11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available):

#1A https://indyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/20627_189564B.jpg
#1B https://indyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/20627_189565B.jpg
#1C https://indyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/20627_189566B.jpg

More info:
https://indyplanet.com/savage-sagas-1a
7/14/2021
Topic:
May I ruminate on my experience inputting 27,000?

agamoto
agamoto
I’ve been busy over the past several months cataloging and grading my entire collection. With nearly 30,000 comics in the PC, it’s been quite a journey but I’m finally within sight of the end with only a couple thousand more comics to go. I, and especially my wife, couldn’t be more thrilled to finally be done so I can get them sold off and out of the house!!!

These are the things I wish this site could do for me. I should preface this by saying I used primarily a chrome browser on both a chrome book device and an iPad Pro 12.1". Rarely was a PC used to do search and entry. the #1 method of adding books for me was to search for the indicia title and then drilling down into the correct series from all the results listed, which then usually shows each issue for that series in its own row in chronological order defaulted to 100 issues or results per page. I would only specify an issue number if I was processing boxes with many multiple series… (a very lengthy nightmare I might add).

1. An undo button… I cannot count the number of times I accidentally added the newsstand variant of a book instead of the direct market copy. Easy to do when working on the web version with an iPad. It’s obvious when it happens as I can see the ‘owned issues’ value change below the issue when I add it. Correcting this involves opening that issue in another tab, going to my issues and then editing or deleting the record in place. Having an undo button on the page somewhere would cancel the last action.

2. Floating "your toolbar"… the default search results for a page of issues is 100 items. Because the toolbar does not float on the side of the page as you scroll, you have to find your item in the search results, then scroll all the way to the top to ensure the grade and working box # is what it should be, then you have to scroll all the way down to the book in your search results to hit the add button. Yes, I could always drill down to the issue itself, and avoid this, but in my case I would often have multiple copies of an issue, with multiple grades and multiple variants. It is much easier to keep all of those variant results on the page at once, adding them as you go, but if the grade changes you are screwed because you have to scroll up to the top every damn time. Floating tool bar solves this.

3. Remember the box I’m working on… This one drove me insane. If I looked up a new series or issue, which would commonly occur when inventorying boxes with mixed series, the box I was entering items into would switch back to ‘unorganized’. With over 200+ boxes at last count, having to manually click the down arrow and scroll down through 200 rows to get to the box I was working on every time I looked up an issue from a different series was/is a colossal PITA. It should almost be a separate section of the toolbar, some sort of floating visual indicator that you are working with box # (whatever) and remember that box no matter what I search or do on the site.

4. Ability to change the default grade… for starters, 9.4 is probably an unrealistic average grade for anyone’s collection and I disagree on it being the default. 9.0 VF/NM is much more realistic. Just like with the working box problem described above, the grade of the book would have to be reset every damn time a new series was searched.

5. When adding a run, allow me to specify newsstand or direct… You do accommodate for variants, but all I want is my run set to either direct or newsstand. It seems this gets chosen for you based on some unseen arbitrary flag. The result of this problem is that I have probably hundreds, if not thousands of books that were mistakenly entered as newsstand copies instead of direct, or vice versa. Which leads me to another suggestion.

6. Bulk edit… When I look at a list of books in my collection, I want to be able to select the books I wish to edit and then perform a bulk edit on just those books using the tool bar. Let me change the grade, the qty, raw/graded status and signature info, and the box number.

7. Fixing quantity entry mistakes… I have a number of books with quantities of 30, 40, 50 or more. Many times I would enter a book at this quantity and then mistakenly enter the next book, but the quantity would still be set to the previous value. Imagine what happens when I just legitimately entered 50 copies of x-men 281, and then when I click the ‘add’ button three times for my three copies of x-men 282, I suddenly have 150 copies of that issue. The REAL headache is fixing this problem. There seems to be no method to undo last action and no way I can tell to bulk edit quantity, leaving me forced to delete the books, one by one, having to confirm deletion each time. God almighty.

8. Sort search results by date… when I search for something using a partial term and issue like Spider-man #2, I get presented with hundreds of results. They seem to be presented in alphabetical order, but it would make more sense to display them in chronological order of published date or give me the option to display chronologically. I cheat past this on results with less than 100 rows by simply searching for the year of publication using the browsers find on page feature, but the trick does not work when there are more than a few hundred results. I can’t count the number of times I had to scan through dozens and dozens of results rows to find the book I’m looking for when

9. Sort search by most common… I see this problem a lot at many sites. 95% of the time, when someone searches for a particular book like Spider-man whatever, the first results should be the most common titles, or at least that should be an option. Amazing spider-man volume 1 always comes to the top followed by his other most popular titles in their order of popularity. Would make searching for stuff much easier.

