Gilgandra

all messages by user

1/9/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra's movies & TV series collection.

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
williebatz wrote:
Ah, Robocop tv series. I don't remember much plot wise but I know I liked watching the tv series. Too bad it was only for one season.

Studio Ghibli makes some great anime films. Haven't seen My Neighbor Totoro though. Seen Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Also a fan of Adventure Time. Also like Regular Show.
edited by williebatz on 1/8/2016
edited by williebatz on 1/8/2016

How good is Howls moving Castle Billy Crystal as Calcifer is awesome.
Totoro is magical. Can't believe it came out in 1988 same year as Akira & Grave of the Firefly's.

I liked the crazy future (ultra Violent) adds & the news on the Robocop TV series.
edited by Gilgandra on 1/9/2016
edited by Gilgandra on 1/10/2016
1/11/2016
Topic:
What do you do for fun?

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Working Working...

Walking & light weights (getting too old now Lol)
Playing old & new video game's. Collecting vintage computer game's.
Talking & whingeing about new TV & movies compared to the better older stuff!
1/12/2016
Topic:
TNT's TV show "Titans" is dead.

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
rdevil13 wrote:
TNT is ditching most of its procedural, cookie-cutter programming for more "cinematic fare" in an attempt to rebrand itself as a "darker, edgier" entity, which is why it passed on Titans according to Kevin Reilly, the new president of TNT & TBS. Diane Nelson's job is to oversee development of TV
shows, movies, games, comics, etc. using DC's portfolio of 3000+ licensed characters & properties, but it is the sole province of the network bosses to decide what to greenligjht. Since she took over, DC's TV line-up has exploded with eight DC Entertainment TV shows airing during the 2015-16 season: Arrow, The Flash, iZombie, & Legends of Tomorrow, (CW), Lucifer & Gotham (FOX)), Supergjrl (CBS) and Teen Titans Go! (Cartoon Network), just as DC's big-screen efforts begin with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), The LEGO Batman Movie (2017), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League Part 1 (2017), The Flash (2018), Aquaman (2018), Shazam (2019), Justice League Part 2 (2019), Cyborg (2020) and Green Lantern Corps (2020). Nelson heads up DC's interactive division. There are currently 35 million monthly active users playing WBIE games based on DC heroes and other Warner-licensed properties such as Lego and Mortal Kombat. DC's direct-to-home video catalog (2016 titles include Batman: Bad Blood; Batman: The Killing Joke; JLA vs. Teen Titans) has dwarfed Marvel's releases. She's going to feel really stupid when she finds out her success is the result of an organized effort on behalf of Warner's top brass to check out her average-sized boobs on a regular basis.

Although i don't get to watch most of those show's (can't afford Pay TV) I'm rather excited for it all.
Been collecting the darker DC books for years & can't wait to see them.
1/12/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra Back Issues 2.0

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
axchou wrote:
texranger37 wrote:
axchou wrote:
Lol, Tex. Bringing your thread down.

btw. if you remember Azxc, I'm him. Used 2 different usernames when I registered a long time ago.

WHAAAAAAAT??!?!?!?!?

OF COURSE I REMEMBER AZXC!!!

DUDE!! I had no idea!! I knew you were awesome, but I had no idea that Gilgangra was the Clark Kent to AZXC's Superman. LOL!!

MY BROTHER!!

TEX

Tex. sorry for the confusion. Gilgandra is Gilgandra lol. My username for the price guide is Axchou and Azxc for the forums which unfortunately is no more along with my thread. But that doesn't matter, I haven't posted much. Maybe one day I will start up a thread again.

Yes I remember you Azxc.
Please...Start anew & get that awesome thread going!!!
1/12/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Thought i'd show some of the older books from my last thread i had.
This is for anyone who has the need for a an awesome collection, Hope i've inspired you...Enjoy!

ASM #65, NM. October 1968. I was lucky to have bought this from a great seller who kept it for me. He said it was to good to have given it to just anyone...Much appreciated i was. It will be slabbed one day!

UXM #127, -NM. November 1979. One of the best ever X-Men story arcs. What a movie it would make!

Strange Tales #135, F. August 1965. 1st App: S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, Hydra, Imperial Hydra, Agent H & S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.

