Ronbatman
Administrator

6/4/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
If you get a chance, please read this.

https://blog.comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-collecting-goals/

I'd love to hear your goals or what goals you've accomplished.
Ron
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

6/4/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Commented
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/5/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Thank you for that. Impressive goals!
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/6/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
My goals were:

1) Collect a full run of Tales To Astonish (#1-#101) in VG or greater condition. I have 75% of the run including #1, #13, #27, #44, #59 & #60.

2) Collect full runs of all the Charlton Adult Humor publications. These were printed from the late 50's to about 1986. Titles include Good Humor, 150 New Cartoons, 175 New Cartoon, Cartoon Spice (I have all 5 known issues that exist), Campus Humor (I have the only known issue to exist), Cartoon Carnival, and Best New Cartoons. Because adults were the target audience and they weren't on the spinner racks for kids, many dealers do not even know they exist.

3) All the Silver Age big Marvel keys. I need a Tales of Suspense #39, Journey Into Mystery #83, and Daredevil #1. I really don't care about Daredevil #1. I'd like to have an Amazing Spider-man #1 again, but it's his second appearance and I have Amazing Fantasy #15 which is his first appearance. I'm content without it.

4) Full set of Continuity Comics & variants. I'm 90% there. I'm missing some newsstand version when I own the direct market version (and vice-versa). It's a low priority.
5) Any Treasury-sized or oversized comics in general. Don't care what's in it. I have a huge collection of these and just want anything that exists. I have a poster sized Kiss comic which is the largest I own and I think the 2nd largest ever printed.

I have some lesser priorities.

1) Any affordable EC comics in VG or better. I'm cheap, so the price has to be right.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/6/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Defiant1, you've got some lofty goals. Good for you. I had the chance on Tuesday to buy a stack of Treasury-sized books. I didn't buy them because I was running out of time with a city-wide curfew approaching. This guy had probably 20 different ones that he inherited from his grandfather. I remember a Hulk one, Conan, Superman/Spiderman, Spiderman. They were cool
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

6/6/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
Oh, those giant Treasury-sized comics are the best! I really do not think my friends believe me when I tell them that I truly learned to both read and draw from those things. Mine were beat to h*!! by the time I was 10, but I got every penny's worth out of them. I had an Avengers one that included the origin of Vision in it. I had the Superman one with George Reeves on the cover. I have this one from DC which has some Batman but also has the House of Mystery story about the little boy who can turn himself into a demon and scare his sister. (His family gets him a lobotomy to resolve the problem!) Flash vs. Superman in two different races to see who's fastest was another one.... they could give those things to every kindergarten boy and be pretty certain they'd be reading by first grade, imo!

They really did reprint some great stories in those...
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/6/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Ronbatman wrote:
Defiant1, you've got some lofty goals. Good for you. I had the chance on Tuesday to buy a stack of Treasury-sized books. I didn't buy them because I was running out of time with a city-wide curfew approaching. This guy had probably 20 different ones that he inherited from his grandfather. I remember a Hulk one, Conan, Superman/Spiderman, Spiderman. They were cool

I have pretty much all the Marvel & DC Treasury comics. I need the 1st one DC produced, but the only one I ever had a chance to buy was being sold along with 20 other Treasury comics that I already own. I think I need a Whitman logo variant on one. Some publishers of modern Treasury sized comics started producing variants. I will quit buying from those publisher if they produce variants. I will not support the modern practice of producing variants for every comic made.
0 link

6/6/2020

My goals involve CGC and Ebay. I've decided to sell off the RAW issues I don't want and take the money to get the ones I want to keep and slab them. I'll also use that money to slab the RAWs that are worthy to get graded by CGC and sell them too. I just got my bubble wrap today from Amazon and also my Gemini Shippers showed up too. I became a member of CGC so now I get 10 percent off of grading and 150 in credit. I will have them pressed by CGC prior to Grading to get the best grade possible. Recently I went through my boxes and found worthy canidates for CGC and started making a plan.
1-Worthy books 1975 and later (pile A)
2-Worthy books 1974 and earlier (pile B)
3-Pile A books under $201 ea. becomes (pile C) and Considered Modern Tier at CGC, so 40 books Pressed and Slabbed costs about 1280 minus Shipping and insurance.
4-Pile B books under $201 ea. becomes (pile D) and Considered Value Tier at CGC, so 40 books Pressed and Slabbed costs about 2080 minus Shipping and Insurance.
5-The books left in Pile A and Pile B that are over 200 but less than 401 becomes (pile E) and considered Economy Tier, so 40 books Pressed and Slabbed is about 3120.
6-The books left in Pile A and Pile B that are over 400 but less than 1001 becomes (pile F) and considered Standard Tier, so 40 books Pressed and Slabbed is about 5000.
7-The books left in Pile A and Pile B that are over 1000 but less than 3001 becomes (pile G) and considered Express Tier, so 40 books Pressed and Slabbed is about 7400.
8-Anything left in Pile A and Pile B over 3K is considered "walkthrough" Tier and CGC want a 3 percent FMV charge, so the cost all depends...
Summary-So most of my Worthy books are pile D, then followed by pile C, Pile E, Pile F and Pile G. I only have a couple of books worth over 3K but they are already slabbed. So, to fund all of this I need to downsize. I also need to figure out how to do the insurance part, get educated on selling on Ebay and here...and finally buy a roll of painters tape and packing tape. So, getting closer smile One cool thing was the she hulk #1 I found that I had lost for over 20 years was found again! yeah!! I also found quite a few books that I either forgot I had or forgot to list....Everyone should go through their boxes at least once every decade or so...LOL
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/8/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
That is a seriously organized list.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

6/12/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
Since 1992, when I started collecting comics, my primary goal has been to complete Batman Vol 1. I have a graded page from #1, and I still need 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13. Every one of these issues is very expensive even in lower grade and they sell very quickly when they hit the market.

My second goal is to get all the Detective Comics but that has got to be the hardest title to complete in all comicdom. I have from 226-881 complete and I have another 50 issues below that.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

6/12/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
rustyauger wrote:
Since 1992, when I started collecting comics, my primary goal has been to complete Batman Vol 1. I have a graded page from #1, and I still need 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13. Every one of these issues is very expensive even in lower grade and they sell very quickly when they hit the market.

My second goal is to get all the Detective Comics but that has got to be the hardest title to complete in all comicdom. I have from 226-881 complete and I have another 50 issues below that.

It would be funny if we were bidding on the same books.

Donald
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

6/30/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
BasementComics wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

It would be funny if we were bidding on the same books.

Donald

Yeah funny in a not so funny kind of way
0 link
Stanleyspirit
Stanleyspirit

7/29/2020

Stanleyspirit
Stanleyspirit
Goal #1 is to clear out two long boxes of comics.
Goal #2 re fill boxes with Red Sonja and wonderland titles
0 link