What was your first comic? Messages in this topic - RSS

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

9/24/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Mine was Rising Stars, Ultimate Spider-Man and Hellblazer. Wife got them for me on a whim for Christmas about 7 years ago.
+1 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

10/24/2018

Finley2020
Finley2020
Mine was Moon Knight #4 (vol 2). I recall paying a $1 for it at a LCS when I was 10 or so.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

10/24/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Remember this subject in the old forum.
The first book i bought that i can recall was X-Men #38 (90's series). bought for the artwork, Then another, So on & so forth... All a sudden i had a huge pile & thought how did that happen Whaaaaa?

But the first comic books i read were the Asterix & Obelix books. I was young, Still love the characters to this day.
edited by Gilgandra on 10/24/2018
0 link
solarno
solarno

10/26/2018

solarno
solarno
This is a cool question to think about, so here is the very long story about my first comic book.
It was a dark, bitingly cold winter day in early 1980. The term day is being rather generous as days are almost non-existent in the frozen north that is Alaska during winter. I was a typical 7 year old at the time, probably playing with toys or reading books acquired during Christmas the previous December and longing to ride the shiny new black and yellow bike that was just waiting for the perfect day to emerge from hibernation. When the wind chill is frequently negative double digits and the days short, there is not much for a 7 year old to do in 1980 Alaska. Live TV was practically non-existent unless we went to the officers club on the Coast Guard base. A town of 2,000 people, mostly fisherman and military, doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment. And the internet was still nearly 20 years away. Thank god for our Atari 2600!
I mentioned that live TV didn't really exist, but we still watched current-ish shows. It's just that since cable or satellite wasn't an option we had to wait weeks if not months for copies of shows to be literally shipped to the island to be broadcast on the local stations. At some point in 1979 one of the local stations finally received copies of a show that premiered on ABC in late 1978 for the lower 48 states and, as I had found out much later, had most likely already been cancelled by the time I fell in love with it. That show was Battlestar Galactica! I had seen a little known movie called Star Wars in theaters only two years before so was incredibly excited to see more adventures in space on our small (probably 13") TV. To my young mind this was just as amazing as Star Wars and seemingly more accessible as I could watch episode after episode, week after week. Colonial Vipers were just as cool as X-Wings. Cylons were even more intimidating than Stormtroopers (they actually hit their targets). And the Galactica itself... I was completely enthralled.
Back to the cold winter day. Eventually my Mom needed to go into town so she loaded up my sister and I and off we went. The local store had a small newsstand filled with the usual periodicals of the time, mostly. Like TV shows, most consumer goods were shipped to the island so things like publication dates were basically irrelevant. You got it whenever it arrived. This particular newsstand also had a small collection of comic books. I was never really interested in them except that this time there was one with a Colonial Viper being chased by a Cylon Raider and they were both flying off the cover right at me. Battlestar Galactica, in print, in front of me. By this time the local TV station would have played all the episodes they had and I was dying for more. I had to have this. I'd like to think I asked my mom nicely to buy it for me, but being 7 I was probably a little pest. I wouldn't have understood the value of the book at the time, but we didn't have a lot of money and I know now that $ .40 at the time wasn't cheap for something that my mom probably thought would just get trashed within a few weeks if not days. Because of how expensive it was to ship products to Alaska at the time it's very likely that the store actually charged more than cover price for most of the comics and periodicals.
My mom relented, or took it out of whatever allowance I might have earned at the time. Those details are insignificant bits of neural dust some 40 years later. It also didn't matter that it took over 6 months for this comic book to arrive in my little town in Alaska. A 7 year old doesn't care about things like publication dates. What matters is that I had Battlestar Galactica #4 in my hands and I could read it over and over. It was based on two episodes of the TV show and I could now relive the adventures I had watched on TV. Visit my fictional friends. Be enthralled with artwork that seemed to jump off the pages.
This book that engaged my imagination did not get trashed. Like all of my books I took care of it because I wanted to be able to read it whenever I needed to revisit my friends. Shortly thereafter there was a divorce, and we moved, a lot. It was in and out of moving boxes at least five times over the next five years. I didn't know what bags and boards were and I probably wouldn't have cared. This was something to hold in my hands and interact with, not an object to collect. No, I would just pack in with my other books. Somehow it managed to survive all of the moves. The cold winter in Alaska. Warm summers and more frigid winters in Michigan. The tropical humidity and bugs of a year in Hawai'i. And finally, in August 1985, the sometimes oppressive heat of Southern California.
By that time I was five years older and had been through a lot. I had had new homes, new friends, new interests. Battlestar Galactica had faded from being this amazing world I felt compelled to visit. (BSG 1980 didn't do much to help with that.) Star Wars had solidified itself in my psyche. I had discovered Tolkien, MTV, Dungeons and Dragons, cartography, and anime, especially Robotech. Two words for when I started watching Robotech in 1985: mind blown. It was possibly the coolest thing I'd ever seen on TV. It was BSG all over again, only I was older and wiser and could process more complex storytelling. My now 5 year old copy of Battlestar Galactica, which had been across the country and back with me now lived in a box in my closet, an afterthought lost to youth and growing older.
With so much change over those past five years, and so many new creative interests, comic books never really took hold in my mind as something to read. I was 12 and living in a new town in Southern California. It was 1985 so wandering around at that age by myself or with friends was no big deal. I had finished seeing a movie at the local multiplex and saw there was a comic book store right next door. On a whim I decided to walk in and I saw a comic book that said Robotech on it...
And here I am still in Southern California, 33 years and 5600+ comic books later. I'm happy to say that I still have that very first comic book I owned. It's in a bag and board now. It's in surprisingly good shape considering the number of times I would have read it. It lives with dozens of other BSG comic books. It's certainly not the most valuable comic book I own, but it means more to me than any other comic book I own.
You can see a picture of it here: https://thejimfurey.com/2018/10/26/my-first-comic-book-battlestar-galactica-4-june-1979-marvel/
Cheers!
Jim
edited by solarno on 10/26/2018
edited by solarno on 10/26/2018
+3 link
comic droid
comic droid

