• Haven't updated in a while...
  • Issues: 5,309
  • Value: $23,233.95
1/19/2018
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

solarno
solarno
A question about approving published dates...
Should the published date reflect what a books indicia states, or when it could actually be purchased? In verifying dates for the Megacomputer, I've come across cases where the indicia date is one or to months AFTER the date I know I purchased the book from my local shop. After giving one book a Nope and seeing the negative points I figured I'd ask for confirmation as to which date should be used. I'd hate to unnecessarily give a user negative points because of this data disconnect. For a future improvement, can this clarification be stated on the Details page so users know which date to use when submitting missing data?

Cheers!
Jim
1/19/2018
Topic:

solarno
solarno
And a second Megacomputer related data question (along with a suggestion) for issues with variant covers...
When adding Cover Artist info should one stick to the artist(s) for the specific issue you are looking at?

The suggestion... Is it possible to copy and paste the main creator data between variant issues? It can be quite cumbersome to have to re-add all of the individual creator datum for variants and multiple printings.

Cheers!
Jim
1/20/2018
Topic:

solarno
solarno
ohs69grad wrote:
The published date is the date in the indicia, which is not necessarily the on-sale date. Marvel and DC's indicia dates are two months ahead of the on-sale date.
Use the cover date if there is no indicia date. If there is no cover or indicia date, use the on-sale date. Dynamite is a prime example of the latter... no indicia date
or cover date.

Jesse

Many thanks for the clarification Jesse.
Cheers!
Jim
1/22/2018
Topic:
BCW Comic Book Bins

solarno
solarno
Those do look pretty rad, though they seem a tad expensive if you're looking to replace a bunch of traditional boxes. I wonder if they'll offer them in different colors?
1/24/2018
Topic:
Default Issue Tab Settings

solarno
solarno
Thumbs ups!
1/25/2018
Topic:
Display Case

solarno
solarno
Ronbatman wrote:

I'd love for you to look at my display case, just to check it out. You might understand the "RonBatman" name a little better.

Silly question,
How does one see another user's display case from the forum? When I click on a forum username I only get a page with basic forum stats. Do you have to search for the user in the price guide itself?
Hopefully I'm just being blind.

Also, 48 books, woot!

Cheers!
Jim
1/25/2018
Topic:
Display Case

solarno
solarno
Thanks Ron!
2/6/2018
Topic:
Missing Creators submission link not working?

solarno
solarno
Hi,
While in the process of feeding the CPG Megacomputer I've come across quite a few creators who are not listed. There is a link to submit missing creator info but whenever I click the link it only reloads the page.
Is this function just not working?
Until it does work again, is there a preferred method to request that creators are added? Perhaps forum posts like with missing issues?

Cheers!
Jim
2/7/2018
Topic:
Missing Creators submission link not working?

solarno
solarno
Thanks for the update, Ron!
2/8/2018
Topic:
Best Superbowl commercial

solarno
solarno
The Tide commercials were the ones I found myself watching multiple times afterwards. Brilliant in such a meta way. "Are all ads, Tide ads?"
The Eli series was a complete "what the heck am I watching" until the final dance with OBJ. That was a worthy payoff.
I also greatly enjoyed the first Ram Trucks commercial with the Vikings sailing over only to be disappointed that the Vikings weren't actually playing in the game.

(And yes, Solo, but I've had the actual trailer from the next day on repeat since)

Cheers!
Jim
2/8/2018
Topic:
2018 comic goals for members

solarno
solarno
This thread has me thinking....
Comic Book Goals:
  • Buy fewer books. I'm going to be moving probably within a few months and moving the collection is a pain (literally, in my back), plus I don't know how much space I'll end up with in the new place. I suppose this actually means be more selective and only buy titles that really move me in some way, cut out the crossover events, and I probably don't need those variants (unless it's Skottie Young)
  • Reduce the chaff. Speaking of titles that don't move me, it's time to off-load them. That will be an ongoing project though as finding new homes is not always quick.
  • Replace some of the older boxes. A few are pushing 20 years old now. They still work, but are they ugly. Considering some of those shiny new BCW plastic bins.
  • Get caught up on the reading backlog. The need to read stack is also a good tool to determine which titles to drop. If I haven't been compelled to read something for weeks or months, I certainly don't need to keep buying it.

