BabaLament

all messages by user

11/10/2017
Topic:
Venom: Lethal Protector #1 - Italian Variant

BabaLament
BabaLament
Hello all!
Has anyone seen a Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Italian Variant (silver foil cover) for sale recently? One was up for sale on eBay, but the seller (in Italy) would not ship to the United States. I've asked around the local comics scene, and it's one of those "I know a guy who's heard about a guy who's seen one" items; but nobody has actually had one in-store.
I'm trying to do a Collectors Resource four-wide frame w/ Lethal Protector #1's (red foil, gold foil, black/error, & silver/Italian). I know there is a white/error out there somewhere, but its another one of those mythical issues I'll never be able to bankroll into my collection without a winning lotto ticket. So I'll be satisfied w/ the rarity of the silver issue.
Anyhow, if anyone has one they're willing to sell off, or knows a comic shop where one is hiding, please let me know in the replies.
Thanks!
11/11/2017
Topic:
2016 NYCC Comicxposure Exclusive Champions #1

BabaLament
BabaLament
Hello all!
The 2016 NYCC Comicxposure Exclusive connecting cover variants (B&W, Color, & Negative) of Champions #1 aren't in the database. These pair w/ 2016 NYCC Comicxposure Exclusive cover variants of Amazing Spider-Man #15. I sent these off to CBCS, but will post photos of the covers when they come back. However, if someone has a raw set and can post photos/add them to the database, that would be awesome.
V/R,
BabaLament
11/11/2017
Topic:
ASM 375 gold foil variant

BabaLament
BabaLament
I've got a pair of each, holo-cover & gold-cover. I haven't been following it as closely as you, but I assume everything Venom-related is going to get a bump as we get closer to the movie. ASM #300 has been climbing since the announcement too. Might want to look around and see if anyone has Venom: Sinner Takes All #3 in a bargain bin; I picked one up at a used book store that CBCS graded at 9.6.
11/15/2017
Topic:
So What Pulled You Back Into Collecting?

BabaLament
BabaLament
When moving into my new house I came across a box labeled "high school." Its been a few years, and aside from a diploma & a couple of photos w/ friends, I figured I wouldn't need much of this stuff. I opened it up, and it ended up being my old comic collection! I haven't seen these in over a decade. They were in (I thought) pretty good shape, so I sent them off to CBCS on a whim. They came back 8.5-9.8, which I thought was great. So, I wandered over to my LCS on payday...and immediately realized I need to start working lots of overtime! So now I'm back into it with a passion.
11/15/2017
Topic:
spider man 300 should oi get it graded

BabaLament
BabaLament
When sending to graders, do some research before you send it off; not all grading companies are considered equal. In my limited experience (just under 100 books) this is what I've found:

- CGC: is slightly more expensive, do not communicate well, customer service can be difficult to get on the phone, the final grades tend to be 0.1-0.3 higher than CBCS.

- CBCS: slightly less expensive, communication via website/twitter/facebook may not always reflect reality, customer service is easy to get on the phone & respond via e-mail in 1-3 days, final grades tend to be lower that books graded by CGC.

- PGX: I have not used PGX. Before sending books off for grade, I read a bunch of reddit/forum horror stories about people sending first edition/first printing books to PGX & getting second (or later) printings or re-prints back in the slab. Obviously I take anything from forums w/ a small mountain of salt, but when enough people complain about the same problem...it was enough to convince me to send my books elsewhere.
11/22/2017
Topic:
Symbiote house-cleaning.

