keith hollingsworth

all messages by user

6/4/2017
Topic:
Marvel pence copies

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
aarondawe wrote:
Agree with Defiant -- I remember years ago on these boards there were people arguing whether or not the '60's Marvel pence copies were reprints or not, so it's clear that there are many that don't consider them 'legitimate' because they are misinformed. They are a smaller subset of the full run printed, which could lead to higher values in future, if people accept these for what they are.

Aaron
6/4/2017
Topic:
Marvel pence copies

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
Understandably the cents copies were rarer in the U.K. as distribution in the sixties was poor. Obviously Pence copies are much more available in the U.K. but it is correct to say there will be significantly fewer pence copies compared with cents copies sold for the U.S. market. It is absurd to value #1 of Black Panther (cents copy) at $90 and the same issue as a pence copy at $12! The values in the guide may reflect prices in the U.S. but I have noticed that pence copies actually realise values in pounds sterling equivalent to prices in dollars listed in the guide, i.e. $10=£10, so given the exchange rate comics realise a better price in the U.K. than they do in the states!
5/1/2018
Topic:
UK Comic Collectors

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
kurdzielg wrote:
Hi I am a uk comic collector. I have been since the late 70s, so I have quite a large collection. Why is it that the cent cover price is so much more expensive than the pence (9d) price even though they are the same comic. If anything they should be worth more as a variant cover.?
5/1/2018
Topic:
UK Comic Collectors

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
There seems to be a certain snobbery on the part of CPG as far as valuing pence copies which has no resemblance to the real world and the prices pence copies attain. e.g. Iron Man #55 (f) cents copy - $514, pence copy - $250. Less than half price, really? Perhaps CPG should look at what pence copies sell for on eBay in the U.K. As you say, they are rarer than dollar issues by virtue of the fact that the U.K. is a fraction of the size of the States and therefore there were far fewer pence copies produced
5/5/2018
Topic:
UK Comic Collectors

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
Oxbladder wrote:
It has nothing to do with snobbery, scarcity, or anything else. It has everything to do with demand. The bulk of collectors are North American and it costs a lot of money to get pence copies sent here. Not to mention there have been questions over the years as to whether or not they were reprints or not. Some may even still consider them reprints. The long and the short of it though is that the overall demand is low so the prices stay low. Even Canadian newsstand editions of many books don't go for anything at all. I am fairly certain that for most superhero books you could realize decent value for high grade copies of just about every "key" but step away from hero books and it really changes. So this pricing of foreign newsstand copies is largely an artificial manifestation anyway that only a few people partake in.
5/5/2018
Topic:
UK Comic Collectors

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
Well as far as British collectors are concerned cents copies are more sought after but the guide isn’t taking into account what pence copies fetch in the U.K. I must admit I hadn’t considered that the ‘pence’ copies were valued at what U.S. collectors would pay for them and not what they fetch in the U.K. Maybe the ‘snobbery’ is a reflection of the belief you mention that they are ‘reprints’, when in fact they were published concurrently with the cents copies, just printed with a different cover price. Sellers in the U.S. should also note the issues that had a poor distribution in the U.K.
As an example Werewolf by Night issues 18 and 19 are hard to find in the U.K., cents or pence, even though the price guide doesn’t recognise this and values those issues the same as issues just before or after which are easily available.
8/22/2019
Topic:
Adding missing variants?

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
I am unable to add any missing variants, I get the same message every time “unable to add the issue due to an unidentified problem”
11/17/2022
Topic:
Missing: Showcase Presents The Spectre (#60)

keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth
I am unable to find the DC silver age comic Showcase Presents featuring The Spectre