nrm2492

all messages by user

7/1/2017
Topic:
Just Getting Started in Collecting..

nrm2492
nrm2492
Hello Everyone,

I'm just beginning to get started in collecting. All of this is a bit overwhelming, and not really even sure to start outside of some characters and cartoons I was really interested in as a child growing up. Should I start with "First Appearances" and some "Number 1's,"? I'm looking for any ideas on some issues I should try to get my hands on that may have some future value without also breaking the bank...

Looking forward to everyone's insight. Have a great 4th!

Nathan
7/2/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
First of all, thank you so much for your detailed submission! I really appreciate it. This gives me a lot to think about and research. I'm sure as I progress, I will learn so much more. What are your thoughts on grading? What should be graded versus not? Newer comics okay? Older comics best? Or just comics that are of special interest to me that I seek to preserve for the long-term? Have a great 4th friend!
7/2/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
Thanks for the recommendations Dav1. Have a great one!
7/5/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
Gilgandra wrote:
First of welcome to the boards & to the best collecting medium in the world, It's additive once you get that knowledge in your head.

*What cartoons did you grow up watching?
*Are you into superhero or the darker stuff?

Everyone may say just collect keys or 1st App. but there is so much more out there!
Anyhoo! here are some books you should have as a start ...

Marvel Comics:
ASM (Amazing Spider-Man) #298-300 (1st App: Venom & Todd McFarlane artwork). There are too many ASM books to mention here that one would collect.
ASM #238 with Lakeside Tattooz insert.
Fantastic Four #252 also with Lakeside Tattooz insert
Star Wars #1 & 2 (1st app: Star Wars characters pre movie). #42 1st App: Boba Fett & #68 (Boba Fett cover) lastly #107 HTF. the whole series is cool & any book in high grade would be a good buy.
Silver Surfer Vol.3 #34, #44-50 All Thanos & Infinity Gauntlet Related.
Thanos Quest #1-2. Same as above.

DC Comics:
Batman Adventures #1-36. Plus Annuals & Special (Mad Love).
Batman #423 (Todd McFarlane Cover), #426-429 (Death in the Family Story-line).
Preacher #1-66. including all specials & one-shots.
Tales of the Teen Titans #44 first Nightwing
Superman Adventures #4-5 Cameo & 1st App: Livewire.
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 1st App: Darkseid (in a tiny panel Lol)
Forever People #1 first full Darkseid.

... again there are 2 zillion more books out to get Lol.
I'm these will be enough to get your mouth watering, Do your research & only buy higher grade (around 7.5 & above).
The other members hopefully will be kind enough to add what they think is cool books to get.

Have fun dude & ask any questions you want on the subject, We all would love to hear it.
7/5/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
After receiving your message, I've already spent approximately $500 on comics that you've recommended as well as some others. I think I'm going to have to stop for the month of July, lol...
7/5/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
JokerBangedQuinn, thanks for much for the suggestion. Just looked it up on Ebay. What an amazing cover! Have definitely added it to my "watch list." Take care!
7/7/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
Wow! Thank you friend. I really appreciate your insight into this world. I can't tell you how valuable it is for someone that's just getting started, but wants to get started right! Have a great weekend.

Nathan
7/8/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
Thanks again guys for all of your help. Hope all of you have a great weekend!

Mr. Mitchell smile LOL
7/14/2017
Topic:

nrm2492
nrm2492
Hi Plazzma! I can empathize with you. I've been doing the majority of my purchases off of Ebay, which I think is helpful in being able to examine grades of comics, etc. (At least if there are good pictures anyway). Personally, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm worrying too much about this (meaning grades). For instance, I would love to pickup a copy of Superman/Jimmy Olson #134, however, you have to pay out the wazoo for a good graded copy. What are your thoughts?

Plazzma wrote:
Hi, looking to get back into the swing of things on collecting again myself...mainly for my young boys (7 and 10). Trying to get them into it for fun reading. As for myself, I want to get a little more into it, maybe a tad bit OCD with the grades or conditions of the books I'm getting. I'd like to gear towards newer releases (I'm a Marvel fan). By OCD, I mean I would prefer to purchase comics as in the best shape they get can be of the shelf (obviously)...do I expect a grade 10 off the shelves, no...I wish. Unless there are tips you all have I can get to getting the pick of the litter on new release days? Unless that is the rub...staff gets the good stuff, customers not so much? I don't know, I guess in regards to grades right on the the shelf/rack (if handled by staff with care), what is the usual average to expect?

Sorry, long unrealistic expectations on what to expect when wanting to get the best condition books that you are looking to get.