Current comic values very outdated? Messages in this topic - RSS

Marvin306
Marvin306

2/25/2016

Marvin306
Marvin306
Hi CPG. I've had my collection on here for some time but I noticed that the values havent budged in many months. Some of the values are grossly different to what the market indicates!

For example my Star Wars #1 (35 cent variant) CGC 9.4 is valued at $6400 when it is worth at least 3 times that much (all star wars collectibles have increased dramatically in the past year).

My Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.8 is valued at $11,200 when the real market value is half of that at most.

There are many more examples. I suggest you review at least some of the more important key issue values according with GPAnalysis.com with their CGC sales. That is as accurate as it can get.

You are doing an awesome job otherwise! Thanks! smile

Marvin
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/25/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Hey Marvin,

While I don't disagree that some of the CPG values aren't 100% accurate, I don't think your Star Wars #1 is worth $18k either. A quick search of eBay sales shows an average of about $1K since the beginning of December.
Now I know this is only one source and that a collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I DO agree that CPG is doing an awesome job with the staff they have.
There was a comment made by admin that CPG members may be able to help with helping to adjust values based on what the current market is showing... unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it.
Dave
0 link
Marvin306
Marvin306

2/25/2016

Marvin306
Marvin306
Laroo42 wrote:
Hey Marvin,

While I don't disagree that some of the CPG values aren't 100% accurate, I don't think your Star Wars #1 is worth $18k either. A quick search of eBay sales shows an average of about $1K since the beginning of December.
Now I know this is only one source and that a collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I DO agree that CPG is doing an awesome job with the staff they have.
There was a comment made by admin that CPG members may be able to help with helping to adjust values based on what the current market is showing... unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it.
Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the comments. However I think you misread. I was referring to the 35 cent variant Star Wars #1. The last sale was in November 2015 and sold for $23,000. A CGC 9.0 sold for $19,000 in December. Hopefully they can look into it and follow sales through various online auction sites like Comiclink, Comicconnect, Pedigree, Heritage, etc.
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/25/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Hey Marvin,

I didn't misunderstand at all. Have a look for yourself!
Attachments:
Picture1.jpg
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

2/25/2016

aarondawe
aarondawe
Laroo -- you're link is showing the diamond box $.35 reprints of Star Wars, not the test market variant (which is much rarer and more desirable, especially in higher grade).
Aaron
+1 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/25/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Well Aaron, thanks for the correction.

Colour me embarassed! I guess Iearned something new today!

Thanks,
Dave
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

2/26/2016

aarondawe
aarondawe
Don't be embarrassed. Information for the $.35 test variants that Marvel did over 5 months back then was not generally known. The Overstreet Price Guide did a comprehensive article on these about 4-5 years ago. When they first mentioned the existence of the Star Wars #1 in the guide back in the early '80s, many questioned its existence (and it was not known that it also appeared on other $.30 books from that month as well). Of course, the Star Wars also had the diamond reprints at $.35, so that really muddied up the waters.
Aaron
0 link