Gilgandra

all messages by user

1/5/2016
Topic:
WHAT'S HOT, WHAT'S NOT

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
dogsupreme wrote:
Here are some books that I think are ripe for speculation and dirt cheap right now. I would get high grade copies out of the bargain bins if you come across them. Remember NOVA #1 and MS.MARVEL #1 were once bargain bin fodder:

POWER PACK #1-I think it is only a matter of time that Disney will develop this property and right now high grade copies can be gotten for less than $5.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK #1-This is the first comic appearance of INDIANA JONES and dirt cheap in high grade. I think if Disney does more Indy movies this could start to rise.

MICRONAUTS #1-1st appearance of the Micronauts

SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN #133- All the attention is on #134 but 133 is the first appearance of the Kirby's FOURTH WORLD and greatly overlooked and undervalued.

BRAVE AND BOLD #85-1st modern GREEN ARROW. With the new ARROW series on a roll this is a greatly overlooked book and it also has great Neal Adams art

ADVENTURE COMICS #250-this is considered the 1st Silver age GREEN ARROW. New origin with art by Jack Kirby

Nice list DS. I'm after Jimmy Olsen #133 & 134 (a little hard to find at the moment).
Power Pack is cool & I didn't know about Adventure Comics #250 (have to keep an eye out for that one) Not the biggest fan of Green Arrow but a sweet Jack Kirby Origin issue.
1/5/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CapnDoug wrote:
I'm so glad the forums are back. I always enjoyed seeing everyone's collections and showing off some of my finds. But since the site went down, I've kind of gone a bit nuts in terms of buying. I've been buying a bunch of collections lately. Taking what I want, selling my duplicates and just generally enjoying the thrill of the hunt. I actually spent $1900 on a collection recently, loaded with Avengers and Uncanny X-Men that I needed. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

For those that don't remember or just never saw, my name is Doug, I'm 32 and live in Vancouver, Canada. I started collecting in about 1991 with the Ninja Turtles, then moved on to Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers (one of my long time favourites), and some nice Sci-Fi titles like Killraven. I have a pretty eclectic collection thanks to going to my local store pretty much every week for over a decade. I only recently got back into collecting, and over the summer, I discovered the value that comes from buying collections. As a result, my collection has almost doubled in size this year and I've gotten some pretty odd stuff. It helps that I've gotten my girlfriend into collecting, too.

Right now, I have almost 11,000 comics in my collection, some 3000 of which came since the site went down. I've beefed up my runs of Avengers, Batman, Uncanny X-Men and even have an almost complete collection of New Teen Titans now.Seriously, I'm only missing one issue of the first series and not an expensive one. It's actually to the point that I had so much stuff to show off from recent acquisitions, that it would have almost have been easier to start my thread over. At this point, I'm going to need to get the new stuff in new bags and boards so it can get properly sorted into my collection, so getting some more scans together would be pretty easy.

But until that happens, here are some of the things I already have scanned:

This was a gift. It's not in great condition, but still... I thin I have it graded at 3.5, but it might grade a bit higher.

This was a collection purchase where I actually felt like I ripped the guy off. I bought a long box with a bunch of Daredevil in it along with a box of random stuff. Total cost was $55. But the box had a virtually complete run from Daredevil #168-#330. I have this one in about 9.0.

This was part of my brother's collection. Not sure where he got it, really.

I bought this off eBay, years ago. Paid $26 according to my database.

And let's close with some Batman...

That cost me cover price.

More will be coming soon. Like... when I get a handle on my collection again. I've started selling my duplicates at conventions, which frees up a little space.

G'day Doug, I like that Bat's #608. Nice books indeed sir.
1/5/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
netstuffers wrote:
stevegreer1 wrote:
Wow, forum reboot! Glad to see the forum back. Anyway, I recently made a nice purchase of Excalibur issue 1 - 50 (paid about $26.00 with shipping). Loving it so far! I think that Excalibur is one of those overlooked series' that was/is actually a great series well worth the reading. Personally, I think Disney/Marvel could easily do an Excalibur movie. There are already two
X-Men characters, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat, which would help the X-Fans relate. And come on, I mean, if they can make an Ant-Man movie, then certainly Excalibur would be worth it.
Alrighty then, let's get to posting and make this forum active again!

Welcome back! We'll start advertising the forums next week after we work out a couple more kinks, so I expect a lot of new members to start wandering by soon wink

I only have issue #1 Lol. never read any others (that i can remember anyway).

Thanks for bringing the Forum back you guys, Very cool indeed.
1/5/2016
Topic:
What happened to the old forums?

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Awesome, New forum...Sad to have lost all the old info but we can start anew!
Nice B'Day present for me Lol happy birthday
1/5/2016
Topic:
DOG'S COMIC HOUSE

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Your brother has one sweet collection...Damn OMG
1/6/2016
Topic:
-Brownchikano's Recent Comic Pick Ups-

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
brownchikano wrote:
Glad to see this place back up.
Happy new years to all and hope to see tbe old gang come back and hope to see a lot of new faces. Consider this my back issue picks 2.0 ill be posting back issue purchases, new issue pick ups, and cgc/cbcs submissions. So lets kick this into action.

**looks like i cant add photos from phone, ill editwhen i get home**

Look forward to it dude!
1/6/2016
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
G'Day Ruk. Good to see all is back up & Running. Look forward to talking in the future.

Latest update.

Issues: 3,461
Total: 30,031.76

Till next time mate.
-Gilgandra.
1/6/2016
Topic:
Any Graphic Novel Recommendations?

