Theoldcollector

all messages by user

2/20/2021
Topic:
Website and App keeps logging me out

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
Is it just me or does the website keep logging you out for a reason? I get into my buying modes throughout the day and I will be right in the middle of last minute bids and trying to quickly check prices for reference and randomly I will no longer be logged in even though I never closed my browser window with the CPG page. It is very annoying that I have to keep logging in randomly. Also I downloaded the mobile app and had it logged in and the one time I went and tried to use it I was no longer logged in on it and did not have my password on hand to log back in at the time which does me no good when I am on the go. Is this normal? Sorry if this has been discussed before I am a new member.
2/20/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I forgot to add I used the remember me check box as well.
2/20/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
So I may have answered my own question for the website part. I logged myself out and then logged back in last night before going to bed and when I got up today I came back and checked and I am still logged in.
2/28/2021
Topic:
New Feature related to Variants

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
How long does it normally take for a submission to be approved? I submitted one two weeks ago and just making sure I did it correctly.
2/28/2021
Topic:
Department of Truth

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I went ahead grabbed a #1 for this reason.
3/4/2021
Topic:
Symbiote Spider-man #1 Walmart cover

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
Symbiote Spider-man #1 apparently has two Walmart versions? There is no barcode in the bottom right corner of the one I received. But I have seen a Walmart 3-pack online with the barcode in the bottom right corner just like what is shown on the CPG listing below:

SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1-WALM - https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/symbiote-spider-man/1-WALM/pkwtjuu

3/6/2021
Topic:
Department of Truth

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
Nice find!!
3/7/2021
Topic:
Newsstand vs Direct Editions

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I was just about to start a new post on the Newsstand vs Direct and how crazy expensive some of these newsstands are starting to go for. That's a great write up BTW! I always had the mindset that it would be harder to have a higher grade newsstand copy but never really thought about the fact that there were more printed vs the directs. I always preferred directs just because the logo or having nothing there at all looks better than a UPC box in my opinion.
3/7/2021
Topic:
Graded 9.8 vs 9.6 Do you think the market?

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
It's crazy to me that CGC 9.8 go for twice if not more for 9.8 compared to a 9.6. For instance ASM 362 is averaging around $110 for a 9.8 and $60 for a 9.6 or was until the recent uptick in the Carnage issues. Do you all think that graded 9.6 books will start to close the gap on 9.8 books, or is it always going to be this way? I mean for a raw copy you are normally never going to see that kind of jump in price for ".2" of a grade level. It just blows me away when I see it for CGCs. I have paid extra for autograph 9.8's but I can't seem to pay that much more for a qualified one when I could have a 9.6 and be able to buy 2 for the price of one 9.8 lol. It would be nice to see the gap between the two close up some in price.
3/8/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I'm slowly just now getting my comic collection organized and logged in. I have a small group of comics that I am setting aside to be graded but I figured I'll wait until I finish going through everything and put it off even longer lol.
3/9/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
That's kind of what I'm afraid of to. I am afraid some of them will grade lower than expected and that would ruin my day. It didn't help that I watched the CGC videos on how they grade and was actually a bit taken back by their method grading the books. I would love to see a video showing them grade a 9.8 and a 9.6 of the same comic to see the difference.
3/9/2021
Topic:
Jpegs not working

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
What exactly is causing this? Mine started doing this yesterday as well. I have updated Windows all except for the Win 10 20H2, it is currently downloading as we speak. What's the cause behind this though? I am not having this problem on any other website so I don't see how it's all of a sudden happening here.
3/9/2021
Topic:
Jpegs not working

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I just finished updating Windows on all updates and I still can't see any of the pictures on the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3/9/2021
Topic:
Jpegs not working

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I am using Firefox. I just got it fixed. There is an option under the help section in Firefox that's called tuneup once it ran that everything is back to good. That was driving me crazy. lol.
3/13/2021
Topic:
How in the world has this not been reported?

