crcovar

all messages by user

1/9/2017
Topic:
Need some help guessing the grade of this comic!

crcovar
crcovar
A missing page means the book is incomplete. On the Overstreet Grading Scale that would drop the book to a 1.0 or 0.5. A cut out coupon would get you a better grade, but a page (especially story) will kill it quickly.
1/9/2017
Topic:
Have a question about professional grading

crcovar
crcovar
IMHO the main benefit to getting a book graded if you plan to sell is the independent score you get. With more expensive titles this helps protect both the buyer and seller. Ease of selling depends on how you plan to go about it. if you're seeing a book for 3-5 figures online, get that thing graded so the buyer can see the grade with a single photo. If you're selling a book in person then it's less important as the physical book is right there, and one or both parties can look through and identify/agree on the condition.

Whether or not you should look into grading depends on what's in your collection. Most comics don't need to get slabbed. Identify books you think are likely candidates for grading, then give them a look yourself. Now the vast majority of people will grade their own books favorably. That's just natural, and I'm even guilty of it myself. Consider picking up the Overstreeet Guide to Grading Comics or something similar. This has all the criteria and photo references you need to grade a book on a 10 point scale that is similar to, if not the same, criteria as the major grading services.
1/31/2017
Topic:
I've bagged them without boarding them!

crcovar
crcovar
Bags will offer protection from the elements, but really you probably want to put boards in there with them. Boards will help protect the spine.
2/3/2017
Topic:
Treat Pedigree comics collection?

crcovar
crcovar
From what I could find they were a 90s marketing gimmick for packaging and selling through Wal-Mart. Mostly all common books from the time. I've never seen them in person anyway, but that's what I was able to learn online.