Just Getting Started in Collecting.. Messages in this topic - RSS

nrm2492
nrm2492

7/1/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
Hello Everyone,

I'm just beginning to get started in collecting. All of this is a bit overwhelming, and not really even sure to start outside of some characters and cartoons I was really interested in as a child growing up. Should I start with "First Appearances" and some "Number 1's,"? I'm looking for any ideas on some issues I should try to get my hands on that may have some future value without also breaking the bank...

Looking forward to everyone's insight. Have a great 4th!

Nathan
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/1/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
First of welcome to the boards & to the best collecting medium in the world, It's additive once you get that knowledge in your head.

*What cartoons did you grow up watching?
*Are you into superhero or the darker stuff?

Everyone may say just collect keys or 1st App. but there is so much more out there!
Anyhoo! here are some books you should have as a start ...

Marvel Comics:
ASM (Amazing Spider-Man) #298-300 (1st App: Venom & Todd McFarlane artwork). There are too many ASM books to mention here that one would collect.
ASM #238 with Lakeside Tattooz insert.
Fantastic Four #252 also with Lakeside Tattooz insert
Star Wars #1 & 2 (1st app: Star Wars characters pre movie). #42 1st App: Boba Fett & #68 (Boba Fett cover) lastly #107 HTF. the whole series is cool & any book in high grade would be a good buy.
Silver Surfer Vol.3 #34, #44-50 All Thanos & Infinity Gauntlet Related.
Thanos Quest #1-2. Same as above.

DC Comics:
Batman Adventures #1-36. Plus Annuals & Special (Mad Love).
Batman #423 (Todd McFarlane Cover), #426-429 (Death in the Family Story-line).
Preacher #1-66. including all specials & one-shots.
Tales of the Teen Titans #44 first Nightwing
Superman Adventures #4-5 Cameo & 1st App: Livewire.
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 1st App: Darkseid (in a tiny panel Lol)
Forever People #1 first full Darkseid.

... again there are 2 zillion more books out to get Lol.
I'm these will be enough to get your mouth watering, Do your research & only buy higher grade (around 7.5 & above).
The other members hopefully will be kind enough to add what they think is cool books to get.

Have fun dude & ask any questions you want on the subject, We all would love to hear it.
+1 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/2/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
First of all, thank you so much for your detailed submission! I really appreciate it. This gives me a lot to think about and research. I'm sure as I progress, I will learn so much more. What are your thoughts on grading? What should be graded versus not? Newer comics okay? Older comics best? Or just comics that are of special interest to me that I seek to preserve for the long-term? Have a great 4th friend!
0 link
dav1
dav1

7/2/2017

dav1
dav1
scalped is good get it now before tv show.
+1 link
dav1
dav1

7/2/2017

dav1
dav1
grading is good if your going to sale later on I have some graded. And new teen titans 2 first Deathstroke
0 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/2/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
Thanks for the recommendations Dav1. Have a great one!
0 link
dav1
dav1

7/3/2017

dav1
dav1
oh and if you can death of captain marvel graphic novel
0 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/5/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
Gilgandra wrote:
First of welcome to the boards & to the best collecting medium in the world, It's additive once you get that knowledge in your head.

Everyone may say just collect keys or 1st App. but there is so much more out there!

Marvel Comics:
ASM (Amazing Spider-Man) #298-300 (1st App: Venom & Todd McFarlane artwork). There are too many ASM books to mention here that one would collect.
Star Wars #1 & 2 (1st app: Star Wars characters pre movie). #42 1st App: Boba Fett & #68 (Boba Fett cover) lastly #107 HTF. the whole series is cool & any book in high grade would be a good buy.

DC Comics:

I'm these will be enough to get your mouth watering, Do your research & only buy higher grade (around 7.5 & above).
The other members hopefully will be kind enough to add what they think is cool books to get.

Have fun dude & ask any questions you want on the subject, We all would love to hear it.
0 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/5/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
After receiving your message, I've already spent approximately $500 on comics that you've recommended as well as some others. I think I'm going to have to stop for the month of July, lol...
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/5/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Batman: the
Killing Joke

A must have for most Batman fans. Has been reprinted oodles of times it is so good. The first printing got expensive but easy to find.
+1 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/5/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
JokerBangedQuinn, thanks for much for the suggestion. Just looked it up on Ebay. What an amazing cover! Have definitely added it to my "watch list." Take care!
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/7/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
... And some more for next month smile

Happy you found that info worthwhile, It's awesome to give info to people who really want to collect them.

