What was your first comic? Messages in this topic - RSS

Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics

9/2/2018

Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics
Hello all, So my first comic was Creepy Issue 100 dated Aug 23rd 1978. Though the original issue was put through the blender for many years, I recently purchased a NM copy just for the sentimental value. It was a gift from my uncle and started my vice of comic collecting, how about the rest of you?
0 link
expander
expander

9/2/2018

expander
expander
For me it was a $5 stack of comics from the flea market there was Fantastic Four #371,Gammarauders #3, Namor the submariner #8, ASM#279, Iron Man #180, X-men #1(1991), and a few others It would be years before i even knew what bags and boards were. they stayed in a shoe box under my bed until I moved out to live with my mom in Virginia. Where she took me to yard sales on weekends in search of more comics. I love to hunt down deals that's almost as good as reading them, Almost....
+2 link
dav1
dav1

9/2/2018

dav1
dav1
first one i bought myself was star wars 1 marvel first autograph was jim lee xmen 1 but very first was a superman or spiderman
+1 link
brianpeppers
brianpeppers

9/2/2018

brianpeppers
brianpeppers
I don't even remember. I was maybe nine or ten years old, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one single comic. I got a bunch of early '70s stuff, a lot of which was reprints of the classic Lee/Kirby stuff.
+1 link
Biddle7819
Biddle7819

9/3/2018

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
First one I purchased was Transformers #42, Marvel UK Weekly comic. Still have it now - its trashed after being read hundreds of times!
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

9/3/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I read comics as a kid but didn't keep them. Pretty sure it would have been Casper or Richie Rich. Later, when I got back into comics I picked up a Batman comic issue 408. It was a great time to pick up Batman comics because Year 1 just finished and I was able to find them on the shelf, then 10 nights of the Beast then Death in the Family. It makes me smile just thinking about it.
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

9/3/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
As others not really sure of issue number but it would be a Incredible Hulk or Captain America in the early 1970’s. I’d get a quarter or two from my mom and I’d go to the book store to get candy. I’d end up by a rack of comics and sit down in the isle and read a few till the clerk would tell me leave or buy something. Most times the candy won out but if I couldn’t finish reading the comic, I’d buy it.
Didn’t start real collecting till I was buying comics for my daughter in the 90’s.
+1 link
Crowman
Crowman

9/3/2018

Crowman
Crowman
I cannot recall the issue or even the title. But my reason for getting into comics was the batman TV series in 1966 and that would have been my first ever superhero comic. probably a Batman or Detective Comics issue.
I did have other comics before then, but these were classic British comics.
+1 link
Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics

9/3/2018

Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics
Awesome stories guys, after 2 wives and 7 deployments my collection as a kid was either sold, thrown away or given away lol. Now that I'm retired I have once again have been drawn to the Gods of comics. Every box lot i get, or flea market I go to makes me feel like a kid again, loving every minute of it!
+2 link
rperryx2000
rperryx2000

9/4/2018

rperryx2000
rperryx2000
I don't remember exactly but I believe it was Spider-Man #24 that came out in July of 1992. I got it from the local gas station spinner rack. That venue was my primary spot to pick up comics for the next several months until I learned about the local comic book stores. Over the next several months I distinctly remember getting Marvel Tales 272, Iron Man 290, Superman 75 4th print, and Batman 498 from that same spinner rack.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/4/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I honestly don't remember. I had a bunch of Archies and Duck books long before I collected. I know for sure I only have at least three books left from my first five years of collecting one would be very close to the first book I bought and that is Human Torch #1 (1970's). I bought it back issue not new off the stands. I wouldn't be surprised if one of my very first was an issue of Invaders.
+1 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

