Jtolar

all messages by user

12/31/2015
Topic:
Can't find a certain Batman issue in search

Jtolar
Jtolar
I recently started collecting again and have been entering my collection. I have two books I cannot find. Since I am on an iPad it will only allow my one picture per post so her is the first.

DC Annual 1991 Armageddon 2001 Batman #15

Thanks for your help.
edited by Jtolar on 12/31/2015
12/31/2015
Topic:

Jtolar
Jtolar
I found the other comic but still can't find this.
1/1/2016
Topic:

Jtolar
Jtolar
Thanks. Could have sworn I searched batman annual.
2/13/2016
Topic:
An iPhone App?

Jtolar
Jtolar
netstuffers wrote:
Yeah, it's one of our goals for this year. We need to get the site stable again after our site crash, and then we'll turn our eyes there.

I don't think it would be too big an effort. Being a web dev for 18+ years myself I have peeked at how your site works. You already have the services in place. Good work already.
11/10/2016
Topic:
Black #1 Comicsheatingup.net Variant

Jtolar
Jtolar
Title: Black
Missing Issues: #1
Publisher: Black Mask
Publication Years: 2016
Cover Price: $3.99
Comicsheatingup.net Variant Cover Limited to 250 copies.
Available through frankiescomics.com produced by comicsheatingup.com.

11/17/2016
Topic:
Green Arrow Recommendations?

Jtolar
Jtolar
I agree... Mike Grell's First Series Is great, Also the Green Arrow / Black Canary series is pretty good. My primary collection is Green Arrow and / or Black Canary Sets. The Wonder Year is a good 4-part series and of course The Longbow Hunters.
11/29/2016
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

Jtolar
Jtolar
So reading the point system above for approvals is it safe to assume the opposite is true for incorrect submissions?

If I see that a submission has already been marked as incorrect from someone at level 4 it now has a score of -4. If I also verify it as incorrect it is now -8. Once that item reaches -10 it is removed?
11/30/2016
Topic:
Suggestion: Variant Creators

Jtolar
Jtolar
With the new community verification feature hopefully we will be able to verify creators faster. It seems that creators are not entered very often for variants even though they are the same for the original. The internals of the book is the same just a different cover artist. Does it not make sense to automatically duplicate the creators (minus cover artists) of the primary edition to the variants once they have been verified? Just a thought.

Maybe an admin feature to do this?
edited by jtolar on 11/30/2016
11/30/2016
Topic:

Jtolar
Jtolar
netstuffers wrote:
in future versions, we'll include user comments with their vote so people can see the back and forth discussions.

Right... currently you can only add a comment when down voting. There has been times where I have seen an error in the down vote but cannot explain why I think it is correct. Like a second cover artist, Someone down voted a second cover artist even though it was correct.
edited by jtolar on 11/30/2016
12/3/2016
Topic:
How do you sort your collection...

Jtolar
Jtolar
I have recently purchased an inherited collection of about 300-400 comics for $60. I generally have my collection sorted alphabetically except for Green Arrow / black canary series (my favs) which are stored together sorted alphabetically, volume, issue.

Now with this new collection I added 3 new boxes that hasn't been sorted yet but realized that I can't keep adding to the collection and sorting it the way I have without moving issues to new boxes.

Question is how do you sort you growing collection while maintaining order and being able to find things when you want it?

Other than CPG, do you have another program you use? Do you label boxes or use dividers?
12/3/2016
Topic:
How do you sort your collection...

Jtolar
Jtolar
Gilgandra wrote:
also have used Windows Works

LOL.... haven't heard that in a minute... Recently I have started labeling the boxes with a label maker and when they move I update it here. It would be nice to have a Web Service or something to make an app to update only from my phone. The mobile version is just to heavy for a "quick" update.
12/4/2016
Topic:
Need Help

Jtolar
Jtolar
According to this It is worth $14.40 with a grade of 9.6.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1038597015 - is the link to the registry for this specific comic when it was graded.

12/7/2016
Topic:
Need advice on a massive collection..

Jtolar
Jtolar
The first thing to do is *BREATHE*. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

You have two good answers already. I have not used mycomicshop.com for the consignment service but they are very reputable. I use them for subscription services and they have a great support staff that is easy to work with.

Most of the time if you take it to a comic shop they will offer you a bulk price usually about 1/2 of the assumed value depending on the condition and titles. Not saying they are trying to cheat you, but if it is a large collection they may not have time to go through the whole collection but it is the easiest route. They are just taking the chance that they will make their money back eventually. I personally have bought collections in the past and have come out on both sides of the deal.

EBay has a couple of options. 1) You can take the time to go through the collection and figure out what you want to sell and list it (a lot of work) or 2) Sell it by the box... Mystery box of X comics Starting bid $30. Unsorted and Unfiltered.

I actually sat down and sorted through over 600 comics last night and I was able to do it in 2 hours, now checking prices on all those is a different story. It took me about 6 hours to price and enter about 400 comics in to CPG last time I did it.

So the jist is you have several options it just depends on what you expect to get out of it and what you are willing to put in. If you ever thought about collecting as a hobby you have a great start there.
12/7/2016
Topic:
Need advice on a massive collection..

Jtolar
Jtolar
Jtolar wrote:
Mystery box of X comics Starting bid $30. Unsorted and Unfiltered.

Starting bid was just an example... the price is up to you but you want to sell them and make money,
12/10/2016
Topic:

Jtolar
Jtolar
I was wondering the same thing. Although the overall process is great and you see a noticeable difference in how quickly things get approved I think there are a lot of people that just click approve without verifying the actual data.

I think it is because people see it as a quick and easy way to improve their rank. Is this the case?

I have a program I wrote at lunch the other day that allows me to highlight and copy the title and issue number, paste it into the search box and it will lookup the data on wikia. If it is incorrect I then google it to find multiple resources to confirm it.
edited by Jtolar on 12/10/2016
3/17/2018
Topic:
Problems with new design

Jtolar
Jtolar
I am not sure if this has been reported but the link to add artists / writers does not work (at least in chrome 6x).
7/21/2018
Topic:
Collection export options and UPCs

Jtolar
Jtolar
I know there had been requests for different ways to look at data in your collection but i would like to ask for more options. I would like to be able to export my collections in different formats (xml, unformatted xls, json). I spoke with someone last year about doing some development for the site and i am willing to do some of this development.

I would like to be able to print box labels and labels with bar codes organize my collection better (would also love to have UPCs available in the database).
7/21/2018
Topic:
UPC; Why input? Whats it for?

Jtolar
Jtolar
Not sure why it logged me out in the post above. btw, I have a Zebra LS2208 and some Symbol wireless handhelds also for testing. I know i would be willing to scan all my comics with bar codes.
edited by jtolar on 7/29/2018
7/29/2018
Topic:
Incorrect Price Data - Tarzan #104

Jtolar
Jtolar
Tarzan #104 price is listed as $10.00 instead of $.15
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/tarzan/104/plyqov
edited by jtolar on 7/29/2018
7/29/2018
Topic:
Incorrect Price Data - The Flash #250