edited by jokerbangedquinn on 2/9/2016
2/10/2016
Topic:
head-rush/jokerbangedquinn back issues

aarondawe
aarondawe
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
A 10 cent Detective Comics.
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/jokerbangedquinn/media/detective%20comics%20%20292_zps5fadhhsc.jpg.html

edited by jokerbangedquinn on 2/9/2016
2/11/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Posted this just before the old boards crashed, but I think I heard someone (Tex?) mention that they wanted to see my Man-thing again.

edited by aarondawe on 2/11/2016
2/11/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
My Complete run of World of Fantasy.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 10/8/2017
2/11/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
I just realized that I don't think I've posted anything that was issued in the last 30 years. As I only stopped buying new books around the turn of the century, these posts may give the impression that I never bought anything recent.

Here's my copy of Vengeance of Bane (which I sold off a few years ago for about 20x what I paid for it). I seriously think it would have graded a 9.8 if I had bothered to submit it for grading. I think the buyer was pretty happy with it.
I'll have to dig out some more modern stuff to scan at some point.

Aaron
2/11/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Another issue for my Dr. Doom collection. It's not really obvious that he's in the issue from the cover.

Aaron
2/12/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Robbie wrote:

MT#20 has such a cheating cover.

Yeah, I think you're right. I don't recall it going down that way inside the book...

It would make a nice cover to have the OA for though.

Aaron
2/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
For much of the '90s, I was mostly interested in manga, as the titles from the big 2 were becoming more and more 'image-d', and I didn't care for that trend at all. That's why I was able to pick up these off the shelf after the long hiatus before the series was completed. Akira had some fantastic art in it.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 2/14/2016
2/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
The first issue of Arrgh! from Marvel.

Aaron
2/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
I am also considering trying to complete a run of Menace. I realize that even at 11 issues only, this may take me years if I wish to pursue it as, as some of the issues rarely come up for sale, and when they do I often don't have money at hand to snag one. This series was the first time that Stan Lee decided to write the stories he wanted (knowing that the comics code was coming, I believe). The stories in this series are better written and plotted than many of the other similar titles from around that time. Anyway, these are the first pair that I have.

Aaron
2/16/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Just had this arrival of early Dr. Doom appearances.

The Hulk one completes the pair. With this Super Villain Team-up, I now have the full run. Looking forward to reading the Hero For Hire issues -- they have a massive reputation for being completely ridiculous (and maybe perhaps are the prime reason John Byrne created the 'doombots were used for all bad stories featuring Doom' explanation). Funny that Doom usually appears over two issues in those days...

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 2/16/2016
2/16/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Oxbladder wrote:
Nice stuff Aaron!

Thanks Aaron!
Aaron
2/16/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Oxbladder wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Subby & the Cosmic Cube!?! That's neat. Why didn't I know about that one?
Did you notice, the last few issues of Super-villain team-up were published annually... what's the point in once a year for a series...

Well, How many months late was Secret Wars? How about Afterlife with Archie, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and The Sheild? All are supposed to be monthly or bi-monthly and are months late. There are countless others. So having a book come out once a year isn't too bad. Not my thing but it is better than saying something is supposed to be coming out on a fairly regular schedule and not meeting that schedule.

Except that SVTU states 'annually' in the indicia. That's pretty weird. I wonder what the story is behind that one?
Aaron
2/16/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Oxbladder wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Subby & the Cosmic Cube!?! That's neat. Why didn't I know about that one?
Did you notice, the last few issues of Super-villain team-up were published annually... what's the point in once a year for a series...

Well, How many months late was Secret Wars? How about Afterlife with Archie, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and The Sheild? All are supposed to be monthly or bi-monthly and are months late. There are countless others. So having a book come out once a year isn't too bad. Not my thing but it is better than saying something is supposed to be coming out on a fairly regular schedule and not meeting that schedule.

Except that SVTU states 'annually' in the indicia. That's pretty weird. I wonder what the story is behind that one?
Aaron
2/18/2016
Topic:
Examples of various grades

aarondawe
aarondawe
You can try this as well:

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php

As long as you don't have an atypical defect, it gets things pretty close to an acceptable grade.

Aaron
2/23/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
I was at a used book store on the weekend and picked these up. I'm always keeping my eye out for upper grade Canadian newsstand versions that fill holes in my ASM run (which has major holes). More challenging than just finding the usual versions.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 2/23/2016
2/25/2016
Topic:
Current comic values very outdated?

aarondawe
aarondawe
Laroo -- you're link is showing the diamond box $.35 reprints of Star Wars, not the test market variant (which is much rarer and more desirable, especially in higher grade).
Aaron
2/26/2016
Topic:
Sargon's Rubies of Life have returned

aarondawe
aarondawe
Here's what was posted on Jokerbangedquinn's thread:

I see you're having the same issues I have with the photobucket tags. I copy the tag into my post, and when it goes live, there's no picture. But often when I go back to edit, the pictures are there, so I save the changes and it's good to go.

Aaron, save, edit, BAMM, it works. Got to remember that. Thanks

Aaron
2/26/2016
Topic:
Current comic values very outdated?

aarondawe
aarondawe
Don't be embarrassed. Information for the $.35 test variants that Marvel did over 5 months back then was not generally known. The Overstreet Price Guide did a comprehensive article on these about 4-5 years ago. When they first mentioned the existence of the Star Wars #1 in the guide back in the early '80s, many questioned its existence (and it was not known that it also appeared on other $.30 books from that month as well). Of course, the Star Wars also had the diamond reprints at $.35, so that really muddied up the waters.
Aaron
3/1/2016
Topic:
Listings don't include Laugh-A-Lympics

aarondawe
aarondawe
For some of these you need to read the indicia (the small print usually at the bottom of the first page of the book) in order to get the proper title.
Looks like this:

For the books published elsewhere than the US, you have to set the country on your search.

LoisLane242 wrote:

Marvel Premiere featuring Dominic Fortune - #56 / Oct. 1980 / Marvel
Just try under 'Marvel Premiere'.

Spiderman and Machine Man #99 / Nov. 1980 - Marvel

My guess is that this one is under 'Marvel Team-up'

Thank you

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 3/1/2016
1234 ..8