BasementComics

all messages by user

10/24/2018
Topic:
Detective Comics 27 Convention Edition ( Fabok)

BasementComics
BasementComics
I too submitted an add for these two books and provided pictures and links to the fanexpostore site to show the book details.
10/25/2018
Topic:
Walmart 100-Page Giants?

BasementComics
BasementComics
I found both Batman and Superman under "Batman Giant" and "Superman Giant".
10/25/2018
Topic:
DC Giant comics from Walmart

BasementComics
BasementComics
I searched "Batman Giant" and "Superman Giant" in CPG and those Walmart issues are there.
10/25/2018
Topic:
New Feedback System

BasementComics
BasementComics
Thanks for getting all those Batman 50 uploaded.
10/26/2018
Topic:
how to recognize a variant

BasementComics
BasementComics
Hello, I have two different copies of Adventures of Superman 467. One is colored blue up at the top but the other is purple. I have found both pictures online (blue: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=adventures+of+superman+467&pubid=&PubRng=) (purple: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_of_Superman_Vol_1_467 ) but not sure if they are truly the same or not. I don't believe its a color fade. The one with the purple stripe has more vibrant colors (Superman's cape is more red). Would this one qualify as a variant? Thanks in advance.
10/26/2018
Topic:
how to recognize a variant

BasementComics
BasementComics
Thanks Jim.

I did check first about newsstand but both have the same logo. As near as I can tell, they are all the same (I even looked at the publication info to see if maybe one was a 2nd print). I really appreciate the detail.

Donald

solarno wrote:
BasementComics wrote:
Hello, I have two different copies of Adventures of Superman 467. One is colored blue up at the top but the other is purple.

I have found conflicting but interesting info on this issue. There were definitely two versions of this issue printed, a newsstand edition with a barcode and a direct edition with an ad for Action Comics in place of the barcode. The newsstand edition would have been sold at grocery stores, book stores, newsstands, etc., where as the direct edition would have been sold specifically through comic book shops. Both can be seen here: http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=365863

Based on other pics strewn about the internets it appears that the direct edition has two very different color qualities, either purple top with vibrant, redder colors, or a blue top with muted, more natural looking colors. I've only found images of newsstand editions with the blue top. I did happen across this cool listing for the original color guide print of this cover which shows a blue top: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1327782.

My theory is this: When they were printing the covers for this issue they ran the newsstand editions first. At some point after they switched plates to run the direct edition covers there was a 4-color mix issue and the magenta plate was printed too heavy resulting in later copies having a much redder tint to it.

To answer your question regarding one being considered a variant, it depends on what your two covers are...

If you have one with a barcode and one without then you could argue that you have a variant. Historically newsstand and direct editions have not been considered variants as they are the same artwork from the "same" print run. But collectors are more and more viewing them as variants as they are actually different print runs with different circulation numbers (though finding exact numbers is near impossible). The printing house would have had to stop the presses to change the printing plates for barcodes or no barcodes. It is by technical definition an intentional variant. I also noted that the newsstand edition carries a publication date (Jun 90) on the cover in the price box while the direct edition replaces that with a UK price of 50p and moves the pub date to below the issue number. Like the barcode box, this would also require different printing plates and therefore qualify it as technically a variant.

If you have two without barcodes then that comes down to probably more of a printing error. I would not classify that as a variant as it is not an intentional change. I personally would say that a blue version of the direct edition should be more desired as it is closer to the colors intended by the artist but that probably does not affect the value. That is unless someone can determine the circulation ratio of the blue to purple direct editions.

Cheers!
Jim
11/1/2018
Topic:
Adding in details for missing comics

BasementComics
BasementComics
Hi, when submitting details for missing comics (the issue itself, writer, etc), it is acceptable to post a link to either a retailer offering the issue or even the publisher themselves?

I recently submitted for addition to the database Batman Giant # 3 and 4 (Walmart's exclusives). DC's website shows the cover of the issue as well as a synopsis and the writer/artist information.

Thanks

Donald
11/1/2018
Topic:

BasementComics
BasementComics
Also, in going through my older issues of Batman, I've come across a few issues that do not have the month listed on it. Mile High Comics has this as a variant on their site. Would this qualify as a variant here?
11/2/2018
Topic:

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ronbatman wrote:
Actually the site will remove any links sent to us that way. Here is a screenshot of your submission from the administration side of things. You have to fill in the blanks to submit it. In the past people have sent us some crazy and spam things in links.

