sargon

all messages by user

3/15/2016
Topic:
Sargon's Rubies of Life have returned

sargon
sargon
Here are some more of the DC's I have grabbed. One of the big ones is going on a separate thread under grading comics.

Great to see Lex and his niece on the cover. Love the belt on Supergirl too.

These books have insane covers. I am sure the stories don't make a lick of sense, but that is all right.

Back when the timeline made sense...

I simply love the way the colors on the House of Mystery pop. These books are hard to find and the Zook cover is cool.

Sargon
3/15/2016
Topic:
Second Opinion on Grade for this book

sargon
sargon
So I recently scored a cool Golden Age Flash Comics and was curious what the group saw the grade as. I don't disagree too much with the grade the owner listed it at, but I think he was a little conservative. Here are the scans of it:

I am not upset with what I paid for it, but I am curious to hear what others have to say. It's a really cool book, especially for a fan of the JSA characters like me.

Sargon
3/16/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
Gilgandra wrote:
First off, Nice book.
As with anything that's posted one can't make a definite grading because where not handling it. But by the looks of your pics i would put it around the 3.0 - 4.0 & yes it does look to be in good nic for it's age (i looked it up)

I was thrilled with it when I saw it in the shop and received a slight discount on it. It is one of the older books in my collection, with the oldest being my Green Hornet Comics #2.

Sargon
3/16/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
erichey wrote:
I would probably start around a 3.0, and go from there. Have the staples been replaced? Looks like chipping, or pieces missing along edges and corners. Some creases. Rolled spine. Foxing. Has there been any restoration? The colors look a little off in some areas. Maybe it's just the scan.

Hi Erichey,

As far as I know, there is no restoration and the staples are original. The person who sold it to me listed it as a 3.0 which struck me as a tad conservative, not that I am complaining.

We don't see a ton of Golden Age books for sale around here much less rare ones like this. .

Sargon
3/16/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
erichey wrote:
sargon wrote:

Hi Erichey,

As far as I know, there is no restoration and the staples are original. The person who sold it to me listed it as a 3.0 which struck me as a tad conservative, not that I am complaining.

We don't see a ton of Golden Age books for sale around here much less rare ones like this. .

Sargon

Just looking at the scans, that would be a safe bet. If I had it in my hands to get a better overall look at the book, I may go a higher number. I'm curious now. What grade is the book for you?

I graded it at a 3.5 so there wasn't much of a difference. On the other hand, a friend of mine put it at a 4.0 but with the foxing, I wouldn't take it that high. I might see if I can get it pressed though but that won't happen for a while.
3/17/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
erichey wrote:
sargon wrote:

I graded it at a 3.5 so there wasn't much of a difference. On the other hand, a friend of mine put it at a 4.0 but with the foxing, I wouldn't take it that high. I might see if I can get it pressed though but that won't happen for a while.

In the scans, the foxing doesn't appear to be too much. Much higher grades allow for some foxing.

I'll reexamine it more closely then. Thanks a lot for the comments.
3/24/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
CapnDoug wrote:
That's a great looking copy of House of Mystery. It's always awesome to see comics that old in that condition. It almost looks like it could be a recent comic in a retro style.

My twins and I saw it at a local con 6 months ago and were floored by it. They know I love the Martian Manhunter and the house we were looking to buy was going to have a section dedicated to the family's musical instruments and so we all agreed that it would look great on the wall there.

We bought the book but not that house. Violin So it will go on the wall in my comics/man cave/collectibles room once it is finally set up.

Sargon
3/24/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
Kairi wrote:
Nice posts, Sargon! I'm enjoying looking at all of your issues! Those Strange Sports covers are...strange. The one with the dinosaur keeps making me laugh!

Thanks a lot Kairi. Those Silver Age DC's are fun and quite affordable if you hit the right the auction.

Sargon
3/24/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
Nice books, the Strange Sports is only a 6 issue series if I remember right. I just picked #4 also. Your House of Mystery book looks pretty sharp, great colors as you said.

