017

rperryx2000
rperryx2000
Another cover I have a rapport with:

+2 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/10/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
I didn't even know they re-did Turok in that era. I've never seen that cover before.

With the SW DE one, I think I might've seen it before. The original one is pretty iconic (forgiving the green Darth Vader helmet which was pretty *infamous*, and the red lightsabers).

Definition of iconic: Widely recognized and well-established or acknowledged, especially for distinctive excellence.
0 link
rperryx2000
rperryx2000

2/14/2017

rperryx2000
rperryx2000
Per the title of this topic, the iconic status of these books (Turok and Star Wars Dark Empire) is per my opinion.
Definition of opinion: a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
If interested, below are the reasons why I consider the covers iconic. But be forewarned, all of this is based on my opinion and no one else's.
It's true that neither Turok Dinosaur Hunter or Star Wars Dark Empire are as old or as widely know as the DC and Marvel characters. None of the covers from these series can rival iconic covers like Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #121, Giant Size-X-Men #1, etc.
However, Turok Dinosaur Hunter 1 was one of the best selling comics of 1993 and outsold every other book except for the Reign of Superman tie-in books that year. Turok is my personal favorite Valiant series so I am jaded of course. In the early nineties, Valiant was right with Image behind Marvel and DC in the sales column and had revitalized Gold Key characters like Solar, Magnus and Turok. Additonally, series like Rai, X-O, Shadowman, Archer and Armstrong and Bloodshot all sold very well and had large fan followings (not in the range of titles like X-Men or Batman of course).
Regarding Star Wars: Dark Empire #1, this is a book that came on the scene in the early 90s and along with Star Wars Heir to Empire (also published in 1991) really got people interested in the continuing comic adventures of the characters and settings from the movies and inspired a comic line and series of novels that are still popular to this day. Classics like Dark Empire II, Crimson Empire 1,2 and 3, Tales of the Jedi, you name it all followed this book.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/14/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
It would've been hard not to notice Turok #1 in 1993. My friend's store ordered around 6,000 copies because he was selling wholesale to used book stores and sports card dealers. He actually increased the price on the book the following week in his store not realizing it had been over-ordered by everyone else. I had to tell him that everyone else had far more than they could sell.

When I think "iconic", I think "Action Comics #1". The cover image doesn't excite me, but it is what I'd define as iconic. If I was going to post any covers in the thread, it would be covers that I like such as Psychoanalysis #3. In all honesty, there's nothing iconic about it. I just like it. I guess Hulk #181 would be a cover I like that is also iconic. Having collected comics for over 40 years, the iconic covers bore me the most because I've seen them for over 40 years. The obscure, rare, and/or very well illustrated covers interest me far more.

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/15/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
rperryx2000 - No, I get the "personal opinion" thing. That's most of what collecting is about. Look at me... I like to read the TRS-80 Whiz Kids! Know anyone else who does? Those comics suck! So I totally understand what you're saying.
But iconic really does mean "Widely recognized and well-established or acknowledged, especially for distinctive excellence." You could have an INCREDIBLY beautiful, perfectly drawn, amazing cover... but no one knows about it. Like when lealew7 said "if i post all the pictures of the ones i like, this will go on forever". He's right... but iconic isn't just that you "like" them. And if someone has a hundreds of iconic covers in mind, then they're not all iconic.
The 90s Turok us definitely more known than any of the old Turok series are. Even if you read them or knew of them - you're not going to picture any of them as really standing out. So that one's definitely more iconic than a lot of others. I think that I probably COULD see that one being used as an example in a comic museum.

As far as popularity, you're absolutely right about what you said about Valiant; and what you said about the importance of certain books to, like Dark Empire. All absolutely true. But that doesn't mean the covers themselves are iconic. It's like how I understand the importance of Rob Liefeld to the comic industry. But I'm not going to call him "an incredibly talented artist". New Mutants #98 is an important book, especially right now, but the cover??? The artwork??? Ugh. I'd say ASM #300 is a more iconic 90s cover.
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

2/16/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
rperryx2000 wrote:
One of my all time favorites:

While this is a cool cover, it is also the comic that lead to Valiant business failure in the 1990's. Not a good memory from a business perspective.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

2/16/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
I like this one.

0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/17/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
That one's a bit like a combination of IM #1 and IM #100.

kds_comics wrote:
I like this one.

0 link