So here's some more & have fun tracking these down. Some are worth there weight in gold others great reads the rest ...Comic book collecting stables.

Astonishing Tales #25 (1st App: Deathlok & first George Perez work in comics).
Ultimate Fallout #4 (1st App: Miles Morales) This came Polly-bagged.
Books of Magic #1-4 Mini series. (most older members know my hatred for Harry potter being a rip-off, This series tells you why Hmpf!!) Has multiple spin-offs & a DC/Vertigo universe that truly magical.
All Star Comics #58 (1st App: Power Girl).
Adventures of Superman #466 (1st App: Cyborg Superman)
Incredible Hulk #340 Popular cover.
Marvel Super-Heroes #8 (1st Squirrel-Girl) Don't laugh ...Get it)
Batman Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham (Has the most legendary punch in comics history).
UXM #221 (1st Mr. Sinister) watch this book explode when he comes to the big screen).
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight One-shot (first Elseworlds book) Don't think about collecting comics without this one!!!
DC Special #21 (1980) first Frank Miller Batman artwork.
Camelot 3000 #1-12 brilliant read.
Captain Atom #42-43 (1987) first Death & Destiny of the endless in DC comics continuity. I'll explain this later???
Lobo: Chained One-shot. Story starts with a ten dollar bet, The cover says it all.
Cosmic Powers #1-6 Great read & Thanos related, Has the rarely seen Tyrant who was created by Galactus & made him his equal. This dude can squish Thanos like a bug, Wonder why he was never seen Lol. Sadly Marvel killed him off because i think they realized what he could do ...Go toe to toe with Galactus upset
Silver Surfer #81 (1st App: Tyrant)
Samurai Jack Special (2002) 1st App: Samurai Jack in comics)
Caliber Comics Presents #1 (1st App: The Crow)
New Gods #1 & 2. 1st App: Orion. Darkseid's son & early Darkseid appearance.
Special Marvel Edition #15 & 16 (1st & 2nd App: Shang-Chi)
A Marvel Comics Special #1 & 5 (Has all the members of the Band's real blood in the red ink) Make sure both books have there respective posters still attached. Not a cheap book now!
Lastly for now ...Akira #1 (first Akira & gang in comics outside Japan) This book will be hot hot hot if any director has the balls to bring him the the big screen, It's a little HTF!
edited by Gilgandra on 7/7/2017
edited by Gilgandra on 7/7/2017
edited by Gilgandra on 7/8/2017
0 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/7/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
Wow! Thank you friend. I really appreciate your insight into this world. I can't tell you how valuable it is for someone that's just getting started, but wants to get started right! Have a great weekend.

Nathan
+1 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

7/7/2017

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Gilgandra wrote:

Marvel Comics:

DC Comics:

Ok, before I think about adding my two cents, I gotta know Mr Blackwell smile, why the FF #252 ? Just for the Tattooz? Thanks
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/7/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
You answered your own question Mr Rixmaxx. As he said he's just starting to collect & that's a nice one to have also cheap as chips.
Oh! Try not to use my name again please. Just the avatar name is fine. I try not to unless a member is OK with it smile
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

7/7/2017

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Oh! OK, sorry, won't happen again smile (it's Mr. Schmidt btw) smile
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/7/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
No your right mate, No harm done! smile
Apart from this forum & a comment on YouTube once & awhile i'm virtually social media free Lol. I'm just too old school.
0 link
dav1
dav1

7/8/2017

dav1
dav1
good one is batman 404 - 407 batman year one story from frank miller
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

7/8/2017

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
You could try first works of some of the masters:

Just to name a few.....
Our Army at War #182 - Neal Adams first work at DC
Action Comics #356 - First superhero cover
Captain 3-D - First Steve Ditko superhero work
Spyman #1 - First Jim Steranko work
Strange Tales #151 - First work at Marvel
Nightmare #20 - First John Byrne
E-Man #6 - First John Byrne color comics work
Marvel Team-Up #53 - First Byrne work on X-Men
Uncanny X-Men starting with #108 - Some of the best X-Men books ever !

Find an artist you like and follow their progression.........

And Gilgandra's right, there are too many Amazing Spider-man books to list here, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. (that's why I have them all smile )
Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a must for any Batman fan!
And when you save up enough nickels, there's always some of the Holy Grails

Deadpool's - New Mutants #98
Wolverine's- Incredible Hulk #181
X-23's - NYX #3
0 link
nrm2492
nrm2492

7/8/2017

nrm2492
nrm2492
Thanks again guys for all of your help. Hope all of you have a great weekend!

Mr. Mitchell smile LOL
0 link