Fantastic Four Annual #2, -VF. September 1964. Origin of Dr.Doom, 1st App: Doomstadt & Dr. Doom's Castle.

JLA: Riddle of the Beasts (Elseworlds) HC, February 2002. Cover by Justin Sweet. HTF HC.

Batman #243, -NM. August 1972. Early Lazarus Pit. Neil Adams cover.

Warrior Magazine, -VF. March 1982. 1st App: V for Vendetta & Modern Age Marvel-man (Miracleman)

Secret Origins Special, -F. June 1961. Well what can i say...1st reprint of all the best DC had to offer at the time, Including The Flash. Not an easy book to find in any condition, Paid $40 for this copy smile

Supernatural Thrillers #1, VF. December 1972. 1st App: It. Jim Steranko cover. Not a book that's seen all that often.

Batman Adventures Special: Mad Love, NM. February 1994. Origin: Harley Quinn & Her 2nd Appearance. Everyone's after a copy of this book, But it was low print.

edited by Gilgandra on 4/28/2018
1/12/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
brownchikano wrote:
Awesome books Gil!!
I love Harley, just got a sweet harley book back from CGC myself.

Mad loves one of my favorite covers, got 2 issues myself, looking for more though as mine are not NM+

Must admit, Never thought of getting another copy. They just don't turn up often enough.
1/12/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CapnDoug wrote:
I saw a copy of that Supernatural Thrillers #1 at a con a few months back from a great seller. Ended up buying some of the Sterenko X-Men instead. I keep wondering if I should have tried to cut a better deal and add one more comic to the bundle. Didn't realize that it was a hard issue to find. You have a whole whack of cool issues there, Gil.

Thanks Doug!
Supernatural Thrillers #1 isn't rare but i think it was one of those books that wasn't popular in the day, So maybe many copies were ruined by time or just thrown out. It is very hard to find in a higher grade.
I have never seen a copy of number 2. Which also graces a cover by Steranko. I have both reprints of them (Masters of Terror) Magazine.
1/12/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CapnDoug wrote:
So... people like Batman? Well, so do I. And there were a bunch in the collection Like this:

Clearly a reader copy. But Even the more modern ones in the collection are mostly ones I don't have.

There were actually a number of Brave and the Bold in there. I have a slightly cooler one to show off in the recent pick ups, but that will happen once I get it in the new bag and board. #85...

It's a good collection for Batman....

Also the Flash.... lot of the Flash in there....

Let's do one more post for the stuff I have scanned so far....

Nice Detective #478 Doug!
I'm a huge fan of Clayface but sadly own nothing of him. I look forward to finding some material in my collecting future.
1/12/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CapnDoug wrote:
So, the big difficulty of buying a collection like this is trying to figure out what I paid for everything. I could always just say "I paid $6 for each issue," but that doesn't really seem right. Especially when that means that I'll be putting a few duplicates that I bought for $6 into my dollar bin at the con. Issues like Defenders #129... yeah.... So, what I have to do next is get everything graded (because there's no way that I'm getting a 10 cent Lois Lane for $6 in 9.4), figure out the total graded value of everything that I bought, divide the total price paid (including shipping) by that figure and start applying that percentage to every issue. It's a lot of work, but the figures must be accurate! Only time I don't bother is when I get things for under a buck an issue. Then, it really doesn't matter. Anyway, back to what was in there:

I have a pretty good collection of Daredevil now, and this collection just helped shore that up. Even got a reader copy of #10. It's pretty rough, though. Like, someone tried to trace Daredevil since there are all these weird impressions all over the outline of Daredevil. Moving on....

There are about half a dozen JLA issues in there. A bunch of which will help me with the Dick Dillin run. This one? Not so much, but it's cool, at least.

So, these were the reason that I bought the collection. A bunch of X-Men that I didn't have. Sadly, both have serious flaws that I either didn't see or were well hidden in the photos. I've been pretty good at spotting the "too good to be true" flaws that eBayers try to hide, but with this, if nothing else, it was a large set that I was buying.

Just kind of cool. Getting so many Teen Titans stuff lately. And so many duplicates. Not of this one, though.

That's all for now. As I go through the issues, I'll probably post one or two more if they end up being cool.

