genuine_article_comics

all messages by user

1/10/2016
Topic:
"Raw" Prices vs. "Graded" Prices

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Slabbed vs Raw is 100% about buyer confidence. That's why, for me, slabbed books don't really mean that much. I have confidence in my own ability to accurately grade a book. I'm very much less concerned with the difference between a 9.8 and 9.6 than I am with a NM and VF. If you're in this hobby solely for investment and concerned about Returns On Investments (ROI) then slabbed is the way to go. For me, investment is a factor, but it's certainly not the biggest or main reason I collect. I trust my abilities to grade a book accurately and will not pay a premium for slabbed books graded by a third party.
edited by genuine_article_comics on 1/10/2016
edited by genuine_article_comics on 1/10/2016
1/10/2016
Topic:
What happened to the old forums?

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Thrilled to have the Forums back up and operational. This is a fantastic site with great Administration staff and a great community!!

Welcome back!
1/10/2016
Topic:
Moon Knight #1 (1980)

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Hi Guys,

There seems to be a discrepancy between ebay listings/sold and cpg concerning the value placed on Moon Knight 1. I'm trying to accurately gauge this book. If anyone can provide their opinion, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!!
2/28/2016
Topic:
Have Comic Books Peaked In Market Value?

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I'd like to get everyone's input on whether you believe comic book market values have peaked or is there still room for growth?

I realize this is a very general question because I truly believe comics like Action 1 and Detective 27 will always increase in value, forever. My question is more general. Overall, are comics still increasing in value? Is there still room to continue an overall upward trend in value? Are we headed for a "crash" in the near future? How long can this upward trend continue? Etc..

Thanks!!!
edited by genuine_article_comics on 2/28/2016
3/1/2016
Topic:
Have Comic Books Peaked In Market Value?

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Thanks guys for your input.

I think there's room for continued growth. I'm not sure for how long but probably several years. I think a valid question to ask is; who are the collectors? Who's collecting? Who's collecting the Golden/Silver/Bronze age books? Are young people collecting? Is there a generation of collectors coming up behind the current crop of collectors buying all the expensive books now? There has to be a generation of people who care and are willing to buy these books after we get out of collecting. I think for the foreseeable future these comics will continue to increase in value but I also think the collector population will shrink thereby impacting the value of these comics.
3/5/2016
Topic:
400 dollars

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
If you were to get NM 98 you would be paying at the height of its popularity, but it is a great book.

I'd suggest amazing Spider-man 9 or 15 or 19.
Fantastic four 45 or 46 or 48 or 52
Green Lantern 76
Iron Man 1
X-men 12 or 14 or 94
edited by genuine_article_comics on 3/5/2016
3/6/2016
Topic:
Signed Comics

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Signatures do not automatically increase the value of a book. There is a school of thought that believe any and all writing on comics (signatures included) are a detriment. Some collectors would never purchase a signed book. Ofcourse there are others who pay a premium for signatures. I don't believe there is any established standard or guide when it comes to signatures. Many factors go into what someone will pay for a signed book. First and foremost the buyer has to believe it's authentic. Secondly, the desirability of the signature. Obviously, the book itself is important.

I'm curious as to who here at CPG thinks signatures increase or decrease the value of a comic.
edited by genuine_article_comics on 3/6/2016
3/6/2016
Topic:
Signed Comics

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Gilgandra wrote:
genuine_article_comics wrote:
Signatures do not automatically increase the value of a book. There is a school of thought that believe any and all writing on comics (signatures included) is a detriment. Some collectors would never purchase a signed book. Ofcourse there are others who pay a premium for signatures. I don't believe there is any established standard or guide when it comes to signatures. Many factors go into what someone will pay for a signed book. First and foremost the buyer has to believe it's real. Secondly, the desirability of the signature. Obviously, the book itself is important.

I'm curious as to who here at CPG thinks signatures increase or decrease the value of a comic.

I have about 10 signed books (i love them for what they are) But... i do not actively seek them out as i simply don't like a scribble (no offence) across a beautiful cover. But their are some signatures that would not say no to Lol, Steranko, Kirby, Miller, Lee falk.

I would like to think that most signed books would have a little increase in value not much though & also for me the placement of the sig. is very important. eg: ASM #400 enhanced cover is for me a big no no.
On any inside page somewhere down the bottom is just fine IMHO.

And I agree with you. I have a bunch signed books as well. My prized signature book is a high grade New Gods 1 signed by Jack Kirby (I'm a huge Kirby fan). Placement is important for sure. A Ditko signature would be huge!! Siegel and Shuster sigs would be huge!

Signed books can bring big $ but it all depends on the signature, the book and to a little lesser degree the location.
3/10/2016
Topic:
Who would win?

