jlips4

all messages by user

8/21/2019
Topic:
VF+ Graded books valued less than Raw values?

jlips4
jlips4
Hi there,

I've been a little perplexed with some values I've noticed on some books where the Raw value is actually higher than the Graded value of books that are in 8.5 or lower condition. For example, Detective Comics #880 (Regular edition-2011), the value for a Raw copy in 8.5 is about $20 more than a Graded copy also in 8.5. And this is consistent all the way down the grading scale to 0.5. I would think that if you have it professionally graded and slabbed, that copy would have more value if anything. The only thing I could rationalize is that professionally graded copies are marketed toward collectors and there just isn't a market for anything under a 8.5 grade for their collections unless it's a key Golden/Silver Age book. Can someone provide additional insight? Thanks!
8/21/2019
Topic:
Thoughts on Artist Signatures

jlips4
jlips4
I wanted to get an idea of everyone's thoughts on artist signatures on comics. I know there's been a bit of a debate where some people view signatures on covers as a defect while others view signatures as added value to their books. I have always felt signatures added value to my books. But recently I acquired a Marc Silvestri autograph on a copy of Uncanny X-Men #221, but right after he signed the book, he accidentally smudged the signature, enough that it's a bit of an eye sore. How badly does this actually devalue a book?
11/3/2020
Topic:
The Last Ronin is here but that means...

jlips4
jlips4
The Last Ronin #1 has hit the stands and if you're lucky enough to get your hands on a copy, you would have seen the big reveal to the identity of the mystery turtle. Does that mean that TMNT #110 which had a preview of The Last Ronin and touted as a "First Appearance", is no longer a key book? Thoughts?
5/31/2023
Topic:
Surprise Contest

jlips4
jlips4
Battle Action