I'd like to find a NM copy of that UXM #115.
1/13/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
aarondawe wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
CapnDoug wrote:
I saw a copy of that Supernatural Thrillers #1 at a con a few months back from a great seller. Ended up buying some of the Sterenko X-Men instead. I keep wondering if I should have tried to cut a better deal and add one more comic to the bundle. Didn't realize that it was a hard issue to find. You have a whole whack of cool issues there, Gil.

Thanks Doug!
Supernatural Thrillers #1 isn't rare but i think it was one of those books that wasn't popular in the day, So maybe many copies were ruined by time or just thrown out. It is very hard to find in a higher grade.
I have never seen a copy of number 2. Which also graces a cover by Steranko. I have both reprints of them (Masters of Terror) Magazine.

You mean these?

I have to get better pictures, but I believe my #1 is upper grade (but perhaps not high grade).

My first post to the new forum (I preferred being 'thatjerk', but I guess I'm stuck with my price guide ID now. I find the new forum slow to load, so not sure how much I'll be posting.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 1/12/2016

G'day Aaron good to see you back. It doesn't load slow for me. I hope you start up a back issue thread!
Wow that's them, I have them all bar #2...Very cool indeed sir.
1/13/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Crowman wrote:
Nice scores there, especially the ST #135.

I think by memory i picked it up for around $40 Mr. Crow, It is a nice book indeed (slab worthy)
1/13/2016
Topic:

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
texranger37 wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Thought i'd show some of the older books from my last thread i had.
This is for anyone who has the need for a an awesome collection, Hope i've inspired you...Enjoy!

ASM #65, NM. October 1968. I was lucky to have bought this from a great seller who kept it for me. He said it was to good to have given it to just anyone...Much appreciated i was. It will be slabbed one day!

UXM #127, -NM. November 1979. One of the best ever X-Men story arcs. What a movie it would make!

Strange Tales #135, F. August 1965. 1st App: S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, Hydra, Imperial Hydra, Agent H & S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.

Fantastic Four Annual #2, -VF. September 1964. Origin of Dr.Doom, 1st App: Doomstadt & Dr. Doom's Castle.

JLA: Riddle of the Beasts (Elseworlds) HC, February 2002. Cover by Justin Sweet. HTF HC.

Batman #243, -NM. August 1972. Early Lazarus Pit. Neil Adams cover.

Warrior Magazine, -VF. March 1982. 1st App: V for Vendetta & Modern Age Marvel-man (Miracleman)

Secret Origins Special, -F. June 1961. Well what can i say...1st reprint of all the best DC had to offer at the time, Including The Flash. Not an easy book to find in any condition, Paid $40 for this copy smile

Supernatural Thrillers #1, VF. December 1972. 1st App: It. Jim Steranko cover. Not a book that's seen all that often.

Batman Adventures Special: Mad Love, NM. February 1994. Origin: Harley Quinn & Her 2nd Appearance. Everyone's after a copy of this book, But it was low print.

OMG

You got SWEETIES in that batch!!!

There's an Elseworlds story that I haven't read?!! I NEED IT!!

Warrior #1 isn't just the 1st app of V for Vendetta, it is the first appearance of Alan Moore's superhero deconstruction tale, Marvel Man - it was the return of Marvel Man, Alan Moore style. He became Miracle Man for American audiences (and probably to quell any problems with Marvel Comics).

1st Nick Fury as SHIELD Agent...and 1st SHIELD and Hydra!!! AWESOME!!!!!

Great books, Gil!!

TEX

Thanks Tex!
I'll never forget the day i found Warrior Mag #1 (so hard to find now being a Brit Magazine). It's a solid investment for the future.
Strange Tales #135 is a book among books to have. I can only now wonder what aspiring young comic collectors are thinking...wishing they have that piece of history, Which includes the Kirby goodness that goes with it!

Good luck in finding a copy of JLA Riddle of the beasts. It is a good read.
There was a soft cover of it as well. Wouldn't mind finding a copy of it myself.
1/13/2016
Topic:
A whole title is missing?

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
soundjunky wrote:
I have observed some hiccups with the search feature, but assuming that I have done things correctly, it appears as though this whole title is missing from the database;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_What_If_issues

Now the title had a changing title with every issue, the title's constant was "What if..."

Is this an oversight on the part of the powers that be, or have I searched wrong?

Yep! it's there.
Type in What if & not What if...?

