Early Walking Dead to grade or not to grade Messages in this topic - RSS

stevefromtopsfield
stevefromtopsfield

12/7/2017

Hi everyone, my first post, and I was hoping to hit up this community for some sound advice. Skip to the next paragraph if you want to skip the long story: I was watching the second episode from this seasons Comic Book Men and they featured someone buying a #19 Walking Dead, Michone's first appearance. It was ungraded tagged at $399 and sold on the show (reality show I know, not real) for $350. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks! I have a ton of old Walking Dead! Ran to the closet and busted out my Kirkman long box, Battle Popes, Invincible, and there they were. I couldn't believe it as I pulled out #19 in pristine condition bagged and boarded. I collected before the show came on. I have in my collection #'s 11-79 with a handful of missing ones in there, but I have most of the key issues.

So the quick version for my post, is should I have those key issues graded? I have 19 27 53 all in 9.8 condition. 19 possibly a 9.4-9.6 I'm no expert but damn near perfect. Considering the cost for having books graded, should I go through that process for those key issues, or even like these 11 12 15 16 17 18 20 21 22 23 27 30 those early ones in a 9.8 value pretty high on this site and others like Comic Book Realm.

I want to sell the whole collection ASAP while the market is hot for them, so that has to be taken into account. I went to one comic book store here in Ipswich Massachusetts and got low balled at $350 for the lot, I didn't bother with a counter, told her I'd think about it and get back to her. So I have these books, ALL in 9.8 condition bagged and boarded, please offer me some advice! Should I get the big three 19 27 53 CGC graded, at a cost of $30 to sign up, plus like , what $30-50 to grade each book?

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this everyone, I know I'm asking a lot for a first post, but this is damned exciting. Not as huge as finding a crate of silver age Marvel but it's pretty cool! I didn't expect these books I purchased less than 10 years ago to have this much value, but I realize the show won't be on forever, and I think it's time to get while the gettin's good.
edited by stevefromtopsfield on 12/7/2017
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/8/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
First off you have to determine what the market is actually paying for graded copies and you have to be very critical when self grading your books. It doesn't take much to drop a book below 9.8. I would take a look at REALIZED prices on eBay, maybe take a look at subscribing to GoCollect or GPA to see just how the market has been for TWD books.
0 link
anstettoman
anstettoman

12/14/2017

anstettoman
anstettoman
probably a good idea to start to sell this series with the exception of issue #1 which should hold some value. With a potential death at the beginning of next season (don't want to spoil it for those who have not watched the latest episode mid season finale) could spell the beginning of the end for the series and the 1st appearance of negan, governor, michone and Darryl who wasn't even in the books as a character wont be important
just my 2cents
0 link