adampasz

all messages by user

1/2/2017
Topic:
A List of Features We'd Like to See at CPG...

adampasz
adampasz
I'm new to the site as well, and I did pay for a gold subscription. I checked out a lot of the competitors, but this site seemed to offer the best set of features overall, and to have a decent-sized community.

At this point, I only have one feature request, and it should be an easy one...
Please remove the "New CPG Announcements" banner at the top of the page. It takes about 1/3 of the page real estate on my laptop, and it's even worse on mobile devices. It would be nice not to have to scroll every time I load a new page. At least give me the option to suppress the announcement after I've read it.
1/9/2017
Topic:

adampasz
adampasz
Netstuffers, thanks for removing the alert box. Question: Is there a way for me to review posts the I wrote in these forums? I looked but did not see an obvious way to do this. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to a post from me?
1/9/2017
Topic:
"Moderate Bend on front cover"

adampasz
adampasz
It also depends a lot whether the crease "breaks color". That is, at the location of the crease, is there ink missing? Any book with a color-breaking crease that is 3/4" or more will have probably not grade over 7.5.

Regarding whether the post office messed up your package.. this is always a risk. I wouldn't expect them to pay much attention to a Do Not Bend sticker. upset
If your comics are worth a lot to you, package extremely carefully, with lots of cardboard support. Take pictures before you ship. Assume the worst!

Another thing, when I first started getting books graded -- sometimes I didn't notice obvious defects ahead of time. Now I feel more confident, and I'm also more careful about what I submit. You should treat your initial submissions as a learning experience.
edited by adampasz on 1/9/2017
1/9/2017
Topic:
Have a question about professional grading

adampasz
adampasz
A good rule of thumb is that grade adds about $20 of value to a comic. Of course if it's a comic no one wants, you still won't be able to sell it. Unless you're planning to grade a lot of books 20+, or your books are good condition and high value, it's probably not worth the trouble to get them graded.

As a buyer, I only worry about getting slabbed books if I'm paying 300$ or more. Otherwise, I will usually roll the dice and pick up a raw books from a reputable seller. So you might consider investing in a good scanner and the Overstreet Grading guide instead, and sell your books raw.
1/9/2017
Topic:
Need some help guessing the grade of this comic!

adampasz
adampasz
I agree with kids_comics. Sounds like you have a Qualified 6.0 book. You should probably offer the buyer a refund. Sorry.
1/9/2017
Topic:
What company to use for grading comics

adampasz
adampasz
CGC is $18-30 per book, or more depending which membership, and what track you use. It's actually not unreasonable when you think about the amount of labor etc. that goes into it. Also keep in mind, the turnaround can take months!

Think about what your collecting goal is. Are you trying to get a 9.8 copy of DC Rebirth Batman Whatever #1? If so, you might end up saving yourself time and effort just buying a slabbed copy!

That said, getting books graded -- and learning to become a better grader -- can be a fun part of the hobby!
1/10/2017
Topic:

adampasz
adampasz
Robbie wrote:

Looks like you can click on your name to get to your profile.
Then click on the number of posts (the number is a link, weird, huh?)
and there's the list of posts.

Nice. Looks like you can bookmark it too.
http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/viewpostsbyuser.aspx?UserID=[YOUR_USER_ID]
1/10/2017
Topic:
Have a question about professional grading

adampasz
adampasz
Defiant1 wrote:
the case typically jacks up the price that a seller wants to get for their comic. For that reason I quit negotiating.

Fair enough, but it really depends what you're buying. If I were spending 4 figures or more on something, I would probably want it graded, unless I had extreme confidence in the seller's grading capabilities.

Also, in most cases, prices should not be much of a mystery. A seller can over-charge you whether it's graded or not.

Another downside of slabbed books is that it costs (a lot) more to ship them! upset
2/7/2017
Topic:
Collection Advice

adampasz
adampasz
Scan the collection for Keys. If you're not sure, take some pictures (or even a video) of the lots and people on forums can advise you about what to look for. Donate or sell the rest in bulk.