Hope that helps.
edited by Gilgandra on 1/13/2016
1/14/2016
Topic:
A whole title is missing?

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
soundjunky wrote:
i'll try again - I did that before, but who knows maybe I needed to read this before it would show up... ??

EDIT (because two posts in a row can be annoying);

I just tried twice, and nothing came up;

First time I did;

search price guide: what if

Second time I tried:

search price guide: "what if"

Nothing...

I also tried (without quotations) "marvel presents", "What If", and "what if?"

Nada...

if it's a problem on my end (windows 10 using google chrome) can someone please give me a direct link to the title, because I cannot get to it.
edited by soundjunky on 1/13/2016

No it's not problem at all SJ. I use windows 10 & i don't seem to have a problem with it.

Try these links, If this doesn't work then Shawn at the head office will have to take over Lol.

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/what-if/roxp Vol.1

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/what-if/roxs Vol.2

There are a crap load of individual issue listed as well, But it would take me a whole day just to link them for you.
If your after a certain one just ask & i'll see if i can help or not.
1/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
aarondawe wrote:

Picked this one up recently. I always liked Fin Fang Foom since I first read this in Crazy Magazine.

Aaron

That's one fine book Aaron Applause
edited by Gilgandra on 1/14/2016
1/18/2016
Topic:
CROW'S NEST

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Crowman wrote:

edited by Crowman on 1/18/2016

Your on the ball Mr. Crow, Signed & all Thumbs Up
1/19/2016
Topic:
CROW'S NEST

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Crowman wrote:
Picked up this original art sketch cover to WD #150. The artist said it is his first piece of art he has done on a comic book and the first sale. He drew his inspiration from the wee zombie girl in the first ever episode of the Walking Dead. I really like it.....

edited by Crowman on 1/19/2016

Yes i remember that girl in the first episode.
Great artwork & nice work yet again Mr. Crow Thumbs Up
1/19/2016
Topic:
Comic Boxes

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Bilgesnipe wrote:
How is it that no one makes a quality plastic box? I don't mean the corrugated plastic, I mean like a nice acrylic or Tupperware type box? This hobby seems to be too populous to not have something other than cardboard to put our stuff in.

This question came up on the old forum.
It's because plastic does not abort moisture, Where Cardboard does. Having your books in a hot environment could cause them to sweat in a sealed plastic box thus rendering them damaged.
There maybe other reasons but that would be the main one i'd say.
1/20/2016
Topic:
Comic Boxes

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Bilgesnipe wrote:
Yeah, but we keep them in plastic bags. And if you don't have a lid on the box moisture wouldn't condense.

Yep! I totally understand, That's the only reason i can think why the industry does not make them.

Also collectors place them in filing cabinets (metal, which also does breath) or wooden boxes as well which is fine.
1/20/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra's movies & TV series collection.

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Kairi wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Arrietty is a anime take on The Borrowers. It is good!
Monkey as i said was never shown in the states. It can be bought from the UK or here in Australia. Some nostalgic marshal arts fight scenes. Dubbed out in English with much humor & the acting for it's time was brilliant.
They are all gods that were kicked out of heaven for various reasons & left to roam earth, One as a Pig god & a Fish god. Monkey was always King Monkey who self proclaimed himself to be a "great sage, equal of heaven". As a laugh the gods gave him the most important job of looking after the "Garden of immortality" were Monkey got hungry & ate all the peaches that take a 1000 yrs to ripen.
He becomes immortal, all wise & powerful, As punishment Buddha encased him in rock as heavy as a mountain for 500 yrs with a special note (spell) that won't let him lift it. Until a kindly priest came along who hired his services to take him from China to India.
Thus it all begins...
edited by Gilgandra on 1/10/2016

Arrietty sounds good by what I've heard of it! I'm currently trying to watch all of Studio Ghibli's films, and that one is near the top of my "to watch" list! smile
Monkey definitely sounds intriguing to me and I'd like to see it if I can. I likely won't be able to find it here, but I'll be on the lookout for it just in case I actually can find it since there are a couple video stores and import shops that may have it. Hopefully I will get lucky!

Don't cry when you get to "Grave of the Firefly's" it is so sad...
Arrietty is a total 180 deg. flip, So heart warming & what music by Cecile Corbel. Damn i gonna watch it again soon now Lol.
1234 ..58