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I am currently looking for ASM 124 and while looking on eBay listings for it I came across some company selling reproduction covers with the advertisements on the inside and everything. How in the hell is this legal? Doesn't this fall under copyright laws to prevent this? I went to the seller's items page and they have tons of covers listed and will create any cover you want. Please tell me there is an easy way to spot these if someone uses them? And can this be reported to eBay for copyright reasons?
3/14/2021
Topic:
Where in this market does everyone find

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I am new to collecting again after stopping a few years ago and this market has me scratching my head. Where in the world can you find raw or graded books at the listed prices on here? Short of getting lucky on some of the not as popular auction sites everywhere else I look for older comics the prices are well above what's listed on the price guide's site. Especially on eBay, the prices there are just getting more and more ridiculous by the day. Where is everyone buying their comics for their collections? Right now I have been looking for ASM mainly 10-199 minus the ones I already have. I have been looking for only higher grades and the prices are always higher than the prices listed here. I've tried a few LCS here East of Dallas but most of them do not have a large back stock. Hell I stopped at one store the other day after leaving work and they only carried current with no back stock at all in the store. I tried a couple of antique stores / flea markets looking for older comics and it was the same there as well, way over priced. The last one I went to had a Wolverine #8 at best an 8.5 priced for $75 but they had a half off sale Whaaaaa? lol I just want to build my collection with higher grade books without paying double the value. Any advise on where I should be looking? Anyone live in the Dallas area that knows of an LCS that is not over priced on older books like Tomb of Dracula and ASM? Whaaaaa? Or do any of you have a favorite website for older stuff?
3/16/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
rgtichy wrote:
The graded prices at ha.com are mind-blowing, too.

Now this is a fact! I watch these hoping to find a deal in there but then the second they go to live bidding the $$ goes though the roof on their stuff. Whaaaaa?
I think when my kids have to sell my collection one day, I'm going to tell them to sell it with HA smile

As for buying books here, I just sent my first few offers out but not quite sure what the etiquette is for putting out offers to multiple people for the same book. Do I send out one and then wait a few days or send out them all and see who gets back to me first? If the later what happens when more then one individual accepts?
3/16/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I think digauction is really good as well. They are pretty decent with their grading and pictures. I hate the ones like hipcomic where you have no real idea on what shape the book is in. I got an older Daredevil from hip and it looked great in the one picture they provide so I went for it. I received it and the pages inside look like someone's fruit punch was poured on it. Was pretty disappointed.
3/20/2021
Topic:

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
rustyauger wrote:
I just bought an ASM 361 Newsstand CGC 9.6 for $470.

I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Prices are high. People are saying that they will come down after the pandemic but I am not so sure. Check out this video about new money coming into the comic book market and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduNhkHf4s0

This is my comment on that video's page:

"The problem with your theory is there are a ton of comic collectors who do have these comics in raw status and you say most people that collect will not submit their comics to get graded but if you look at just New Mutants 98 alone there were 2,700 9.8's Jan 2019 with a total of 13,165 graded with CGC. In Jan 2021 there were 3,316 9.8's and a total of 16,723 graded. That's over 3,000 sent in to be graded just in the last two years. This book came out in 1991 when there was mass production in comics and the speculation market was peaking at that time like it is again now so many people were collecting at that time. There are no shortages in this book and as long as the price keeps going up you're going to have more and more of them keep showing up on the CGC census and eventually it will be over saturated with it and once again you will have a bust in the comics book markets just like the early 90's. The new money theory doesn't really play out well in the long run when it comes to comics either. A ton of comic collectors have been collecting for many years and the older ones I would imagine have a lot deeper pockets and they have been playing this game for many many years. This speculation market is no different from the one that killed comic book values in the late 80's early 90's. Keep looking at the yearly numbers and they will keep growing as long as there is someone willing to keep paying high dollar amounts for that book. These numbers apply to older books as well such as Incredible Hulk 181, there were a total of 8,814 CGC graded in January of 2019 and a total of 10,890 in January of 2021 and this is a book printed in 1974 and I guarantee there are plenty more of those to be added as well. Maybe I'm wrong but if you look at the history of comics I would say there's a good chance this market will pop and when it does there are going to be a lot of people holding a $80 book wondering why they payed $2000 for it."

Thoughts?
edited by TheOldCollector on 3/20/2021
edited by TheOldCollector on 3/20/2021
3/20/2021
Topic:
Zack Snyder's Justice League

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
Watched the first half of it last night and I think it's pretty good. The whole aspect ratio is a bit off putting though. The black bars are on the left and right of the screen due to Zack like the IMAX format which is crazy because it's not being shown in theaters.
1234 ..11