Strange Sports was only 6 issues and the stories are crazy.

It's amazing that House of Mystery books aren't hotter than they are. You never see them for sale anywhere in any condition.

Sargon
3/24/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
Gilgandra wrote:
Great posts Sargon, That is a sweet Supergirl.

Thanks a lot Gil.

Her 1970's series is so much fun to read as is this run too in Adventure Comics but they are SO 1970's. She had Zatanna as a back up character in the first handful of issues and even Prez showed up in one of them.

Sargon
4/5/2016
Topic:
Downloading is not working?

sargon
sargon
I have tried to download my information a couple of times and I get a spinning wheel but no file is created even if I let it sit there for a long period of time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sargon
4/8/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
colbalt91 wrote:
I had something similar to this happen over a year ago here and eventually learned that if I came in through a different portal like Explorer rather than Google that things would be normal. Told the problem to the site at the time and it still took about 3 months for me to finally be able to come in through my regular portal without complications.

Interesting... I am on Firefox. I'll try it again in a little bit. It is a bit annoying because it was working a couple of weeks ago.
4/14/2016
Topic:
The Future is Now

sargon
sargon
Title: The Future is Now!
Publisher: US Social Security Administration
Date: 1969
Cover Price: Fee (Give Away)

Link to cover scan: https://www.ssa.gov/history/comic1969.html

Sargon
4/16/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
sargon wrote:
I have tried to download my information a couple of times and I get a spinning wheel but no file is created even if I let it sit there for a long period of time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sargon

A quick update:

I was able to generate two files last night and successfully download them to my computer. When I woke up this morning, I tried with two other files and it was able to generate the file but when I clicked on it to download, it did not do it instead sending me to the url and not letting me move the file.

So... progress is being made. Thanks a lot!

Sargon
4/16/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
sargon wrote:
sargon wrote:

Sargon

A quick update:

I was able to generate two files last night and successfully download them to my computer. When I woke up this morning, I tried with two other files and it was able to generate the file but when I clicked on it to download, it did not do it instead sending me to the url and not letting me move the file.

Sargon

It is working properly now so thank you to whomever tweaked it!

Sargon
4/17/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
sargon wrote:
sargon wrote:
sargon wrote:

Sargon

A quick update:

Sargon

It is working properly now so thank you to whomever tweaked it!

Sargon

The link is acting weird again. I wonder if it is something in the download code. Thanks.
4/20/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
I had mentioned in a "what's hot" about the romance books and how they look to be heating up. Here are some I have picked up over the last 6-9 months. Only one is a Marvel, but it is a beauty.

I picked it up with the Bunny. It went quite a bit more than what any of the guides have them at. It's a great book and the yellows are incredible.

The rest of the romance books are from an auction of high grade Harvey File copies. I managed to snag a handful.

More in the next post.

Sargon
4/20/2016
Topic:

sargon
sargon
Here are the rest of the romance books are from an auction of high grade Harvey File copies.

I love the Hi-Fi record player. Not as sleek as the kids' Ipods...

Sargon
5/1/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

sargon
sargon
CapnDoug wrote:
So, I haven't posted anything in a while, mostly because I haven't actually bought anything in a while. I did buy a few things at one con I worked, but that was a while back and that was the last of it. Not because I'm not interested. I am. But because I had a larger expense that was taking priority. At the moment, I am in New Jersey visiting Kairi. I know she doesn't post a lot, but she is a spam killing machine. Anyway, she just graduated from university and while she and I were together with her parents and family, it seemed like a great time to ask her to marry me.

She said yes.

So... that's the reason for no updates. I've been spending money on an engagement ring and plane tickets rather than comic collections.

Congratulations to both of you!

While I love comics, that's a much better set of things to be saving the money for. We are looking at 2 sets of college tuition here in the relatively near future.

Sargon
12/10/2016
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

sargon
sargon
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon