Some really old comics Messages in this topic - RSS

bustergonad
bustergonad

5/9/2017

bustergonad
bustergonad
Hi I don't know if I'm the right section but I've came across some really old American Comics, Gene Autry, Western, Popeye, Felix the cat, I love Lucy, the three stooges.
I have a ton of excellent condition paper comics to starting from WW1 era.

To be honest I just don't know where to start, I'm looking to move them on and haven't got a clue what the going rate for them is.

Thank you
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

5/9/2017

Robbie
Robbie
WW1 era? Weird. That's 15+ years before the "comic book" format existed. There's a lot of variety in sizes and formats, Many of the pre-1930 comics haven't been documented yet,
0 link
bustergonad
bustergonad

5/10/2017

bustergonad
bustergonad
Yeah the WW1 ones are mostly Puck paper comics
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

5/10/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
The "Gene Autry, western, Popeye, Felix the Cat, I Love Lucy, The Three Stooges" comics don't sell for what superhero ones do. It's what people like and want.
But if they're 1940s comics, and in REALLY nice condition, they could be worth anywhere from a hundred to a couple hundred each.
You'd have to give us the exact publisher, title, issue number, and publish date for us to give you specific info. And then it's all based on condition. For that you'd have to post pictures.
Some of us like doing this... we consider it fun.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

5/10/2017

Robbie
Robbie
bustergonad wrote:
Yeah the WW1 ones are mostly Puck paper comics

Some of the soldiers in the trenches made autobiographical comics - being in a trench has a lot of down time. There was also some political stuff. Small print run, local distribution.

And there were a couple nation-wide publications - like Puck & Judge.
And some "comics" (anything with panels and word balloons) were printed in hardcover. Prior to the Crash of '29 people could buy funny books in a format meant to last.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

5/10/2017

Robbie
Robbie
sclingerman wrote:
The "Gene Autry, western, Popeye, Felix the Cat, I Love Lucy, The Three Stooges" comics don't sell for what superhero ones do. It's what people like and want.
But if they're 1940s comics, and in REALLY nice condition, they could be worth anywhere from a hundred to a couple hundred each.
You'd have to give us the exact publisher, title, issue number, and publish date for us to give you specific info. And then it's all based on condition. For that you'd have to post pictures.
Some of us like doing this... we consider it fun.

I Love Lucy made its debut in 1951, so those wouldn't be from the '40s. The list of titles sound like high print run Dells from the 50s-early 60s. "Really nice" in common language generally translates to VG+ to Fine-... I think those are mostly $5-$25 books.
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

5/11/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Yes, for Lucy - 1954.

Gene Autry could be Fawcett 1941 series, Fawcett 1947, Dell 1943 series, Dell 1944 Series, or Dell 1946 series.

Popeye could be McKay 1937 series, Dell 1941 series, or Dell 1948 series.

Felix The Cat could be Dell Dell 1942 series or 1948 series.

Three Stooges could be St. John 1949 series.

There's only 1 person here who knows. (Will they tell?)

And I always figure when people say "Mint" it means an 8.0, and "REALLY nice" means about a 6.0 or 7.0.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

9/20/2017

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Just noticed this post via the main menu. Why hasn't anyone told the OP that this is clearly the wrong board for this question? (belongs in General or Questions and Answers, but it's answered now, mostly.) And the link to the price guide/search is along the top menu, so that's where you start looking for values, then don't believe what you read for the real world, but you'll have a ballpark idea. IF you know how to grade that is. The link to the grading guide is https://comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-grading.
edited by collectibleshop on 9/20/2017
0 link