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Here are some fantastic recent pickups i got.

Jack the Ripper (Dark Horse)
The Sandman Overture (DC/Vertigo)
Thanos Cosmic Powers (Marvel) Reprints Secret Defenders #12-14 & the most awesome 90's series Comic Powers #1-6.
Hellboy in Hell: The Decent TPB (Dark Horse) Reprints Hellboy in Hell #1-5 There is a second one coming to complete the series. #1-8
This was easily the best read of the year for me.

Hope that helps.
1/6/2016
Topic:
-Brownchikano's Recent Comic Pick Ups-

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
brownchikano wrote:
Updated Gil!

rock on
edited by brownchikano on 1/6/2016

Sweet 9.8 slabs you have there BC. Keep them coming.
I'll start my own thread at the end of this week, But you've already seen those few.
1/6/2016
Topic:
Batman The Killing Joke

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Those books are no Joke hahano

Seriously, Fantastic find rgeer!
1/7/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra Back Issues 2.0

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
G'day fellow collectors, Well after the demise of our first forum (took me two years to build a back issues thread Lol).
But it's all good now & i'm happy to start anew!

So here we go...Enjoy.

Ghost Rider #15, Vol.3. July 1991. One of my favorite covers.

DC Comics Super Heroes, NM. 1989, 5th printing give'a'way.

The Vertigo Gallery #1, NM. January 1995. Cameo: Preacher. This came out the same month as Absolute Vertigo. Has only one pin up of the preacher gang.

Hellblazer #27, VF. March 1990. Scarce book & Has the night breed insert, I have 3 copies now Cool

edited by Gilgandra on 4/27/2018
1/7/2016
Topic:
DOG'S COMIC HOUSE

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Nice slabs DS that Star Wars #1 has paid of big time.
I though the copies i got early last year for $80 was a little to much Lol.
1/7/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Thanks Tex!
Good to see you visit me friend

I'm now after one more Hellblazer #27 slabbed (it won't cheap) but i'll try in the near future.
1/7/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra's movies & TV series collection.

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I thought i'd show some of my movie/TV collection that i have recently bought...Enjoy!

The Robocop movies are self explanatory but has anyone heard of the Robocop TV series that came out in 1994. Very 80's & one hell of a satisfactory series. If your a fan go & track it down. Thumbs Up

Most of you good people will have heard of Studio Ghibli. If you haven't then please crawl out of the proverbial shadow your in
Must admit, Only just seen My Neighbor Totoro well what a heart warming film. Arrietty is most brilliant in every way, You'll love it.

Here is something that was not shown in the States or Canada (that i'm aware of) Monkey or Magic Monkey.
Tells the Chinese 16th century story the (Journey to the West) 1978-80. Made by the Japanese (Filmed in China/Mongolia) who featured a girl (Masako Natsume) as the boy priest, Unfortunately she died of acute leukemia at age 27 in 1985.

My favorite TV show as a kid, I'd run...Yes! Run home from school to see it in the early 80's.
So many quotes, Best show ever Boogy Dance

Last but not least is Adventure Time Complete series 1-6. I'm a huge fan of the series, Quite dark in areas & funny. Or just plain madness Lol. Oh! yes...BMO is insane Duhh

edited by Gilgandra on 4/27/2018
1/7/2016
Topic:
DOG'S COMIC HOUSE

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Thanks DS, My copy of #1 is around the 8.0-8.5 (good enough for me). My #2 is of a higher grade.
I am also lucky to have a good copy of #107 HTF last copy in the series. Might post it in my back issue thread one day!
1/7/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Never seen that JLA #108 before Doug!
Sweet buys mate.
1/8/2016
Topic:
Post Pictures of Your Comic Room!

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I see the CPG office Batman has some bling Lol.

You have one hell of a collection GAC Wow.
1/9/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
axchou wrote:
Nice comics, I liked that Ghost Rider comic since I was a kid.

Thanks Axchou smile
It's one of my favorites from that time (90's) as well. Been a Texeira cover is a bonus
1/9/2016
Topic:
CROW'S NEST

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
G'day Mr. Crow (welcome back)
Damn those are nice ST, Especially that 9.2 #151. I have a 2 raw copies now. One being around the 8.0
Great work man.
1/9/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra's movies & TV series collection.

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Kairi wrote:
Hooray for Studio Ghibli! Big Grin I absolutely love My Neighbor Totoro; it's such a great movie. Totoro is so adorable too! I haven't had a chance to see Arrietty yet, but I heard that one was supposed to be good! I will have to see if I can see that soon!

I haven't heard of Monkey before, but that sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out if I can although I'm not sure if I'll be able to find that here.

Thanks for sharing! smile

Arrietty is a anime take on The Borrowers. It is good!
Monkey as i said was never shown in the states. It can be bought from the UK or here in Australia. Some nostalgic marshal arts fight scenes. Dubbed out in English with much humor & the acting for it's time was brilliant.
They are all gods that were kicked out of heaven for various reasons & left to roam earth, One as a Pig god & a Fish god. Monkey was always King Monkey who self proclaimed himself to be a "great sage, equal of heaven". As a laugh the gods gave him the most important job of looking after the "Garden of immortality" were Monkey got hungry & ate all the peaches that take a 1000 yrs to ripen.
He becomes immortal, all wise & powerful, As punishment Buddha encased him in rock as heavy as a mountain for 500 yrs with a special note (spell) that won't let him lift it. Until a kindly priest came along who hired his services to take him from China to India.
Thus it all begins...
edited by Gilgandra on 1/10/2016
1234 ..58