What was your first comic? Messages in this topic - RSS

Sparky Reynolds
Sparky Reynolds

7/30/2019

Sparky Reynolds
Sparky Reynolds
I can't remember the first, but I remember saving my allowance for what seemed like forever to buy the Death of Superman issue 75 in the black bag with all the goodies inside...It was so hard not to open and read it, I think I lasted a week and a couple of days before I carefully cut the bag open....I was 12 or 13 at the time, it was 1993, can't remember which month.....

Right around the same time my friend told me to grab any comics that I wanted from this shelf in his garage, none bagged and boarded, all readers in good condition just sitting there. They belonged to his moms X Boyfriend, and she wanted to throw them out, and my friend could care less about comics. I wish I took them all, but I was in a hurry to go home because "Life Goes On" with Corky was about to come on....

I did come away with Peter Parker the Spectacular Spiderman #1, and ASM #'s 297-303, but didn't realize at the time how important 298,299,300 and 301 were, or gonna be.....I have more than one of each of these issues now, well not 301 yet....but none of the ones I now have, are the ones I got that day.......

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life goes on.....La, Da, Da.....
+1 link
Lisajohny543
Lisajohny543

8/24/2019

Lisajohny543
Lisajohny543
My was avengers.
0 link
Stivemorgan
Stivemorgan

9/24/2019

Stivemorgan
Stivemorgan
Hi there. I am new to this forum. My first comic was Batman smile
edited by stivemorgan on 9/25/2019
+1 link
JGMelville
JGMelville

10/23/2019

JGMelville
JGMelville
I was sick with Chicken Pox and my aunt gave me a Scooby-Doo comic. Not sure of the publisher or issue #, but it was the mid-70's. I received a Brave and the Bold 142 (Aquaman) (https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/brave-and-the-bold-the/142/ybpvk) with no cover. I liked the story so much that I had to get a version of 142 with a cover to see what the cover looked like. That's where I caught the fever, and as I got out of school and got my first job, I was into collecting. Batman, Detecitive, Brave and the Bold, World's Finest. I still collect Batman and Detective 40 years later.
edited by JGMelville on 10/23/2019
edited by JGMelville on 1/3/2020
+2 link
BC2015
BC2015

11/2/2019

BC2015
BC2015
It was Star Wars #7. I remember clearly because I was in the hospital, recovering from surgery, and my parents bought it from the gift shop because I was needing something to read and they knew I liked Star Wars. I was so confused with all the new characters and had no idea what the heck was happening in the book. Despite that, I was still hooked.
+2 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

11/5/2019

fdaz89
fdaz89
Star Wars #1 (first series) and Amazing Spider-Man #167 (first appearance of Will O' The Wisp).
+1 link
Thompsonmax
Thompsonmax

12/9/2019

Thompsonmax
Thompsonmax
Hello everyone. My first comic was Batman: The Dark Knight #1-37. I have read every page of all the volumes. I still like this character and all movies and comics with him.
edited by thompsonmax on 12/10/2019
edited by thompsonmax on 12/10/2019
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/9/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
When you tell us about your first comic be sure to say the issue number. It gives us some perspective.

Got to love Batman
+1 link
Thompsonmax
Thompsonmax

12/10/2019

Thompsonmax
Thompsonmax
Ronbatman wrote:
When you tell us about your first comic be sure to say the issue number. It gives us some perspective.

Got to love Batman

Hi there. Thanks for a piece of advice. I have edited my reply. I hope now everything is ok wink
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

12/12/2019

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
WaveWarrior wrote:
My first comic book purchase was when I was 13 years old. I bought Amazing Spider-man #252 ...

https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/amazing-spider-man-the/252/xlwvl

I was hooked and began my treasure hunt of collecting all kinds of comic book heroes! wink

Sweet book to start your treasure hunt with Wave Warrior Cool
+1 link
canesmacker
canesmacker

12/15/2019

canesmacker
canesmacker
I don't remember my first comic. But going back 45+ years I do remember my Dad taking me to an old antique/book/comic book store in downtown Miami called Abacus.
I bought ASM 54 & 72 for a few bucks - no comic bag or board in the early 70s.
I do remember buying books off those old rotating comic racks at 7-11 along with a slurpee in those awesome Marvel Slurpee Cups.
Those comics were .20, .25 and .50 for the Giant-Size books like GS X-Men #1 which I still have in ratty poor condition.
I miss those days.
0 link
Unclejonno
Unclejonno

12/20/2019

Unclejonno
Unclejonno
I'm not sure of the exact chronology, but a few things come to mind.

In about '95, I got a show bag with Bloodshot #0 (the foil cover variant). That's quite a collectable item now. Unfortunately it got really beat up and must have been thrown out at some point. I actually dug through some old children's books that mum kept trying to find it haha.

I really liked Garfield when I was a kid and at some point I had a collection of the strips.

In about 2000-ish my uncle gave me a stack of 50-100 copies of 'The Phantom' from the late 90s. I still have those.
0 link
Imcubillo
Imcubillo

1/1/2020

Imcubillo
Imcubillo
I bought amazing Spider-Man 298 first cameo of venom and read that thing at least 100 times. In the years since, I have kept that book and it is equivalent to Scrooge mcducks lucky penny where it is beat up but I will never get rid of it. I have several mint copies, but that beat up version is the prize jewel.
+1 link
Carnage1992
Carnage1992

1/27/2020

Carnage1992
Carnage1992
My first comic was from the late 70s, Fantastic Four #197. Starting collecting comics around that time. I use to walk to the corner drug store as a kid to pick up candy and the latest issues. I wish I would have kept all of my comics from my childhood. Including my old FF collection!
0 link