Robbie

all messages by user

5/3/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
I have one slabbed EC

paid 30% off raw overstreet price. Then I was forced to buy another so I could read it smile

A Wally Wood A-bomb & UFO cover.
5/3/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
Got 2 copies of Haunt of Fear #16 - 1st app The Old Witch Cool Smoke

5/3/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
First issue of Weird Science.

beat to hell, still cost bunches of money.

and SpongeBob did a parody cover. lol

I can afford EC parody covers.
5/4/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
Not actually "EC", but pretty darn close...
Topps produced a set of cards for the TV show Captain Nice. They're insanely scarce. Card fronts are b&w photos from the show. Backs are 4 panel comics by Wally Wood (he was on staff at Topps for a couple years).

I scored the original inked art for some of them smile here's one

Wally Wood was one of the key players at EC.

Too far off topic for an "EC" thread?
5/4/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
How do I make the photos display bigger? The old forum allowed nice sized pix - that's important when talking funny books.
5/5/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Robbie
Robbie
Early EC art is sweet.

The fake those pages exist is neat.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Robbie
Robbie
Anyone who wants an Infinity War prequel will be very disappointed. smile

I saw the movie last night and have listened to Mr. Blue Sky 4 times since. Mr. Gunn is mocking us. He knows everyone is there just to see Baby Groot be adorable, so he gets that out of the way in the first full scene. In the blurred out background is a fight scene that would be satisfying final conflict - ignore that, Groot is being cute.

I thought Stallone nailed his role. Marvel Presents #3 should go up in price. Charlie-27 was on screen, don't think he had any lines. What's his MCU backstory? He can't be from Jupiter...

Props to Kurt's make-up guy who did some computer-less de-aging for the flashback scene. They've been working together since Tango & Cash.

The top two Stan Lee/MCU theories are still in play. I suspect that will be resolved and the scenes are already in the can.

People had been complaining that the trailers gave away spoilers. Nope. Just the setup, from there it gets interesting.

It was a pretty great sequel.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Robbie
Robbie
colbalt91 wrote:
And that was Martinex T'Naga from Pluto standing next to Charlie-27, who along with Charlie-27, was an original member of the Guardians in the comic book.
edited by colbalt91 on 5/5/2017

Yep. smile
Martinex had a weird voice. Guess being crystalline does that to a person.
Pretty close to the line up on the cover of Marvel Presents #3. It sure felt like we might see them in a future movie.

In the closing credits, random text changes to "I am Groot". Pretty funny.
5/9/2017
Topic:
Some really old comics

Robbie
Robbie
WW1 era? Weird. That's 15+ years before the "comic book" format existed. There's a lot of variety in sizes and formats, Many of the pre-1930 comics haven't been documented yet,
5/10/2017
Topic:
Some really old comics

Robbie
Robbie
bustergonad wrote:
Yeah the WW1 ones are mostly Puck paper comics

Some of the soldiers in the trenches made autobiographical comics - being in a trench has a lot of down time. There was also some political stuff. Small print run, local distribution.

And there were a couple nation-wide publications - like Puck & Judge.
And some "comics" (anything with panels and word balloons) were printed in hardcover. Prior to the Crash of '29 people could buy funny books in a format meant to last.
5/10/2017
Topic:
Some really old comics

Robbie
Robbie
sclingerman wrote:
The "Gene Autry, western, Popeye, Felix the Cat, I Love Lucy, The Three Stooges" comics don't sell for what superhero ones do. It's what people like and want.
But if they're 1940s comics, and in REALLY nice condition, they could be worth anywhere from a hundred to a couple hundred each.
You'd have to give us the exact publisher, title, issue number, and publish date for us to give you specific info. And then it's all based on condition. For that you'd have to post pictures.
Some of us like doing this... we consider it fun.

I Love Lucy made its debut in 1951, so those wouldn't be from the '40s. The list of titles sound like high print run Dells from the 50s-early 60s. "Really nice" in common language generally translates to VG+ to Fine-... I think those are mostly $5-$25 books.
5/18/2017
Topic:
Defiant1's Stuff

Robbie
Robbie
Defiant1 wrote:

I can't decide if that's cool. smile

Charlton. Early pre-code. At their laziest... They had the lowest quality standards, and low pay, and lazy editors... Some creators used Charlton to tell stories the others wouldn't do. And some phoned it in - do 3 Charlton pages in the same time it that to do 1 DC page and the hourly rate was pretty nice.

