site stuff that's overdue to be fixed Messages in this topic - RSS

collectibleshop
collectibleshop

3/19/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
will try posting these here, as I get no response via email to the head cheese.

1) the title of our classifieds ads get screwed up with ampersands if we edit them after the initial post. didn't use to do this. nothing fixes that except deleting and reposting, so annoying. example (not my ad):
Detective%20Comics%20%23180%20Feb.%201952

2) on the https://comicspriceguide.com/faqs page, the one about 'What if I find a comic/issue that is missing?' has a link that says it goes to a FORM to do that, but like the spoon in the Matrix, there is no form, only more instructions to report missing issues to a forUM, which is maybe what someone meant to type for that link.

3) been asking this one ever since the new forums were done-- are you ever going to add the 'member name/manage account' code that's in the upper right on the main site pages to the forum pages so we can log out ON the forums? I have to go to some other main page, wait for it to load if it doesn't hang up, and log out there. makes no sense why the login/out code isn't on every page on the forums. Or add a logout choice to our IDs where it has them at the top of the forum messages, with a drop down or pop window here:
collectibleshop
my profile | my subscriptions

cuz it's redundant to have both our name and My Profile links both go to our profile page, isn't it? normally most forums would have our member name linked to a logout choice there. but better to make things consistent and add the 'member name/manage account' code in the upper right to the forum pages too, where people are used to using it.

4) when I go to my View Profile page by clicking my name on a post, and click 'edit' I still get a blank page. https://comicspriceguide.com/forum/editprofile.aspx . would be nice to actually be able to edit our forum profiles like every other site lets you do.

and I see Ronbatman is taking up the charge to let us delete our years old sent messages, so hope that finally gets done too.
Thanks.
edited by collectibleshop on 3/19/2019
edited by collectibleshop on 3/19/2019
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/20/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I've printed this out and given it to Bryan.

I believe the first issue is related to copying and pasting from Word. They have spaghetti code and when you paste it, some of that "spaghetti" comes out.

The other issues that you mention, we will look into.
R
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

3/20/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
thanks. But on the ads issue, I'm not copying/pasting anything, I'm just editing text in the body on your site. Not even touching the title. The body stuff stays fine after editing, but the title gets the ampersands added after you edit. Deleting the title and re-typing it does no good either, nor does writing it in the body and copying/pasting out of there. Only way is to delete the ad and start new. I do copy/paste from my copies in my email drafts when I renew them, but that works fine the first time, but not when I edit on your site after that.

Have fun squashing that bug..
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/20/2019

kds_comics
kds_comics
Ronbatman wrote:
I've printed this out and given it to Bryan.

I believe the first issue is related to copying and pasting from Word. They have spaghetti code and when you paste it, some of that "spaghetti" comes out.

The other issues that you mention, we will look into.
R

I concur with collector that the first issue is real.
If you first create a classified ad title - hand type or copy and paste - it is GOOD.

If you edit the ad - the title gets ampersands in place of "space" between words. Perhaps this is an SQL thing.

KDS
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/21/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
The first two items on your list have been fixed now.

The issues related to how the forum and our website interact. (The forum is technically a different website in a different programming language. From a users point of view, you cannot tell the difference.) We cannot fix those with the current setup. We would have to change the forum to something else. While it looks like a small issue, it's actually a major undertaking.

I don't think people understand the amount of work involved in keeping a site this big up and running. There are millions of lines of code and one man, Bryan, keeps it all running. Be patient as we add new features, fix minor issues and dream up new ideas.
R
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

3/21/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
thanks.
I somehow had the impression that the forums and website were mostly 1 platform, so that it would be easy to add that piece of code for login/out. so guess not. but, is there a reason SOME kind of logout link can't be added to the forums that wouldn't require a ton of work? There's a login link, so why no logout?

I've been a member here for well in to double digit years, so know Bryan is the guy who does all the code work and it never stops. But I have sent emails about these probs to him for quite a while for most, and nothing got fixed. I try to wait months between nags, so I think I've been patient. Like a couple years patient.

So we'll wait to see if/when issue #4 is fixed. Will you post here if/when it is? Thanks again.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/27/2019

kds_comics
kds_comics
Ronbatman wrote:

The issues related to how the forum and our website interact. (The forum is technically a different website in a different programming language. From a users point of view, you cannot tell the difference.) We cannot fix those with the current setup. We would have to change the forum to something else. While it looks like a small issue, it's actually a major undertaking.

I don't think people understand the amount of work involved in keeping a site this big up and running. There are millions of lines of code and one man, Bryan, keeps it all running. Be patient as we add new features, fix minor issues and dream up new ideas.
R

Let me say to the admins and programmers at CPG - - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Many of us understand and appreciate the work you do. Some of us work in tech/computer related jobs in the real world. I would add is it good to let folks vent - it is okay - you CPG admins area all okay - users need to share their feelings (just please be polite). Nothing personal - folks just need to get it out there!

Perhaps a poll for new features would be good - they you would get a snapshot of what users feel is important. Feedback is good.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

5/12/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
4) when I go to my View Profile page by clicking my name on a post, and click 'edit' I still get a blank page.

still not fixed, so being worked on?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/13/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
What are you trying to edit with that? Your profile picture or settings?

https://comicspriceguide.com/profile/

We will work on that and change the link.
R
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

5/13/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Ronbatman wrote:

R

That link you gave is not the one I'm asking about, it's https://comicspriceguide.com/forum/editprofile.aspx which is the FORUM profile. I want to edit my forum profile to add my homepage link is all. Can't do it cuz only a blank page comes up, has for a long time, so please either fix it so we can edit, or add a homepage field to our main CPG profile page, or remove the edit link. Screenshot attached of (part) of my forum profile page with the big edit button and homepage field circled. Thanks.
edited by collectibleshop on 5/13/2019
Attachments:
cpg-screenshot.jpg
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

5/28/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Ronbatman wrote:

uh, nope. I just posted a new classified and had to edit it, and again it put a bunch of %20 signs in the subject line, so had to delete and repost. saw another 1 recently with that too, but it's gone now.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

5/29/2019

kds_comics
kds_comics
Let me add 5) Export by "virtual box" to a database file (.csv or excel or ???)

Discussed elsewhere

https://comicspriceguide.com/forum/topic13298-csv-export.aspx
0 link
EmeryDove
EmeryDove

10/21/2019

EmeryDove
EmeryDove
Why are there ( 2) different Vol. 2 Astonishing X-Men #1 - 1999 & 2004?
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

10/21/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
that's cuz the 1999 series is MINI-series Vol 2, and the 2004 one is a regular series Vol 2.
edited by collectibleshop on 10/21/2019
+1 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

10/24/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
collectibleshop wrote:
Ronbatman wrote:

uh, nope. I just posted a new classified and had to edit it, and again it put a bunch of %20 signs in the subject line, so had to delete and repost. saw another 1 recently with that too, but it's gone now.

and to keep you posted, this glitch is still not fixed smile
Still can't delete Sent messages either smile
0 link
JGMelville
JGMelville

10/24/2019

JGMelville
JGMelville
collectibleshop wrote:
Ronbatman wrote:

R

That link you gave is not the one I'm asking about, it's https://comicspriceguide.com/forum/editprofile.aspx which is the FORUM profile. I want to edit my forum profile to add my homepage link is all. Can't do it cuz only a blank page comes up, has for a long time, so please either fix it so we can edit, or add a homepage field to our main CPG profile page, or remove the edit link. Screenshot attached of (part) of my forum profile page with the big edit button and homepage field circled. Thanks.

I just tried it 10/24/2019. Still gives me a blank page when I click the "edit" button. upset
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/24/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
We don't have the ability to change the code for the forum since it's a packaged purchase. You can change the profile picture in the main site and that will show the same image in the forum. That link will never work since the forum is no longer supported by the company that made it. I guess most forums are becoming a thing of the past. We've talked about ending our forum as well.

Deleting old messages, we are looking at that now.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

10/24/2019

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
iRonbatman wrote:
We don't have the ability to change the code for the forum since it's a packaged purchase. You can change the profile picture in the main site and that will show the same image in the forum. That link will never work since the forum is no longer supported by the company that made it. I guess most forums are becoming a thing of the past. We've talked about ending our forum as well.

Deleting old messages, we are looking at that now.

So why after 2+ years since I've been asking about that profile link has no one admitted it CAN'T be changed? I wouldn't have kept emailing and posting about it if I'd been told that. I was also under the impression that the 'new' forum was mostly built by you all, but guess not. It wasn't a great improvement over the old forum, it lost multiple useful and standard features most forums have, and you lost lots of forum members at the time when everyone had to re-register. It wasn't a good purchase in the long run, especially if there's no way to edit it and the company that made it won't support it now.

Your answer also finally explains why you (Bryan that is) haven't been able to add a logout/profile/user link at the top like the rest of the site has (why that was not included in the original design boggles my mind), but all I've been told is that the 'forum is separate and different code that it'd just be a pain to edit it,' not that it COULDN'T be edited, same as most purchased forum software. So another couple years of asking about that that wasn't necessary.

Instead of thinking about ending your forums, it's maybe time to look into another piece of better forum software, plenty out there to choose from. I know you all don't have deep pockets like CGC does, but their forum software has lots of features, and it stays pretty busy, although every software update causes some complaints, but what else is new? You can certainly cut down on the number of forums and weed out the very slow ones, but you really need to keep the 'help' ones so other members can help take the load off CPG employees a bit. Of course you run the risk of losing more forum members again if we all have to re-register and all the old posts go away etc, so maybe a no-win sitch.

As for the classifieds ads Subject line glitch when we edit an ad, is that ever going to be fixed? You said back in March that it had been fixed, and it never has been. I think 7 months later is enough time to either fix it or say it can't be fixed. It didn't used to do that, so one would assume some software update is causing a formatting problem, and maybe that can't be changed now either. Only workaround is to delete and repost the ad, which doesn't take long if you've saved it, but I bet lots of people don't keep a copy, so they have to retype it all.

And yes I'm aware of the new monumental tasks you all have decided to tackle, re the newsstand UPC code listings, and the country listings revamp, and I envy you not. But you have a UX problem with the ads that's not making them look good, so hoping bryan can ferret/weasel/badger that out ("we don' need no steenkeen badgers!"), or tell us it's not fixable.

I do appreciate the work that goes into this site, and as noted before, I wait months before asking about stuff again, so I don't think I'm being impatient on these things. Now that I know some can't be fixed, I'll stop worrying about them.
Thanks Ron.
edited by collectibleshop on 10/24/2019
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/26/2019

Defiant1
Defiant1
I got tired of reading and catching up. I can only say that everything was better before the "upgrade". Accommodating portable devices for the web has ruined the experience for desktop users.
+1 link
Pensfan7187
Pensfan7187

1/17/2020

Pensfan7187
Pensfan7187
I've noticed a few cases (Tomb of Dracula 10 & Fantastic Four 52, for example) where some values for raw books are the same, equal to or higher than a graded copy. Surely, that can't be right...can it?

I've sent multiple emails to the site and have yet to receive any reply.
0 link