Non Comic Book Goals:

• Get caught up on the reading backlog. (Actual bound books, not just comics!) I have so many books stacked up in various places. Fiction, history, science, music.
  • Reduce the debt load. Buying comics doesn't help.
  • Release new music. It's been 3+ years since my last release and I have loads of unfinished tracks and projects.
  • Frame and hang a bunch of illustrated art I've collected. This will be dependent on what the eventual new place is like though.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers!
Jim
2/8/2018
Topic:
2018 comic goals for members

solarno
solarno
Ronbatman wrote:
solarno wrote:
This thread has me thinking....
Comic Book Goals:
  • Buy fewer books. I'm going to be moving probably within a few months and moving the collection is a pain (literally, in my back), plus I don't know how much space I'll end up with in the new place. I suppose this actually means be more selective and only buy titles that really move me in some way, cut out the crossover events, and I probably don't need those variants (unless it's Skottie Young)
  • Reduce the chaff. Speaking of titles that don't move me, it's time to off-load them. That will be an ongoing project though as finding new homes is not always quick.
  • Replace some of the older boxes. A few are pushing 20 years old now. They still work, but are they ugly. Considering some of those shiny new BCW plastic bins.
  • Get caught up on the reading backlog. The need to read stack is also a good tool to determine which titles to drop. If I haven't been compelled to read something for weeks or months, I certainly don't need to keep buying it.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers!
Jim

Jim, moving is the worst especially if you're moving long boxes up and down stairs. We are putting our house up for sale next week and I dread moving. I keep telling my wife. I want to move just once. No double move into an apartment and then into a house. Keep putting your comics in the small boxes instead of long boxes. I've been working on that goal for a while.

Comic chaff. Yeah, we all need to do that. There are books that look so interesting under the lights at the comic shop and then I get home and think why did I buy this?
Ron

Thankfully I learned the long box/short box lesson many moves ago. And it's a good things as the last few moves have been to apartments, involving stairs. Lot's of stairs. smile
2/21/2018
Topic:
What do you thnk of Marvel's "Fresh Start?"

solarno
solarno
Ahh, the CPG forum finally did the dreaded "post my reply as guest" bug to me. I'm thinking it might be a time-out function.

The Secret Wars II event just happened to coincide with my re-entrance (after a nearly 10 year hiatus) into reading/buying comics, and that was successful in gaining my interest in new Marvel titles. But over the last two years my interest in Marvel titles has dwindled to basically just Cap and anything that says Star Wars on it. Why? Too many "events", creative team line-up changes, and relaunches. To me it feels like Marvel doesn't have faith in their overall storytelling direction and instead of letting individual teams find their place in the mythos over time, they find it easier to either shoehorn "events" into titles or just up and change it all. The seemingly constant breaking of the feel of titles wore me down to complete disinterest.

Introducing a "Fresh Start" does nothing to reinvigorate my interest in the various titles I've dropped.
2/26/2018
Topic:
Chance of second Avengers-Justice League crossover

solarno
solarno
That could certainly be interesting, especially if both Snyder and Aaron were involved.
2/28/2018
Topic:
Chance of second Avengers-Justice League crossover

solarno
solarno
Ronbatman wrote:
It would be a fun ride to join the teams together. I'd dig a romance across Marvel and DC lines - like a Hatfields and McCoy's romance. (They weren't related were they?) smile

I didn't ever read the first crossover https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/avengersjla/pmxqh Was it worth reading?
edited by ronbatman on 2/26/2018

It's been 10+ years since I read it, but I remember it being rather entertaining even if at times convoluted. It's hard enough for DC and Marvel to do big crossovers within their own universe so imagine how difficult it is to shoehorn in as many characters as possible from two completely different universes. Certainly wouldn't be any easier this time around due to the various reboots since 2003, but it would be a fun ride.
2/28/2018
Topic:
Missing - G.I. Joe Yearbook, Volume 1 (Marvel)

solarno
solarno
sheriff-jms wrote:
This series appears to be missing from the CPG database. There were 4 issues in this series. Issue details are below, and a link to cover scans may be found at http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/G.I._Joe:_Yearbook_Vol_1

These do exist in the database with the regular title but you have to click on the "Annual" button. This is found in the bar that lists Monthly, Annual, Special, and Trade Paper Back. It's right above where the individual books are listed.
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/gi-joe-a-real-american-hero/smwq

Cheers!
Jim
3/9/2018
Topic:
Nobody sleeps (dot dot dot)

solarno
solarno
2:38am PST and just finishing up some web coding. Had to check into CPG one final time before attempting to reach dreamland. You never know what amazing new posts will pop up in the forums these days.
1234 ..9