9/4/2018

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
From what I can remember, it was Spidey Super Stories, got a subscription, waited anxiously at the mail box for em to arrive!! What got me started was Marvels Secret Wars, I was stationed in North Carolina in the mid eighties and at the unit I was assigned to, there was a magazine rack that had I think 3 issues of Secret Wars, wanted to read the whole series, that's what got me started. There were two LCS in Havlock, NC. Started buying the series so I could read it, then onto Spectacular Spider-Man (loved the covers) should have got Amazing Spider-Man, but what did I know at the time. By the time I got out in 88, I had 8 long boxes full, mostly marvel, but some DC, and 25,000 books later!! My wife thinks I am nuts!!
+1 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

9/4/2018

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I'm pretty sure it was either Avengers 130 or Amazing Spider-Man 139. I vividly remember laying on my stomach in our front yard reading that Avengers book, but I also remember getting the ASM 139 off the rack. What I loved about those days is that just about every boy my age had comics and would trade. Also when I got my $5 allowance and was dragged out shopping with my Mom, I could buy a stack of new comics and have money left over. There was a comic rack at most drugstores and grocery stores back then, and most malls usually had one of those, and there were plenty of times I would read comics while Mom shopped elsewhere. I remember reading Hulk 180 at the grocery store while Mom was going up and down the aisles, and I was blown away by a cool looking new character in the very last panel, Wolverine. I was so excited I that I found Mom and showed her this awesome new character, yet she was unenthusiastic about it. Old people, I swear.
+2 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

9/5/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Pthomas, love the Hulk 180 story. fun stuff.

There is a trend here. Most of the time someone introduced you to comics and then you were hooked. We need to be introducing people/kids to comics. If someone asks me about my collection I always have a stack of comics that I let them choose from. "Here, read one." I have some all-ages comics for kids who ask. Some of those people that I give comics to come back to me and say, "I'm hooked".
+2 link

9/5/2018

Speaking of getting the young into comics, my nephew's wee boy (Luis), is comic mad. He is 10 or 11 yrs old and has also been to comic art classes. He frew this for me when I was back visiting last February/March. pretty good for his age I reckon. smile

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/Crowman_59/batman.jpg[/IMG]
+3 link
Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics

9/5/2018

Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics
Speaking of getting the young into comics, my nephew's wee boy (Luis), is comic mad. He is 10 or 11 yrs old and has also been to comic art classes. He frew this for me when I was back visiting last February/March. pretty good for his age I reckon. smile

Brother, that is amazing!! Defiantly something to cherish there, look like someone should be getting some inks and pencils for next birthday. Thanks for sharing bud!!
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

9/5/2018

Crowman
Crowman
Thanks Pal. He is usually all over me when I go back, asking heaps of questions and wanting to see my latest books.
+1 link
Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics

9/6/2018

Konungrcomics
Konungrcomics
Ronbatman wrote:
Pthomas, love the Hulk 180 story. fun stuff.

There is a trend here. Most of the time someone introduced you to comics and then you were hooked. We need to be introducing people/kids to comics. If someone asks me about my collection I always have a stack of comics that I let them choose from. "Here, read one." I have some all-ages comics for kids who ask. Some of those people that I give comics to come back to me and say, "I'm hooked".

All you stated was very true bud, the thing I have found of late especially with the younger generation " my kids, and soon to be grand-kids LOL" is there's no want anymore for hands on hard copy comics. I actually heard a young man at my local shop bragging to his buddies the other day about his Comic collection on his Kindle. To me its always been about the hunt, opening the cover, the read, the smell of the pages, and the wait to run to the shop for when the next issue drops. Guess I'm officially a dinosaur lol!!
+3 link
expander
expander

9/6/2018

expander
expander
I love the hunt. I take the kids with me whenever I can. Yard sales, flea markets, auctions that's where the fun is. Then you get to experience a whole different kind of joy to see and hear the little ones reading them and debating on which characters are more powerful or who would win against who. It takes me right back to my school days doing the same thing.
+2 link
Stitch1769
Stitch1769

9/20/2018

Stitch1769
Stitch1769
First comic was G.I. Joe #1 Marvel. Went to the NAVY years later and my mom threw everything into a garage sale. So now in my mid life crisis, I get to blow my Porsche money on collecting everything I used to have. But I gotta tell ya', the hunt is fun!
+2 link