So, I am ready to liquidate portions of my collect Messages in this topic - RSS

Fleazz
Fleazz

3/14/2017

Fleazz
Fleazz
As indicated I am preparing to liquidate portions of my duplicate collection...

It has been in a time capsule for 30+ years. My issues from the 40's and 50's are spotty, but the sixties and the seventies are full and in amazing condition. I am moving forward slowly. Please don't tsunami me with questions about what I have, I do not want to play shark feeding frenzy. I am reaching out for friendly pearls of wisdom as I move forward. My collection is "raw", meaning that I have not CGC'ed yet. Though I must admit that my Silver Surfer #4 graded at ( 9.6) $4000.00 is motivating me to consider it. The Bulk of my collection is Silver Age. I was far to generous with the first group I toyed with to gain insight into the current market and get a feel for current collector behavior. Fortunately I am blessed to not be under any pressure to sell. I would rather sell to a genuine collector, a purest exclusively looking to acquire my books for their collection and not resell them for a profit.

Any suggestions ???

Regards,
Paul
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

3/14/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
My suggestion is to tease people with an introduction about your collection without really saying anything. Build it up like its really awesome so that collectors start letting the greed in their mind get the best of them. Whip out some unimpressive list in a few days and leave people perplexed afterwards. That's my suggestion.

Defiant1
+2 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

3/15/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
😀
0 link
Eggs7
Eggs7

3/15/2017

Eggs7
Eggs7
If you want to resell to collectors who will genuinely appreciate the comics you may not want to go the slab route, unless the cost difference is substantial (e.g. Silver Surfer #4). I guess I'm speaking more for myself and the collectors I interact with(online and irl) but the majority of us are not fond of slabbed comics for a variety of reasons. Again, though, if you have some that are going to be worth a mint it's probably worth slabbing. That, and if the comic is very brittle but valuable it would probably be a good idea to slab and protect it from further wear. Just my opinion.
+1 link
Khorgan42
Khorgan42

3/15/2017

Khorgan42
Khorgan42
If your collection is truly this nice, you may consider approaching metropolis to sell them at auction. You will have to pay a commission of course, but I think your books would go to homes of collectors, and not re-sellers. It would also remove some hassle for you, in that you would not necessarily need to have them "CPG certified" and encapsulated. I think grading set by Metropolis would be recognized and respected.
0 link
Fleazz
Fleazz

3/15/2017

Fleazz
Fleazz
Thank you for the suggestions. I prefer to keep my books raw, and those that I keep will be till death. But the dilemma that I am presented with is best exhibited by Silver Surfer #4 (9.6) raw = $2000.00. But then the very same issue books at $4000.00 slabbed.

Regards,
Paul
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/16/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
Khorgan42 wrote:
If your collection is truly this nice, you may consider approaching metropolis to sell them at auction. You will have to pay a commission of course, but I think your books would go to homes of collectors, and not re-sellers. It would also remove some hassle for you, in that you would not necessarily need to have them "CPG certified" and encapsulated. I think grading set by Metropolis would be recognized and respected.

Generally agree - if quality is there dealers will offer money for collection. Be aware they will offer wholesale prices - likely not more than 50% of guide value (what THEY determine as guide). They are buying to re-sell. They have employees to pay, rent, other overhead.

If you want to sell direct to collectors you might try taking some of collection to one day comic show. Suggest start small, reputable show. Attend one show before you commit. This is slow and take a good deal of work. ( A lot, lot, lot of work - I know).
Or take low value items to local Flea Market.

Alternate is eBay - this is also a lot of work. Sell through rate is small percentage. Way too many sellers and very few buyers.

Alternate is push here and other places on classified ads. This is easier but slow. See ads at CPG by Buttonman. Also check "comicsforsale.com"

Be wary of those dealers who offer to "travel anywhere" to make you an offer. Their expenses will be built into price.

I wish there was a better way to connect buyers and sellers - if you find a better way than I have listed, let me know - I'd go for it.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/16/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Just to counter the earlier notion that people who buy slabs are not collectors. That's horse crap. I know plenty of collectors who buy slabbed books and the older and more pricey the books are the more likely they will be looking to buy slabbed books because the worry of getting a restored book is basically eliminated and, when it comes to them or their heirs selling the books it makes the liquidation process much easier. Not to mention with CGC and CBCS you know what to expect for the various grades.

Of course the desire for books to go to a good home is always desireable but it is something you cannot ultimately guarantee.
edited by Oxbladder on 3/16/2017
+1 link
Eggs7
Eggs7

3/17/2017

Eggs7
Eggs7
No ones saying that collectors don't buy slabbed comics, just that some prefer not to. That's my experience.
+1 link
raztaman420
raztaman420

3/18/2017

raztaman420
raztaman420
I also think many collectors love buying slabbed books, they probably have the raw issues as well. As for getting them slabbed or not.....I don't think it's really worth it unless the silver age book is above 7.5. Sounds like you have a solid collection, condition-wise. I'd be interested in taking a look at my favorite titles, namely Daredevil, X-Men and ASM to name a few.
0 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

3/24/2017

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
You should contact mycomicshop.com and ask to speak to the owner, Buddy Saunders, about the different options they offer. I doubt you would want to sell the books directly to them, but they have consignment options with fees that get smaller percentage-wise as the sale price rises. In a nutshell, Buddy and you would make arrangements for you to send the books to
them to be graded. You'll have the opportunity to see the grades they are assigned, and then decide what you want to do with
each book. You can have any of the books returned to you then, and then assign what's left to their 2 consignment choices: A set price determined by you that appears with their inventory items (and on Ebay as a Buy It Now item), or their weekly auction. Commission is the same for both, I believe. After the books sell and are payed for by the buyer, they send the money to you, minus their cut, in a couple of days. I've sold both ways, and I prefer the auction because the selling prices seem to be a little higher. There isn't a reserve, but nothing I've put on their auction was ever in danger of selling too low.

I would love to see what you have, but I think we would end up pissing each other off instead of making any deals. Collectors
usually like to get highest quality for the least they have to pay, and it sounds like you want to make as close to market as you
can on every book you sell. Nothing wrong either way, but using mycomicshop.com takes feelings out of the equation. If your books are as nice as you say, that would pretty much ensure they end up with people who cherish them.
0 link
5fiddy
5fiddy

3/25/2017

5fiddy
5fiddy
Defiant1 wrote:
My suggestion is to tease people with an introduction about your collection without really saying anything. Build it up like its really awesome so that collectors start letting the greed in their mind get the best of them. Whip out some unimpressive list in a few days and leave people perplexed afterwards. That's my suggestion.

Defiant1

hehe
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

3/25/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
dmting wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Defiant1

hehe

0 link