BabaLament
BabaLament
Hello all!
I'm a huge Venom fan. So the recent Symbiote stories have been something of a roller coaster. Spoilers abound, so if you're not done reading Carnage USA, the Flash/Venom series, Venom: Space Knight, the Carnage series, Deadpool Vs. Carnage, or the current Venom arc...might want to stop now.
Toxin: The Flash/Venom arc where Eddie Brock shoots Scott Washington/Hybrid, but fails to finish off the symbiote(s) was Eddie at his most zealous nuts. Going from that to being forcibly bonded w/ Toxin was awesome. I wasn't much a fan of the original Toxin design, but the buffed-out Eddie version worked for me. Pity we didn't see how Eddie/Toxin went from Symbiote hunter to government agent (replacing Flash on the payroll). Also, the art direction in the Carnage series...really? Eddie/Toxin art design was a poor imitation of Agent Venom in that entire series, while Carnage was given a whole new monster-look. In the end, Toxin was sacrificed in fittingly heroic fashion, but that has problems of its own too that I'll cover later.
Scorn: We haven't seen Scorn since Carnage USA. Last we saw she was on the government payroll, sort of as a trainee, in the same program as Agent Venom and the split-apart Hybrid symbiotes that were formed up into Mercury Team. However, during the Carnage series Scorn is nowhere to be found, even though Eddie/Toxin is sent in as a special weapon. Additionally, during the Lee Price Venom run, the government symbiote squad commander says they have Eddie Brock, but no symbiotes, to respond to Lee Price's public meltdown. So what happened to Scorn?
Hybrid: Eddie Brock killed Scott Washington/Hybrid during the Flash/Venom series. Having their host(s) killed (again!) by Eddie Brock, the symbiotes were "broken" (as described by Scorn in Carnage USA). The Hybrid symbiotes were picked up by the government & used as Mercury Team, giving the soldiers enhanced abilities, but not bonding to their hosts in the traditional way. Mercury Team was then wiped out by Carnage during Deadpool Vs. Carnage, and the symbiotes collectively bonded to Deadpool (which we know from the Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars & Back in Black arc's to be...not necessarily a good thing for the symbiotes mental health). After delivering a world-class beating to Carnage, Deadpool released the symbiotes., who haven't been seen since. Now, I'm hoping we get to see Hybrid again soon, and that he/she is completely badass/nuts. These symbiotes (Phage, Riot, Lasher, Agony) and their hosts have been "killed" by Eddie Brock (twice!) (Separation Anxiety & Flash/Venom arc), Scream, and Carnage. They've been bonded to Deadpool, which was likely further non-conductive to good mental health. These symbiotes have been traumatized time and time again; thus making them the perfect choice to re-merge and become a serious villain/challenge to the newly reformed Eddie/Venom.
Mania: I'm slightly irritated here. I though the Venom clone angle was dumb during the 2003/4 Venom run, where his "tongue" was separated and went nuts all on its own. However, the bond between Flash/Venom & Andi/Mania was pretty cool, and it was actually nice to see Flash take on a mentorship role. Now they've gone and screwed everything up by taking a perfectly good character in Mania, and giving us an idiotic villain in Maniac. Crappy trade if you ask me. I hope Andi gets back into a symbiote (Hybrid?) and lays an epic beating down on Maniac so we can be rid of Lee Price for good. It would also be neat to see Flash/Anti-Venom try and reconcile his new role w/ his previous relationship to Andi. Could be neat seeing how being anti-Venom affects their mentorship.
Carnage: Cletus got his li' red butt kicked at the end of the recent Carnage run. However, his final disposition was never explained. Is his symbiote still magically enhanced, or is he back to being the normal Carnage? Also, his recent spawn (Raze) was destroyed, so if the Symbiote spawn counter is truly six (Venom's six spawn: Carnage, Scream, Agony, Lasher, Phage, Riot, as described during Separation Anxiety, he's got no spawn remaining), then Carnage has three down (Toxin, Scorn, Raze) and three to go.
Anti-Venom: As though Flash wasn't obnoxious before! Still, it's probably a better fit for his character, and it brings back the Agent Venom look. I would like to see how his relationship to Mania plays out, as well as how he gets along with Venom and/or Hybrid should Marvel ever get around to re-using him.
Venom: Eddie Brock...you are so screwed. Apparently the Venom symbiote is sick, as well as far more advanced than it was years ago. Its now an active, sentient participant in the pairing. That might not be such a good thing, as its access to Eddie's thoughts means it can review his recent past. His time as Anti-Venom, trying to kill Venom while bonded to Mac Garagan (which apparently the Symbiote is quite willing to forgive, as it hated Mac...or says it did...) followed by his self-sacrifice during Spider-Island, his time as an anti-Symbiote vigilante where he assassinated Scott Washington/Hybrid, and his time as Toxin where he sacrificed himself to prevent Carnage's master plan. As much as Venom wants to be a hero, Eddie's penchant for sacrificing his symbiotes has got to make Venom slightly nervous ("Know about Toxin Eddie." That was a great oh-crap moment for Eddie Brock!). Gotta wonder if Venom is willing to make the same call, and sacrifice Eddie Brock for the "greater good" should the opportunity arise. I'd also like to see Eddie/Venom interact with Mania, Flash/Anti-Venom, even Scorn; just to see where the opinions range across the remaining symbiotes; even Carnage, it would be interesting to see how Eddie/Venom measures up against Eddie/Toxin when in conflict with Carnage.
Let me know what you think guys!
11/27/2017
Topic:
Dark Horse / Kenner 1992 Aliens Mini-Comics

BabaLament
BabaLament
Hello all!