We got a cop/detective comic - from the UK, in a half-hearted attempt to be interesting.
The inspector is holding a package with a clock - a cop runs in with an urgent warning... I'm supposed to drop my hard earned dime to learn the Big Reveal?

It's not a clock - it's a bomb. Right? Wow. Impressive level of not caring.

Think I'm digging the special Charlton quirkiness. Bonus points for a cover that didn't age well.

The inspector is smoking a pipe - that's not allowed anymore.
Law enforcement finds a ticking package - first assumption is 'probably a clock, I'd best pick it up and shake it'. lol...

That should count as a "terrorist attack" cover. Is that a thing yet Cool

The Mallrat promo cards are neat - didn't know those exist.
5/23/2017
Topic:
Jack Kirby thread

Robbie
Robbie
Jack Kirby was born August 28, 1917. His 100th birthday is in about 3 months. There should be a thread to share Fun Facts and pix. smile

He co-created most of the MCU titles, that's a big deal.
I think the list is:

Iron Man - Kirby

The Incredible Hulk - Kirby

Iron Man 2 - Kirby

Thor - Kirby

Captain America: The First Avenger - Kirby

Marvel's The Avengers - Kirby

Iron Man 3 - Kirby

Thor: The Dark World - Kirby

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Kirby

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers: Age of Ultron - Kirby

Ant-Man - Kirby

Captain America: Civil War - Kirby

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok - Kirby

Black Panther - Kirby

Avengers: Infinity War - Kirby

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Kirby

Captain Marvel

Untitled Avengers film - Kirby

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2

17 out of 23.
5/24/2017
Topic:
Jack Kirby thread

Robbie
Robbie
colbalt91 wrote:
I think the Captain Marvel you refer to is the DC Captain Marvel. I think I read once that he had something to do with the costume design.

The MCU Captain Marvel will be out late next year. She will also be in Avengers 3.
Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) was created in 1967 by Stan Lee & Gene Colan
Carol Danvers (no powers) was created in 1968 by Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
Carol became Ms. Marvel in 1977 thanks to Gerry Conway and John Buscema
In 2012 Ms Marvel changes her superhero name to Captain Marvel. Disney wanted to give Carol a movie, but knew Ms. Marvel wasn't a winning name anymore.
edited by Robbie on 5/24/2017
5/24/2017
Topic:
Baywatch starring Dwayne Johnson

Robbie
Robbie
The R rated Baywatch movie isn't full of bouncing naked boobs? That's not right. smile

I guess they were trying to avoid offending people who'd never watch a Baywatch movie or TV episode. Not the first TV reboot movie to miss the mark.

On the plus side; they haven't starting rebooting them all - In Space!
5/27/2017
Topic:
ROM

Robbie
Robbie
Finley2020 wrote:
BTW, whats a "car boot sale"?

people selling junk from the trunk of their car.
6/4/2017
Topic:
OUR Treasury Edition Collections

Robbie
Robbie
Defiant1 wrote:

I think this is considered to be the first treasury.
Sweet painted cover.by George Wilson. He did a lot of Gold Key covers.
6/14/2017
Topic:

Robbie
Robbie
Defiant1 wrote:
captnwilli wrote:
I came across 11 unsold issues of the one with Howard the Duck and The Defenders all in NM or better condition.
Surprisingly the most I could get on EBay was 8 or 9 dollars a piece for them. I wish I would have kept one for my pc. They're just so hard for me to store with the rest of my collection.

I store them sideways with the spine up in a magazine box. Only a few items in my collection are too big for that. I have over 3 magazine boxes full.

I have 2 comic short boxes that are a tiny bit longer than normal - they work smile
If I buy any more I'll need to start a 3rd box and get some more treasury sized backer boards.
6/14/2017
Topic:

Robbie
Robbie
Defiant1 wrote:

A low cost way to read something you'll never afford.

smile