10. CSV output… while I understand why you do your exporting the way you do, the CSV output provided requires a PhD in excel in order to strip out/parse the most salient data on my books so that I can plug that data into other tools I use to track values, sales, etc. it would be far better to have a simplified, single-row entry for each book so that I can easily export AND import the required information I need. The ability to export a master list of ALL books, ALL publishers, Graded or Raw, Signed or not, all in one CSV, each entry on a single row, with mappable fields. You know, standard faire. This leads to 11.

11. This would be one of those holy grail thing and it’s something I do with the raw data that cpg poops out now, but it’s a huge ass pain. I.’d want a method to analyze my comic list in relation to a trending sales list from a site like gocollect or gpa. I set a threshold value, we will say $200, and the feature tells me all the books that are non the way up and which I should yank out and submit.

Just my 10 cents. There’s other suggestions, but those were the big ones.

Thanks!
7/15/2021
Topic:
Dark Horse Comic Packs

agamoto
agamoto
In the mid 2000's, Dark Horse provided Hasbro with a bunch of reprint issues for inclusion with action figure packs. I've got them all, but I can barely find any in the database.

The site has a couple of notable examples marked with a "-HASBR" suffix. One of them, the 'Heir to the Empire #1' reprint included with the action figures for Talon Karrde and Admiral Thrawn.

Here: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/star-wars-heir-to-the-empire/1-HASBR/pkuymsw

The indicia for the book has the title of the book as "Dark Horse Comic Pack #25," followed with the alternate title "Heir to the Empire #1".

Needless to say, the guide value here on that particular issue could stand a significant correction, but I'm more curious about where I might find the rest of these variant/reprint books in the database, and there are dozens of them, numbered #1 through #57... The issue numbers on the covers correspond to the issue number that was on the original comic, but the indicia indicates it's a "dark horse comic pack #"

Here's a catalog of all the comic packs.

http://www.rebelscum.com/darkhorse_hasbro2packs.asp

Are these books here somewhere listed in a way that I can't find 'em?
edited by RonBatman on 7/15/2021
7/16/2021
Topic:
Changes to "your toolbox"

agamoto
agamoto
I used to be able to display a list of all issues in a particular series when I searched for just the series, using the add button to bring individual issues into my collection. However, before today, the "toolbar" on the right allowed me to change the grade, the box it’s in, whether it’s graded or signed etc. before I hit the add button.

I’d also have the ability to add a run of books here from the toolbar.

Those toolbar options are all gone, at least here in chrome when looking at a series’ issue catalog.

Hopefully just a temp glitch.
7/16/2021
Topic:
Changes to "your toolbox"

agamoto
agamoto
Lol, and 5 minutes later, the options are back!
7/19/2021
Topic:
Exporting...

agamoto
agamoto
I just spent over 10 minutes going through 3 pages of publishers exporting to excel.

I had to click "raw" and "graded" 250+ times for all the different publishers in my collection.

Is there no other way to export the collection data beyond per publisher exports or printing a list of everything in each of my boxes? That's not much better as I have 215 boxes.
7/20/2021
Topic:
Exporting...

agamoto
agamoto
Alright, so now I just spent the last hour+ clicking on message after message from the system telling me that a particular publisher's excel file is ready to download. I have 28,400+ raw and graded comics, spread across 290 publishers.

To expedite grabbing the excel for each publisher, I sorted my messages in groups of 100, and then scrolled down the list of messages, right clicking on each link to open that message in a new tab. I then went to each new tab and clicked the excel link to save the excel file, I then closed the tab and moved on to the next tab until all 100 excel link tabs were processed, then I'd move on to the next 100 message block.

The message system is clever enough to eliminate any links that were previously open, however, I'm 100% certain my fingers slipped a few times during this process and I opened, then accidently closed, at least a few excel tabs, but I have no idea at all which publisher link I missed and I'll have to reconcile somehow later.

I now have a folder on my desktop with 305 excel files from each different publisher.

I take a look inside the excel files and I see they are very heavily formatted. All the info is there, but it's formatted in such a way that makes it absolutely useless for any sort of collection analysis. Compounding this is the way in which the titles are grouped in the excel workbook with each individual title sorted on a separate alphanumerical labelled worksheet.

Worst of all, the excel files do not indicate the box location of each issue. I have titles and issues scattered across 215+ boxes. The comics are fragmented across these boxes and are not contiguously stored in alphanumerical order. There's no way to locate any of my books with these excel files. Ultimately, they are completely useless to me and I just wasted the past 1.5 hours.

1.5 hours is a drop in the bucket of time I've spent on the site inventorying and grading all my comics, so I'll have to figure out something else. It seems my only option is to "print" a list of books in each separate box, then convert the printed results into spreadsheet rows, then figure out a way to manipulate that into something useful.
7/20/2021
Topic:
Did you see this article in the Hollywood Reporter

agamoto
agamoto
If they wanted to earn bank off their creations optioned for flicks, they should have either negotiated the rights to the character/story with Marvel/Disney, or they should have created the character/storyline over at Image for a character they can control. Writing for Marvel/DC = Work for hire
7/20/2021
Topic:
Transformers/GI Joe

agamoto
agamoto
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/transformersgi-joe/pmrvh

That it?
7/20/2021
Topic:
Exporting...

agamoto
agamoto
Yikes... Well, combining the worksheets that you've got split by alphanumerical worksheets is simple enough, but the "by publisher" XLS files are still useless without the location or box identifier listed for each separate issue as I have numerous duplicates and titles are highly fragmented.

Is it within the realm of possibility to alter the output of the publisher results to include the box identifier field on each issue row? If so, that's all I need.
7/20/2021
Topic:
Exporting...

agamoto
agamoto
So, lacking the box information on the publisher export spreadsheets, I chose to try the Box Content Printout export method.

It's nice that this method maintains the numerical grades assigned, while the per publisher sheets do not. and unlike the publisher exports, these results have the box location information baked in. One thing this output lacks is information notes on the variant or key information. Which sucks, but whatever.

It took me around 40 minutes to save to pdf, convert to excel via adobe.com, then arrange the spreadsheet so that you can actually use the data.

I have 216 more boxes to go through like this... I do NOT have an additional 144 hours of time to fix something that could be easily solved with a simple CSV output.

How much will it cost to get you to run a private SQL query to pull the data fields I need for just my books? I'm already a paying member, but I CANNOT afford to spend 144 freaking hours on this stuff.

THIS is useful...

THIS is not...

7/23/2021
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

agamoto
agamoto
Hi folks... Entering the fray!

Issues: 28,473
Value: $326,295.31

7/27/2021
Topic:

agamoto
agamoto
Found some more.

Issues: 28578
Value: $333,390.89
7/27/2021
Topic:

agamoto
agamoto
I wish there was a way to see what my collection would be worth if I had just allowed it to use the 9.4 grade default. I assume everyone else on this list took the time to assign a grade for each book? Took me for freaking ever.
7/27/2021
Topic:
New Additions to Your Download

agamoto
agamoto
Is it broken? I've been waiting on my raw marvel list for a few hours now.
7/27/2021
Topic:
New Additions to Your Download

agamoto
agamoto
Tried just my raw marvels, 18,432 issues.

I wouldn't mind if it took a week to get the data out, as long as it was in a format that allowed easy conversion into an excel file that can have filters run on the numbers.
7/27/2021
Topic:

agamoto
agamoto
LOL, I suppose some folks out there don't care about the grade and just use the site to know which cubby/drawer/box/glove compartment they shoved that Amazing Fantasy 15!

I didn't realize that about the star, I had wondered what it meant. I guess I missed that.

Oh, while I'm here... I don't know how often I'm supposed to be updating this, but:

Issues: 28709
Value: $335,727.19

I see you, PTHOMAS2010!! Bwahahaha!!

In other news, how the hell did I wind up with 7 copies of the Smurfs #1 Treasury Size Edition from Dec 1982?

We could probably have a blast just talking about coming across weird stuff folks never knew they even had while going through their books after years in storage.
7/28/2021
Topic:

agamoto
agamoto
I assume by census you mean the CGC census? What consideration, if any, is given to CBCS population report? I have a 10 gem mint Superman Unchained #1 Neal Adams variant graded by CBCS and while it's in their population report, a 9.8 is the highest any CGC Superman Unchained variant goes in their census.
7/29/2021
Topic:
Tiggomverse

agamoto
agamoto
Title: Tiggomverse
Missing Issues: Oneshot issue, nn#
Publisher: Counterpoint
Publication Years: 2020-Current
Cover Price: $10.00
Parody of Venomverse. One-Shot issue with numerous trade dress and virgin variants.

The one I have is the SR Comics 3-year anniversary Marat Mychaels Web of Venom #1 Funeral Pyre Crain Homage Virgin Prismafoil Variant.

Just typing all that out, this variant crap has really jumped the shark.
8/3/2021
Topic:

agamoto
agamoto
Update!

29126 Issues
$340,373.49

I'm running out of comics to grade. Unless I send some stuff in to get slabbed, I'm going to peter out around $342K. Even if all my best stuff was graded and slabbed, I don't think I'd ever be able to reach your heights, Ruk. You must have one hell of a collection!
edited by agamoto on 8/3/2021