stevefromtopsfield

all messages by user

12/7/2017
Topic:
Early Walking Dead to grade or not to grade

stevefromtopsfield
stevefromtopsfield
Hi everyone, my first post, and I was hoping to hit up this community for some sound advice. Skip to the next paragraph if you want to skip the long story: I was watching the second episode from this seasons Comic Book Men and they featured someone buying a #19 Walking Dead, Michone's first appearance. It was ungraded tagged at $399 and sold on the show (reality show I know, not real) for $350. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks! I have a ton of old Walking Dead! Ran to the closet and busted out my Kirkman long box, Battle Popes, Invincible, and there they were. I couldn't believe it as I pulled out #19 in pristine condition bagged and boarded. I collected before the show came on. I have in my collection #'s 11-79 with a handful of missing ones in there, but I have most of the key issues.

So the quick version for my post, is should I have those key issues graded? I have 19 27 53 all in 9.8 condition. 19 possibly a 9.4-9.6 I'm no expert but damn near perfect. Considering the cost for having books graded, should I go through that process for those key issues, or even like these 11 12 15 16 17 18 20 21 22 23 27 30 those early ones in a 9.8 value pretty high on this site and others like Comic Book Realm.

I want to sell the whole collection ASAP while the market is hot for them, so that has to be taken into account. I went to one comic book store here in Ipswich Massachusetts and got low balled at $350 for the lot, I didn't bother with a counter, told her I'd think about it and get back to her. So I have these books, ALL in 9.8 condition bagged and boarded, please offer me some advice! Should I get the big three 19 27 53 CGC graded, at a cost of $30 to sign up, plus like , what $30-50 to grade each book?

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this everyone, I know I'm asking a lot for a first post, but this is damned exciting. Not as huge as finding a crate of silver age Marvel but it's pretty cool! I didn't expect these books I purchased less than 10 years ago to have this much value, but I realize the show won't be on forever, and I think it's time to get while the gettin's good.
edited by stevefromtopsfield on 12/7/2017