What If...? Messages in this topic - RSS

glorkar
glorkar

9/26/2021

glorkar
glorkar
Sooooo, who's watching it? What are your thoughts? Do you have a favorite episode?

I'm gonna be honest. I can't remember specifics from a lot of the episodes without looking into it.
I don't know. They were all okay, but none of them were great? Like, I don't regret watching them, but I'm truly not going to remember any of them in a month or so.

The first episode with Peggy as a super soldier was probably my favorite, if I had to pick one. Not sure why. Maybe because I have a soft spot for female protagonists.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

9/26/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
glorkar wrote:
Sooooo, who's watching it? What are your thoughts? Do you have a favorite episode?

I'm gonna be honest. I can't remember specifics from a lot of the episodes without looking into it.
I don't know. They were all okay, but none of them were great? Like, I don't regret watching them, but I'm truly not going to remember any of them in a month or so.

The first episode with Peggy as a super soldier was probably my favorite, if I had to pick one. Not sure why. Maybe because I have a soft spot for female protagonists.

I watched the first episode, a few minutes of the second episode, and the episode with Dr. Strange & his girlfriend.

The first one didn't appeal to me at all. It bored me. The second one bored me so I quit watching. I had high hopes for the Dr. Strange episode, but it was just really stupid.

I do not plan on watching anymore.

The Dr. Strange episode made no sense to me because it conflicted with the events in the movie, yet the cartoon made it appear that the events in the movie were impossible.

I just felt that all of it was really poor writing. I feel that the animation is overly cliche with exaggerated expressions and reactions.

The only thing I liked about any of them is that they got some of the actual actors to do the voice work on many characters. Everything else was forgettable.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

9/26/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
I'm enjoying them.
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/27/2021

glorkar
glorkar
Defiant1 wrote:

The Dr. Strange episode made no sense to me because it conflicted with the events in the movie, yet the cartoon made it appear that the events in the movie were impossible.

I just felt that all of it was really poor writing. I feel that the animation is overly cliche with exaggerated expressions and reactions.

The only thing I liked about any of them is that they got some of the actual actors to do the voice work on many characters. Everything else was forgettable.

Being different than the movies is the whole point of the series.
In the Dr. Strange episode, the whole premise is What If instead of becoming a cripple, he lost the love of his life?
Instead of spending his life trying to get his old life back, he spends it trying to simply bring her back to life.
It's that driving force that takes him down a dark path while he tries to change the unchangeable.

That's what the multiverse is all about. One small change can have a drastic impact on the outcome of everything else.
+2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

9/28/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
glorkar wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Being different than the movies is the whole point of the series.
In the Dr. Strange episode, the whole premise is What If instead of becoming a cripple, he lost the love of his life?
Instead of spending his life trying to get his old life back, he spends it trying to simply bring her back to life.
It's that driving force that takes him down a dark path while he tries to change the unchangeable.

That's what the multiverse is all about. One small change can have a drastic impact on the outcome of everything else.

I fully understand the premise. I understand the concept of string theory and M-Theory which would make infinite universes possible.

The cartoon ~should~ be an alternate timeline from the one depicted in the movie. Yet in the cartoon, the movie timeline is not even possible.
It's "What if he lost the love of his life?" AND it was impossible to diverge in any other direction. It's two "what if" scenarios.

What joy should I be getting from a cartoon about a man losing the person loves the most? I don't see that as an entertaining plot.
Maybe it's too close to home since the girl I wanted to marry died in a car wreck 30 years ago.

The premise loses me.

The story is sadistic. The lesson learned is child-like. It's not what I want from a "What if?" television show. None of the episodes have been what I want.

I'm glad you like it.. The effort they spent making it wasn't done in vain.

Overall, I haven't found any of the Marvel Studios shows on Disney+ that entertaining. If I was paying for the service I would cancel it.

I've seen everything free. WandaVision was horrid, but Loki ended up being worse. The only thing close to being worthwhile was Falcon & the Winter Soldier.

I really don't care about Hawkeye as a character, so I don't have any bottled up anticipation hoping for it to show up.

I feel like everything has creatively imploded at Marvel Studios.
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/28/2021

glorkar
glorkar
I can see your point with the Dr Strange story. You're right in that even though the tragedy was different, he still became a sorcerer. No matter what happened to him, he was always destined to become what he did.

I felt the same sort of "meh" towards the Star Lord / T'Challa episode. It just seems unlikely to me that some smooth talking rich kid would be able to 'set straight' a bunch of murderous thugs right from the start of their time together.

And I'm kind of with you on all of the shows not being spectacular. Each one had it's moments, but overall they were just filler while I'm waiting for movies to come out.
Honestly, my favorite Marvel TV show is still Agents of Shield. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but that seems pretty typical for the stuff I enjoy most.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

9/30/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
glorkar wrote:
I can see your point with the Dr Strange story. You're right in that even though the tragedy was different, he still became a sorcerer. No matter what happened to him, he was always destined to become what he did.

I felt the same sort of "meh" towards the Star Lord / T'Challa episode. It just seems unlikely to me that some smooth talking rich kid would be able to 'set straight' a bunch of murderous thugs right from the start of their time together.

And I'm kind of with you on all of the shows not being spectacular. Each one had it's moments, but overall they were just filler while I'm waiting for movies to come out.

Honestly, my favorite Marvel TV show is still Agents of Shield. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but that seems pretty typical for the stuff I enjoy most.

I know Agents of Shield got better, but it started off so poorly that I lost interest very early. I watched the season with Ghost Rider and I enjoyed that. I think that was followed with a season featuring the Kree. They lost me again. Youtube has Absorbing Man video clips from the show. I'd have enjoyed that most likely, but the inconsistency of the show was too much. I was either very interested, or completely bored. When one episode got boring, it was followed by 4 more boring episodes. I'd rather just watch the old B&W Superman TV series. It was enjoyable and simple. Most of all, it was very consistent.
0 link