Need some help guessing the grade of this comic! Messages in this topic - RSS

seandb07
seandb07

11/13/2016

seandb07
seandb07
Hey everyone, this is my first post here!

I recently sold a copy of X-Men (Silver Age) #9 on eBay, and I had given it an estimated grade of 6.0-6.5. I'm no professional, but I do have some actual work experience grading comics, so I always try to be as honest and accurate as possible.

Someone bought the book, and about a month later sent me a message saying they had the book graded at Lone Star Comics in Arlington, TX, and they came up with a grade of .5, due to the last page being torn out. Huge oversight on my part, and I feel bad, but at the same time, can one missing page take the grade of the book down THAT much? I've had books graded through CGC before, and when one was missing a page but otherwise fine, it was given a grade of 5.5 (it was visually in worse shape than the one I just sold) with the "qualified" distinction, given that it was incomplete.

So this buyer is claiming that this book is now only worth $20, when they originally paid $100. They already left me negative feedback, which is a bummer, because I would have worked with them, but I'd still love to get some opinions from other collectors to get to the bottom of this, and see if I still have any recourse with the buyer to get this fixed.

Here's the link to the same high resolution scans of the book from my ebay listing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149206627@N06/

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
edited by seandb07 on 11/13/2016
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

11/14/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
"They had it graded at Lone Star Comics"

I would be highly suspect of any grading at specific comic book shops. While I'm sure there are honest ones out there, if this guy took the book in and the guy behind the counter wanted to get it off him cheap, he could say whatever he wanted.

CBCS or CGC. those are the only real trusted ones right now.

Anyways, I don't have an eye for grading but I do agree that from the pictures, .5 is likely way too low. You gotta beat the heck out of a book to get it all the way down to a .5. Maybe last page is a bigger hit than a middle page?
+2 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

11/17/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
From the pictures, looks like you were in the ballpark with 6.0 grade to me.
A missing page is not always obvious - inside may have torn or missing page that can be overlooked. Encourage you to check this as a seller. Especially on comic this expensive.

I did recently pick up a "Challengers of the Unknown" 12 cent comic from 1960's Looked like about a 3.0 grade, (the price was right!) It is missing the center page (four pages of comics). My opinion is that this kills the value from $3 or so to $0.50.

I'd ask seller to get a second (or third?) grader - perhaps from a small, independent comic book store. Identify what the defect is exactly as you can.

Unless you can verify that the comic was complete when you sent it, I think the buyer has a valid concern. If a page is missing, this is a big deal. Suggest you offer a rebate on this one or on future order.

Just my opinion.

KDS
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

11/19/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
A missing page is a big deal even if it isn't a story page. It may not be a .5 to some but to me it would be. By the way qualified grades from CGC are bull crap. What that grade on that qualified label is saying is not what the grade is but what it would be without the major defect. Put it this way are there any grades 2.0 and above that allow for a missing page? If not then it can't be that grade.

KDS' suggestions on how to handle the situation are good.
0 link
crcovar
crcovar

1/9/2017

crcovar
crcovar
A missing page means the book is incomplete. On the Overstreet Grading Scale that would drop the book to a 1.0 or 0.5. A cut out coupon would get you a better grade, but a page (especially story) will kill it quickly.
0 link
adampasz
adampasz

1/9/2017

adampasz
adampasz
I agree with kids_comics. Sounds like you have a Qualified 6.0 book. You should probably offer the buyer a refund. Sorry.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

1/10/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I'd say a missing page is a 0.5. I wouldn't want it. Qualified grades are just a way to trick people into buying otherwise unsalable comics.
0 link