So, I am ready to liquidate portions of my collect Messages in this topic - RSS

Fleazz
Fleazz

3/14/2017

Fleazz
Fleazz
As indicated I am preparing to liquidate portions of my duplicate collection...

It has been in a time capsule for 30+ years. My issues from the 40's and 50's are spotty, but the sixties and the seventies are full and in amazing condition. I am moving forward slowly. Please don't tsunami me with questions about what I have, I do not want to play shark feeding frenzy. I am reaching out for friendly pearls of wisdom as I move forward. My collection is "raw", meaning that I have not CGC'ed yet. Though I must admit that my Silver Surfer #4 graded at ( 9.6) $4000.00 is motivating me to consider it. The Bulk of my collection is Silver Age. I was far to generous with the first group I toyed with to gain insight into the current market and get a feel for current collector behavior. Fortunately I am blessed to not be under any pressure to sell. I would rather sell to a genuine collector, a purest exclusively looking to acquire my books for their collection and not resell them for a profit.

Any suggestions ???

Regards,
Paul
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

3/14/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
My suggestion is to tease people with an introduction about your collection without really saying anything. Build it up like its really awesome so that collectors start letting the greed in their mind get the best of them. Whip out some unimpressive list in a few days and leave people perplexed afterwards. That's my suggestion.

Defiant1
+2 link
Eggs7
Eggs7

3/15/2017

Eggs7
Eggs7
If you want to resell to collectors who will genuinely appreciate the comics you may not want to go the slab route, unless the cost difference is substantial (e.g. Silver Surfer #4). I guess I'm speaking more for myself and the collectors I interact with(online and irl) but the majority of us are not fond of slabbed comics for a variety of reasons. Again, though, if you have some that are going to be worth a mint it's probably worth slabbing. That, and if the comic is very brittle but valuable it would probably be a good idea to slab and protect it from further wear. Just my opinion.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/16/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Just to counter the earlier notion that people who buy slabs are not collectors. That's horse crap. I know plenty of collectors who buy slabbed books and the older and more pricey the books are the more likely they will be looking to buy slabbed books because the worry of getting a restored book is basically eliminated and, when it comes to them or their heirs selling the books it makes the liquidation process much easier. Not to mention with CGC and CBCS you know what to expect for the various grades.

Of course the desire for books to go to a good home is always desireable but it is something you cannot ultimately guarantee.
edited by Oxbladder on 3/16/2017
+1 link
Eggs7
Eggs7

3/17/2017

Eggs7
Eggs7
No ones saying that collectors don't buy slabbed comics, just that some prefer not to. That's my experience.
+1 link