11/17/2018

comic droid
comic droid
The New Teen Titans No. 5

New off the stand. I still have it.
edited by Comic droid on 11/25/2018
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

11/17/2018

BasementComics
BasementComics
I don't recall my first comic but the series that jumpstarted my collecting comics was Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight in 1989 and going crazy from there.
+1 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

11/17/2018

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
I went to my local Tom Thumb grocery store in March 1976 with $3.00 and bought: Daredevil #130 & #131, Avengers #145, Thor #245, Defenders #33, Ironman #83 & #84, Incredible Hulk #187 and ASM #154. Still have them all, all in VG condition, all were read many, many, MANY times. The start of a long, long (on & off again) love affair. smile
+1 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

11/18/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
I had a few bought for me one Christmas. I was 39. A couple of random Rising Stars and Ultimate Spider-Man. Oh and Hellgate London.
0 link
ComicsDude
ComicsDude

12/3/2018

ComicsDude
ComicsDude
Honestly, I don't remember. I think it was some random issue of Marvel's Transformers series.
0 link
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb

5/31/2019

It was probably some Tintin I got from the library. My parents were very strict and fundamentalist christians so getting comic books was not something they really allowed. I only started getting my own comics as an adult.
0 link
drewzer15
drewzer15

6/16/2019

drewzer15
drewzer15
Batman #352, 356, 357 in a 3 pack. I wish I still had #357.
+1 link
Xardunathenax
Xardunathenax

6/16/2019

Xardunathenax
Xardunathenax
I don’t remember what my first actual comics was but the one I know for sure that I bought with my own money was New Mutants #1 in probably the mid to late 1980’s at $17.00.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

7/12/2019

rustyauger
rustyauger
Batman 472... bought it at the Husky convenience store in Nipawin for $1.25 CDN in 1992... now I have 14-713 complete
0 link
Razor5946
Razor5946

7/12/2019

Razor5946
Razor5946
rustyauger wrote:
Batman 472... bought it at the Husky convenience store in Nipawin for $1.25 CDN in 1992... now I have 14-713 complete

It was a Silver Surfer,may have been number 1.But that was the only comic I would buy when I was 6.My brothers and I would pull our cash,my pick was Silver Surfer.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

7/12/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
rustyauger wrote:

Batman #14-713?

Whoa that's a serious collection no matter the condition
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

7/12/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
rustyauger wrote:

I'm not far behind you. I am missing 1-9, 11 and 15.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

7/17/2019

rustyauger
rustyauger
BasementComics wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

No kidding. I haven't met anyone else going for Batman and 'Tec. Your 'Tec collection is insane. For Batman I have a page from #1. I have #4 and 12 as well. Detective I have a bunch from the 100s and a rough copy of 34. Otherwise I am missing 204, 205, 215, and 225 from the 200s. I don't know how I'll ever afford a 225.

Good luck with your search
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

7/17/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
rustyauger wrote:
BasementComics wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

No kidding. I haven't met anyone else going for Batman and 'Tec. Your 'Tec collection is insane. For Batman I have a page from #1. I have #4 and 12 as well. Detective I have a bunch from the 100s and a rough copy of 34. Otherwise I am missing 204, 205, 215, and 225 from the 200s. I don't know how I'll ever afford a 225.

I got lucky on Detective 225. About 15 years ago, I bought a CGC 4.0 copy for $500. It was worth $750 so I knew I got a great deal. Now it's skyrocketed.

For me, I cannot believe that Detective 85 and 80 (two I'm missing to clean up a run) are worth so darn much. The price I see on eBay is now reflected here but that still doesn't make it an easy pill to swallow. I do have a .5 graded Detective 38 too.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

7/17/2019

rustyauger
rustyauger
BasementComics wrote:
rustyauger wrote:
BasementComics wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

I got lucky on Detective 225. About 15 years ago, I bought a CGC 4.0 copy for $500. It was worth $750 so I knew I got a great deal. Now it's skyrocketed.

For me, I cannot believe that Detective 85 and 80 (two I'm missing to clean up a run) are worth so darn much. The price I see on eBay is now reflected here but that still doesn't make it an easy pill to swallow. I do have a .5 graded Detective 38 too.

Yeah I love this site, but I feel like it undervalues DC comics generally and especially low-grade Batman and Detectives are not valued the same as they are in the market place.
0 link
WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior

7/21/2019

WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior
My first comic book purchase was when I was 13 years old. I bought Amazing Spider-man #252 ...

https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/amazing-spider-man-the/252/pkwrcvw

I was hooked and began my treasure hunt of collecting all kinds of comic book heroes! wink