Thank you. If you need me to resubmit something I can. My toolbar doesn't have all the options that is shown on the "report missing issues" how to. I have the best membership but not sure if that is something I have to work up to.

edited by ronbatman on 11/2/2018
edited by ronbatman on 11/2/2018
11/2/2018
Topic:

BasementComics
BasementComics
BasementComics wrote:
Also, in going through my older issues of Batman, I've come across a few issues that do not have the month listed on it. Mile High Comics has this as a variant on their site. Would this qualify as a variant here?

I have seen on this site other entries where the month is missing so I will work on submitting as variants.
11/4/2018
Topic:
Innovate or die... to bad

BasementComics
BasementComics
Would it be possible to add a "location" field...a note section where we can state where the issue is located? For example, Comic Box 1 or even CGC box 1?

Just curious.

Donald
11/5/2018
Topic:
Innovate or die... to bad

BasementComics
BasementComics
It didn't occur to me to just create new boxes. I can do that pretty easily.

Thanks

Jtolar wrote:
BasementComics wrote:
Would it be possible to add a "location" field...a note section where we can state where the issue is located? For example, Comic Box 1 or even CGC box 1?

Just curious.

Donald

Boxes are already built in. So I assume you mean on the search screen.

On the side bar menu from anywhere you can click the "My Comic Boxes" link.

On the side toolbar from the volume or issue detail screen you can also add notes, qty, grade and price. You can also add boxes and run's.

On the side toolbar from the search screen you can also add notes, qty, grade and price. This would be great to add the box location as well.

Playing devils advocate I can see where the decision was made to leave this off the search screen and default the box to Unorganized as to not accidentally put it in the wrong box because of the user selecting this and not changing it. Personally, I am usually dealing with one box at a time.

edited by jtolar on 11/5/2018
11/10/2018
Topic:
2 "My Box" questions

BasementComics
BasementComics
Hi, is there a way (outside of issue by issue) to move books from one box to another?
11/12/2018
Topic:
Missing: SUPER-HEROES HOLIDAY SPECIAL (Walmart)

BasementComics
BasementComics
Title:
Missing Issues: #1 (of 1)
Publisher: DC
Publication Years: 2018
Cover Price: $4.99
Walmart Exclusive

01. TITLE: DC’s WORLD’S GREATEST SUPER-HEROES! HOLIDAY SPECIAL
*Note, please use the indicia for correct title information.
*If title already exists in the database please copy and paste the link to the database entry in the space below.

02. PUBLISHER: DC
*Note, please use the indicia for correct publisher information.

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: USA
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: USA
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: 1
06. COVER PRICE: $4.99
07. DATE: 11/2018
08. ISSUE NOTES: Walmart Exclusive
09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed): 1 of 1
10. ISBN/ISSN# (If Listed):

11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available): https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/11/09/celebrate-the-holidays-with-walmart-dc-and-the-worlds-greatest-super-heroes
11/17/2018
Topic:
What was your first comic?

BasementComics
BasementComics
I don't recall my first comic but the series that jumpstarted my collecting comics was Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight in 1989 and going crazy from there.
11/20/2018
Topic:

BasementComics
BasementComics
I have submitted issues 3, 4 and 5 (just came out) of Batman as well as the Holiday special.
11/21/2018
Topic:

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ronbatman wrote:
I've approved the Batman Giants and added them to the Walmart checklist on the blog
http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/09/09/walmart-variant-issues-checklist/

As you continue to add issues let me know here or with an email and I'll approve/research them and add them to the blog post.
R

Thank you.
11/23/2018
Topic:
Where to sell my xmen #1 1963 & #10 - VG

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ebay will probably get you the most for your money.
11/25/2018
Topic:
Judge Dredd #9, I've added an incorrect creator.

BasementComics
BasementComics
I belive you can go to the issue listed and delete that entry. I was able to do it on one of my submissions.
11/27/2018
Topic:
Comics with the publication month missing on cover

BasementComics
BasementComics
HI, I submitted two Batman Books (352 and 353) that have no publication month listed as needing to be added. Can you check to make sure it's in the queue for review?

Thanks

Donald
1234 ..40