Going back through my old comics & found a couple of the Dark Horse Aliens mini-comics that came with the 1992 Kenner Aliens & Aliens Vs Predator action figures. I've done a little digging online, and apparently there are between 12 and 15 of these, with an original story that has (to date) not been reproduced/reprinted.

Does anyone have a set of these in good shape as a reference, to add to the CPG Database? Also...any idea as to worth? Some of the toys are still dirt cheap (Bishop - Comic #1 - $3.99 MOC @ eBay), but others (Snake Alien - Comic #9 - $20.00+ @ eBay) are getting pricey just to buy it for the mini-comic; and the only individual comic issues that I've found in good shape have been $30-50 each.

Just wondering. I'm an Aliens fan, and these seem like a cool little set to frame up and hang on the wall. If anyone has any information, please follow up in a post.

Thanks!
12/1/2017
Topic:
Dark Horse / Kenner 1992 Aliens Mini-Comics

BabaLament
BabaLament
I picked up a set of the toys that are MOC. Going to remove the comics & send them to CBCS. It'll be something neat to put on a shelf next to the rest of the Aliens books.
12/8/2017
Topic:
Missing: Kenner Toys Exclusive Dark Horse Aliens

BabaLament
BabaLament
01. TITLE: Aliens

02. PUBLISHER: Dark Horse Comics

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: USA
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: USA
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: 1 - Desert Storm
06. COVER PRICE: $4.99 (Action Figure & Comic)
07. DATE: 1992
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Norman Felchle
Inked by - Mark McKenna
Lettered by - Dan Nakrosis
Cover(s) by - Joe Phillips
Edited by - Dan Thorsland

09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed):
10. ISBN/ISSN# (If Listed):
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available): http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_(Kenner_comics)
==========================================================================
05. ISSUE #: 2 - Operation Rescue
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Denis Rodier
Inked by - Denis Rodier
Cover(s) by - Mark A. Nelson

11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available): http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_(Kenner_comics)
==============================================================================
05. ISSUE #: 3 - Hive War
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by -Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Joe Phillips
Inked by - John Dell

05. ISSUE #: 4 - Jungle Attack
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Tony Harris
Inked by - Tony Harris

05. ISSUE #: 5 - Meltdown
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Rick Hoberg
Inked by - Ian Akin

===============================================================================
05. ISSUE #: 6 - Showdown
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - Brandon McKinney
Inked by - Karl Kesel

05. ISSUE #: 7 - Stampede
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - William Knapp
Inked by - Robert Campanella

05. ISSUE #: 8 - Fireball
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - David Johnson
Inked by - David Johnson

05. ISSUE #: 9 - Night Strike
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written By - Dan Jolley
Illustrated by - John Nadeau
Inked by - Steve Moncuse

05. ISSUE #: 10 - Swarm
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Inked by - Steve Moncuse

05. ISSUE #: 11 - Terrordome
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Inked by - Billy Ray Marimon

05. ISSUE #: 12 - Ice Storm
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Jolley
Inked by - John Nadeau

05. ISSUE #: 13 - Aliens vs. Predator: The Ultimate Battle
06. COVER PRICE: $9.99 (Two Action Figures & Comic)
08. ISSUE NOTES:
Written by - Dan Thorsland
Illustrated by - Brandon McKinney
Inked by - Karl Kesel
Edited by - Barbara Kesel

12/16/2017
Topic:
Missing: Robyn Hood: I Love NY #9 ECCC Exclusive

BabaLament
BabaLament
01. TITLE: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/robyn-hood-i-love-ny/xivuo

02. PUBLISHER: Zenescope

05. ISSUE #: 9 ECCC Exclusive Jamie Tyndall Gwenom Variant Cover
06. COVER PRICE: $3.99
07. DATE: February 2017
08. ISSUE NOTES: Cover by Jamie Tyndall, Art by Sergio Arino, Renan Shody, & Riverio, Story by Joe Brusha
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available):
edited by Babalament on 12/16/2017
1/6/2018
Topic:
Venomverse #1 Skyline Variant

BabaLament
BabaLament

01. TITLE: Venomverse

02. PUBLISHER: Marvel

05. ISSUE #: 1
06. COVER PRICE: $4.99
07. DATE: November 2017
08. ISSUE NOTES: Scorpion Comics NYCC 2017 Exclusive "Skyline" variant; cover swipe of Amazing Spider-Man #700 "Skyline" variant.
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available):
*Note, www.photobucket.com is a free image hosting website and good place to host your cover scans.