ComicFan70

all messages by user

1/2/2016
Topic:
Books right off the shelves

ComicFan70
ComicFan70
Hi all,

I've been collecting on/off for years, and one of the things that bugs me is when a book is bought off the shelf in a LCS, it looks pretty good, it gets home, possibly read (with fingers barely touching the book at all), and slipped into a bag and boarded.

What would the grade of a book be w/ no discernible defects, no strange random spots, the pages are cut well, etc...
(when the book is at the store), then after a book is read with care, and bagged/boarded and so on?

Would it be safe to say at least a 9?

(The reason I ask is I've not gotten around to grading anything yet UNLESS the book was damaged in some way that was noticeable.)

Thanks for reading!
1/2/2016
Topic:
"Event" books

ComicFan70
ComicFan70
Hi all,

Remember back when 'events' in Marvel or DC MEANT something? I do, and I really don't think an event every year or so, or a 'new' #1 actually deserves all the hype the companies put out.

Examples (not chronological)
Amazons Attacks
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Final Crisis
52/Countdown
Secret Wars (the original), Secret Wars II
Convergence
Blackest Night
Death/Reign of the Supermen
Cap's 'Death' and recovery, and loss of Super Soldier Serum, two 'new' Captain America
Batman's 'Death' and recovery, and memory loss, a 'new' Batman
Original SINS
Ultimate universe and 616 universes mixing in the films and comics now
New 52 and Tim Drake is no longer a Robin
Thor losing his hammer, and/or worthiness to hold and wield Mjolnir, giving rise to Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike, the 'red haired' Thor, and now Jane Foster...

Anyone have anymore 'events' that they feel weren't worth the time and money? Don't get me wrong, but I liked a few of the above events, some were 'meh', but I felt a few were just not worth my time/money. Especially when it comes to variant covers!

Are these 'earth' and/or 'universe' changing events, or are they just for a temporary bump in interest and sales while waiting for the new films?
2/26/2016
Topic:
Examples of various grades

ComicFan70
ComicFan70
This is a question I have had for a long time. If someone buys a book from a LCS, they expect the book to look good, no major defects, etc. So, when buying a book off the shelf, taking it home, reading it once with minimal stress on the spine (no folding over, etc.) cover still intact, glossy and whatnot, what would one expect the grade to be for the book straight off the shelf?

9.5 - 8.5 maybe?
edited by ComicFan70 on 2/26/2016
edited by ComicFan70 on 2/26/2016
4/25/2016
Topic:
Books right off the shelves

ComicFan70
ComicFan70
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, apologies for the delay, RL health gets in the way. After reading these, I think I can safely say that, just as chukueke said, I take my time to find the best looking one on the shelves. I don't bring bags/boards with me, but I do gingerly open them and read them, quickly put them in bags, etc. So, I think my initial grade of 9 'off the rack' was a little on the low side, as I've probably seen, picked up, handled, read and put away books at least a 9.4+.

And as erichey was saying, I keep care to keep my books out of the sun, humidity, etc.

As a quick Q - Does anyone totally rebag their books with new boards, bags every 5-7 years as I've heard, or is this an urban LCS legend?