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
The "who would win" topic is a tough one because any scenario can be argued to support who you want to win. I personally think the Hulk is the strongest of the all the characters (both.Marvel and DC) but some people can argue scenarios where Thor or Superman can defeat him.
3/11/2016
Topic:
Water damage

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Water damage is definitely a severe detractor. Many collectors won't buy a book thats been damaged by water. Again, the severity of the water damage dictates the grade it will receive. If the water damage is severe enough it could warrant a 1.0 grade. If it's moderate or slight enough it could still reach an 8.0 maybe higher. I've seen CGC labels that state the book suffers from water damage.
3/16/2016
Topic:
Doctor Strange In Da House!

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Uuuhhhhh.................yeah.
3/16/2016
Topic:
Marketplace Transactions

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Are you saying you made the $300 offer on books?

If so, maybe the $300 offer was a low ball offer and you're being ignored.

Is that possible?

What books were you trying to.buy?
3/18/2016
Topic:
Marketplace Transactions

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Shotgun22 wrote:
genuine_article_comics wrote:
Are you saying you made the $300 offer on books?

If so, maybe the $300 offer was a low ball offer and you're being ignored.

Is that possible?

What books were you trying to.buy?

Can you guys get less sarcastic?? (I know my books I've been buying and selling for over 20 years and collecting for close to 40)

Daredevil #168
Daredevil #181

And some other Daredevil's he had his prices all added up to the $300 so if the buyer wants that and the books are 9.4-9.6 like he stated and someone with a good rep wants to buy them what's the problem then?

It's not sacarcasm but you're asking us to explain why a seller didn't respond to your offer. He may have thought your offer was low. He may have changed his mind on selling those books. He may not sell internationally. He may have accidentally over graded/under graded the books and chose to neglect offers. He may have already sold the books and forgot to pull listing. He may have been on vacation for 2 weeks... And on and on and on.....
edited by genuine_article_comics on 3/18/2016
4/1/2016
Topic:
What makes a "Key" Comic

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
I think the term "key" is subjective. I think most comic collectors would agree that 1st appearances are considered "key" but fewer might consider an "event" story as "key". Key is whatever you consider it to be. OSG indicating Wolverine's autopsy may be because it's related to his death, which some/many would consider an "event" or "key". To me, what I consider "key" is completely irrelevant until the point of selling and then the only thing that matters is "does the buyer consider the book "key" "?
4/4/2016
Topic:
Shipping humour

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
If that's Canada Post then that shipping cost is legit. 1 comic shipped anywhere in Canada from Canada (securely/properly packaged) is minimum $10 (regardless of the cost of the comic itself).
edited by genuine_article_comics on 4/4/2016
edited by genuine_article_comics on 4/4/2016
4/7/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Just a quick question guys.

What is the plastic sleeve the comic sits in when slabbed? I'm not talking about the hard outer case but the sleeve the outer case protects. Is that sleeve mylar or poly or something else?

Thanks!
4/8/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
kitdog wrote:
Its plastic that is sealed and protects the book from shifting inside the hard outer shell.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's purpose but what I'm asking is what is it's makeup? Is it the same composite as the poly bags? Or mylar bags? Or is it something else?
4/10/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Oxbladder wrote:
PGX's inner sleeve is Barex (a polyester film) CGC uses Mylar and CBCS uses another polyester film. Mylar used for comics and other paper is type D. Not all polyester films meet the archival storage needs.

For CGC the reason they suggest reholdering books every 7-10 years is that the micro chamber paper will no longer be absorbing any gases past that period of time.
edited by Oxbladder on 4/10/2016

Hmmm....alright then, that changes things a bit for me. I was looking for justification for cracking slabs (other than they're big and clunky and harder to store).

As usual, you shed valuable insight.

Thanks for the information!!
4/12/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
BburgDaddy-o wrote:
May be a dumb question, but does cracking the slab in any way affect the CGC grade or lessen potential value if sold with slab having been cracked open at some time?

Thanks Ox! Happy to hear that.

BburgDaddy-o: Not a dumb question at all. I believe it does and will impact the price I can get if I sell the comic. A slabbed book, for the most part, guarantees a higher sale value because the general perception is slabbed books are graded accurately or more objectively than the owner whose selling the non-slabbed book. For me, I don't care about that because I am not selling my collection any time soon or ever.
4/12/2016
Topic:
Market Price vs Guide Price

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics
Ha!!

All I got from all this was that someone:

A) learened a new word and was determined to use it as often as possibleand that is: sociopath

B) has a monetary interest in the film Comic Book Villains

C) believes all comic collectors are sheisters.