ComicsDude

all messages by user

10/16/2018
Topic:
What are you currently collecting?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Ooooo...what a great topic for my first post!

DC

Superman
Action Comics
Detective Comics
Batman
Hawkman
Justice League
Justice League Odyssey
Doomsday Clock
Mister Miracle
Flash
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan and the GLC

Marvel

Captain America
Avengers
Star Wars
Darth Vader
Black Panther

I'll probably be adding Shazam and Aquaman to the list.
10/16/2018
Topic:
Have you seen Hawkman #2 Variant?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Oh crap I've never seen this variant before. That is beautiful.
10/16/2018
Topic:
Doomsday Clock bringing back Justice Society

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Well since Geoff Johns is the one writing this series, I feel like they're coming back with their pre-N52 history intact. Same with the LSH. I think Johns and the rest of DC realize that they made a huge mistake with rebooting everything with Flashpoint and Doomsday Clock is their way of fixing it.

And yes, I realize that I'm replying to an 8 month old post.
10/17/2018
Topic:
Characters interacting with title on cover

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Well I needed something fun to do this morning!

Batman #539 - He's trying to use the "Batman" title to pull him out of something.

Edit: also X-Men #56 with the Living Pharaoh/Monolith grabbing the X-Men title.
edited by Seantimus_Prime on 10/17/2018
10/17/2018
Topic:
SUPERMAN #75 - PLATINUM VARIANT

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Well I don't know much about the value of the books between opened and unopened, but I have both in my collection. If I was trying to fill a hole in my collection today...I'd probably go for unopened first because I'm a reader. I don't collect for money...just for my own desire to own every issue of something and I actively read some of my stuff.
10/17/2018
Topic:
Superheroes/villains wearing each others costumes

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
  • Norman Osborn put villains in hero costumes for his Dark Avengers. I think it was Mac Gargan/Venom as Black Costume Spidey, Moonstone as Ms. Marvel, Daken as Wolverine, Bullseye as Hawkeye.
  • Deathstroke impersonated Batman in Outsiders Volume 3. He was feeding Roy Harper false information. I think the reveal happened in issue 21.
  • I don't know if this counts, but Hush has impersonated Bruce Wayne for quite some time.
10/24/2018
Topic:
Variant covers: How many is too much?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
The above was my post. Page keeps on logging me out for some reason.
10/30/2018
Topic:
Variant covers: How many is too much?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
rperryx2000 wrote:
I personally am not a fan of every issue having a variant cover. I feel it cheapens the whole gimmick but from a business perspective it makes a lot of sense. And yes I am guilty of promoting the practice. I remember spending a lot of time and money tracking down the gold and vvs variants of Valiant comics from the early 90s. I also got the Stanley Lau variant covers for Catwoman 2,3, and 4.

This is my thought exactly. It's just an overdone gimmick. I understand that it's a thing now and a lot of collectors have bought into the gimmick. It's just annoying to me.
11/2/2018
Topic:
Batman #47 (Must Kill Booster Gold)

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Yeah it was a pretty meh story to me. King has been losing his touch since that story arc.
11/5/2018
Topic:
Batman #47 (Must Kill Booster Gold)

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
kds_comics wrote:
rperryx2000 wrote:
I'll try not to spoil the story but the short answer is that Booster does not get killed. Booster wants to get Batman a wedding gift and his "gift" leads to an alternate timeline that is reverted to the original timeline at the end of the story.

See - I knew it was a Zombie or an alternate time line!!! Good guess for five months ago. No flux capacitor needed!

Actually I think Booster Gold is a interesting character as originally written - DC just has not done a lot to develop him IMHO.
Too often DC just through him in as comic relief. I think I still have the JLE issue where Booster and Blue Beetle go to hell and make pancakes (or was it burgers? I forget) for hungry demons - literally!

Have not read the new story...
edited by kds_comics on 11/4/2018

IMO Booster hasn't been good since his last solo series that Johns started. I never finished it since I got out of comics around the time it ended, but I never liked how they portrayed him during N52 time.
11/14/2018
Topic:
What Comics Came Out During Your Birth Month?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
This just popped into my head the other day. I was wondering what comics came out the month I was born - August 1982. I was also curious if any of them were worthwhile. Here's what I found:

Marvel

Daredevil #185 - one of Frank Miller's Daredevils, but nothing special happened.
Fantastic Four #245 - one of Byrne's issues. Nothing special.
Uncanny X-Men #160 - first appearance of S'ym

DC

Batman #350 - Nothing special.
Green Lantern vol. 2 #155 - Nothing special, but a really cool cover.
Tales of the New Teen Titans #3 - origin of Changeling/Beast Boy.
Night Force #1
Legion of Super-Heroes #290 - Cool cover. Darkseid is behind the scenes.

