all messages by user

3/2/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Hey guys,

Another forum, another thread.
Wonder if the admins have figured out that it's a good idea to test the "restore from backup" feature. Make sure it works before you need it...

anyhow... smile

I've been reorging the comic room. So, I'm looking at fun stuff I haven't seen for awhile.
Here's a couple that I bought off the stand.

The colors on the spine make it look beat to hell at 1st glance. Not a 9.8 bit I'm pretty happy.

huh. Frank signed this one.
Neat. I forgot about that. It's one of my all-time favorite covers.
3/2/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Here's a few pieces from my art collection.

A nice Zulli page from The Dreaming. It has Cain and his dragon. I first saw them in the pages of Plop! drawn by Sergio. They look different

A cool Princess splash page from Powerpuff Girls. Inks by Mike DeCarlo.
3/2/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
A Marvel Thundercats page. Vs Spidera full page action. w00t.

A neat unpublished Kelly Freas painting.

The best piece in my collection... Cover to Plop #7 by Basil Wolverton.
It's what zombies dream about...

that's it for today smile
3/3/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Gilgandra wrote:
Great stuff Robbie & a nice newsstand copy of Wolvie #1

smile

That came out a couple months after I got my first car. I was driving around a lot, looking for places that had comics & stuff. No idea which newsstand it came from.
3/3/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
sargon wrote:
It's great to see the original artwork. The Wolverton piece is really cool.

It is a glorious page in person. Insane amount of detailed inking.
A published cover from his last group of work. Weird looking people is what Basil was best known for.

Best artist in my collection is this guy.

a pencil rough for Chessmen of Mars (book 5 in the series). The centerpiece of my ERB related art.
it's a freakin Frazetta. smile Frank Jr had someone disassemble and auction off pieces from one of his dad's sketchbooks to raise money for the Frazetta museum.
(White Indian is on the back.)
3/4/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
It's great to see the original artwork. The Wolverton piece is really cool.

It is a glorious page in person. Insane amount of detailed inking.
A published cover from his last group of work. Weird looking people is what Basil was best known for.

Best artist in my collection is this guy.

a pencil rough for Chessmen of Mars (book 5 in the series). The centerpiece of my ERB related art.
it's a freakin Frazetta. smile Frank Jr had someone disassemble and auction off pieces from one of his dad's sketchbooks to raise money for the Frazetta museum.
(White Indian is on the back.)

Wow, Frazetta drawing...Cannot get any better.

That's what I thought when I saw it for money I could afford. It is the most I've paid for art ($1200).

My comic collection started with Star Wars and John Carter, Warlord of Mars. John Carter art is extra special to me.
3/4/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
In 1995. Trendmasters did a line of John Carter of Mars action figures.
I was lucky enough to score some figure prototypes

3/4/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Frazetta met Roy Krenkel in art school. They worked together on some EC sci-fi books and later they did the ERB paperback covers for Ace Books.

I have one Krenkel inked sketch.
3/4/2016
Topic:
Sargon's Rubies of Life have returned

Robbie
Robbie
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.

Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.
3/4/2016
Topic:

Robbie
Robbie
High grade Bunny. Nice pickup. Giant sized Harveys tend to be more beat up.
3/4/2016
Topic:
CROW'S NEST

Robbie
Robbie
I want one of those upset

Gotta love pre-code Catwoman covers. Any of her covers are always in demand. She started out in Batman #1-3, those are out of reach for most of us. So anything will have to do for Catwoman collectors.

The list of GA female bad guys that are still remembered is tiny.
3/5/2016
Topic:
CROW'S NEST

Robbie
Robbie
Crowman wrote:
I think this is an origin issue too, so a good one to have.

What was her identity back then? I am not up to scratch on her history.

Don't know.
In #1 Batman tries to defeat "The Cat". Spoiler: The cat burglar is a lady cat burglar.
In #2 she's back and going by Catwoman.
In #3 she gets a costume.
I haven't read, or don't remember any of her other GA stories.
3/5/2016
Topic:

Robbie
Robbie
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.

Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.

I have the first DC Tarzan issue & i did enjoy it. I believe i have a book that features Korak somewhere...Not that awesome issue from DC through. Would love to get some one day.

DC kept the same numbering for Tarzan and Korak as they had from the Dell/Gold Key runs. I also have a handful of those early Tarzans and will scan them when I can find them

I know there was a run of Tarzan Family books which came after the Korak ended which included John Carter. I don't remember if Carson is in them though. I'll have to check once those boxes have migrated over from the storage unit.

Sargon

I have a complete set of Korak (GK, DC & Family), almost have a 2nd high grade set of the Gold Key issues. That's a lot of ape covers. Cool My Dell/GK Tarzan collection is not close to complete.

Not only is Carson in Tarzan Family, but the stories are written by Swamp Thing and new X-Men co-creator Len Wein. smile

Tarzan Family also has John Carter and Pellucidar (ERB's center of the earth series, a Turok rip-off, but ERB did it first).

Korak's 1st Dell/GK app was Tarzan #139 (Dec 1963). He got his own series the following month. DC renamed Korak to Tarzan Family and switched to double sized format.

Tarzan was in comics before Superman. That's old school. He's got a new movie this year, with Sam L Jackson... might not suck.
3/5/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
two notable scores from the LCS while the forums were down

1st Ultron. Prices have fallen a bit

upgraded 1st SA Catwoman
3/5/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
CapnDoug wrote:
Two nice books there. Still need Avengers #55 for my collection. And considering both of those are 50 years old, those are in great shape.

Thanks Cap smile
White background covers show all the dirt. And they go yellow when unhappy with their storage conditions.
Black Panther has a goofy mask on that cover.
3/9/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra Back Issues 2.0

Robbie
Robbie
That Norem cover is the best part of Dragonslayer.
Yes, that is an awesome zombie cover.
I don't have that What If. Looks pretty fun.
3/9/2016
Topic:
Greg's Collection Corner

Robbie
Robbie
I've read most of FF 100-400. A lot of fun stories. Didn't like Herbie, though smile
3/10/2016
Topic:
Greg's Collection Corner

Robbie
Robbie
Surfer #4 is a classic. smile
3/10/2016
Topic:

Robbie
Robbie
I thought CI#169 only has one print because it is the last issue. We determine the printing by the HRN (Highest Reorder Number). If the HRN is the issue in hand, then it is a 1st. (It is a neat book, I have a NM one.)

I'm baffled that #53 - A Christmas Carol - only has 1 printing.

Cap Canuck has average stories with sub-par art and that not-quite-right 80s coloring. Not sure why I love 'em. smile
3/13/2016
Topic:
Robbie's Thread o' Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Got one book from LCS. $150

Superboy #89. June 1959.
2nd Phantom Zone and 1st Mon-El (occasional leader of the Legion of Super-Heroes). smile

The colors are a bit soft; other than that it's VF-ish
1234 ..8