So how about you all? Hopefully someone else has cooler comics in the birth month than I did!
11/14/2018
Topic:
What Comics Came Out During Your Birth Month?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Ronbatman wrote:
For once being older is going to help me. There were at least 6 books that weren't published in my month. So the every other month thing was going on for Aquaman, Jimmy Olsen, Showcase, Green Lantern, and Daredevil. It's a shame because Daredevil #7 is the first red costume. Except for Brave and the Bold, the following books are each over $1000.

Marvel
Avengers #16 - 1st new lineup
Tales of Suspense #65 - 1st Silver Age Red Skull
Uncanny X-men #11 - 1st Stranger

DC
Batman #171 - 1st Silver Age Riddler
Brave and the Bold #59 - Featured Batman and Green Lantern

Seems appropriate that the DC theme for my month is Batman.

I am incredibly jealous.
11/30/2018
Topic:
1st Appearances of Marvel Characters

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Hi all! First time caller, long time listener here! Wait...that's talk radio. Anyways, I plan on writing more blog posts soon and I decided to help out with the massive undertaking of a 1st appearance list for significant Marvel characters. I'm sure I've missed a few, so if I did, let me know and I'll update it. Enjoy!

http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/11/28/1st-appearances-for-marvel-comics-characters/
12/3/2018
Topic:
1st Appearances of Marvel Characters

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Well done!

Beyonder (Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1)
Carol Danvers (Marvel Super-Heroes #13)
Bill Foster (Avengers #32)
Groot (Tales to Astonish #13- You have it listed as Annihilation: Conquest – Star-Lord #1)
Hellcat (Patsy Walker first appears in Miss America Magazine #2 Nov 1944, not FF Ann #3)
Moonboy (Devil Dinosaur #1)

Thanks. I will add the Beyonder and Moonboy. As far as Carol Danvers, I have her listed under Captain Marvel. I know I have Bill Foster somewhere, but I'll need to hunt for it. The Groot you mention is not the same Groot as the one we all know. Lastly, I'll need to research Hellcat.
12/3/2018
Topic:
What was your first comic?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Honestly, I don't remember. I think it was some random issue of Marvel's Transformers series.
12/3/2018
Topic:
Superheroes/villains wearing each others costumes

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
While doing my massive undertaking of reading every Daredevil comic ever, I came across an issue of Black Panther dressing up as Daredevil, issue 92.
12/3/2018
Topic:
The Predator movie

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
I forgot that this already came out. I need to rent it when it's available. Love Predator movies!
12/3/2018
Topic:
The Terrifics

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Ronbatman wrote:
I enjoy space-related comics so the Terrifics might be something I'll pick up tonight at my LCS.

On a related note, I just checked the pricing for Spectre 54 (1st appearance of Mr. Terrific) and it's selling well. I made a few price adjustments so that it reflects the current market.
edited by ronbatman on 3/7/2018

I almost had a copy of that for $20! I fell asleep though and someone outbid me at the last second.

I really love this series. I didn't think I would, but it has really grabbed my attention. Love the addition of Tom Strong too!
12/3/2018
Topic:
Who is the oddest member of The Avengers?

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
I'd probably go with Eros/Starfox, Sersi, or Stingray.

Great article though!
12/3/2018
Topic:
Marvel Netflix Series Cancellations

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
I didn't see this topic posted so I figured I'd make a thread for it.

We all know that 3 out of the 5 Marvel series on Netflix were cancelled: Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil. Now I can understand the first two. Iron Fist never really picked up steam (even though Season 2 was A LOT better than 1) and Cage seemed to lose viewership. The real punch in the face was Daredevil getting cancelled. That didn't make sense whatsoever because this season was the best to date. After doing some reading, it appears that Marvel/Disney and Netflix decided to end their partnership due to the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. I only hope that this means these shows will return in some form. Maybe a Heroes For Hire show with Luke and Danny and a new Daredevil series - call it Daredevil: The Man Without Fear or something.

A lot of people seem to think this won't be the case since the Disney+ streaming service won't have mature titles on it, which we don't know for sure. I can see them doing a separate channel that has parental blockers on it. Kinda how Netflix has that option.

What are everyone's thoughts?