glennsim

all messages by user

9/12/2016
Topic:
Amazing Spider-Man 30th Anniversary Poster Magazin

glennsim
glennsim
Anyone happen to know if/where this one is?
9/12/2016
Topic:
Viewing a list of my most valuable comics

glennsim
glennsim
I've been poking around, but I can't find any way to see my collection in order of current value, or a way to export in a way that could be sorted. Like if I wanted to take additional steps to protect my most valuable comics. Is there any way to do this?
9/13/2016
Topic:

glennsim
glennsim
I looked at that, but the spreadsheet puts the series/title on a different line from the number and value. So if I sorted it, I might know that #1 of some series was the most valuable, but I wouldn't know what series smile.
edited by glennsim on 9/13/2016
9/13/2016
Topic:

glennsim
glennsim
Well, I figured out a really crappy workaround, but just in case someone else is interested:

1. Go to your collection, where it is divided by publisher. You will have to do this separately for each publisher, or possibly copy together all of the separate spreadsheets.
2. Click on Raw to generate the download.
3. Retrieve your Excel file, open in Excel.
3.5 You may have to copy all of the data to a new sheet without formatting, to get rid of merged cells before trying to sort.
4. Add a new column down the left side. Use the Fill > Series function to number all of the rows 1 to whatever going down.
5. Now sort the columns by what should now be the "G" column, that has the individual issue values in it. Descending, if you want the highest ones at the top.
6. You may have to scroll down but you'll eventually find the highest dollar figures starting, and then they go downward.
7. For the books you are interested in, change the font color of the value field (or any number of fields on that row).
8. Go back and resort the entire list based on that first column, descending. This puts everything back in the original order.
9. Now you can scroll through and look for the items with the different font color.

3.75 (Optional) create all of your individual spreadsheets and copy paste them all into one, with each one below the other, where the fields all line up. This lets you get information from more than one publisher into one sort.

7.5 (Optional) Add a new field on the right side where you do another fill from 1 to whatever for the items that have dollar figures. Then, when you are finished, you will have a ranking of each book for its value in the collection.

CPG - if you could just do a version of the spreadsheet that repeats the title on each line, that would make this much much easier.
9/14/2016
Topic:
Adding a run of annuals

glennsim
glennsim
I just figured out that if I am looking at, say, the Annuals for Amazing Spider-Man, and I put in like 15-22 and Add Run, it actually adds #15-22 of the main series, not the Annuals, even though they are what are on the screen. Is there some way to enter the numbers for Annuals so that the Add Run function knows what I mean?
9/16/2016
Topic:
Confessions of a Cereal Eater 2

glennsim
glennsim
So I have a book that is different from the one you have listed

Title: Confessions of a Cereal Eater
Missing Issues: 2
Publisher: NBM
Publication Years: 2003
Cover Price: $17.95

Here's a listing for the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Cereal-Eater-Rob-Maisch/dp/1561631418

The book itself does not list a number, but the review here says this is the "second volume" so I am calling this #2 in the existing series. Or you could call it Volume 2.

I also know this is a different book (not just a variant) of the existing book because the art credits on the cover of mine and the one you already have are different.

I have posted a cover scan here: http://s32.photobucket.com/user/glennsimpson/media/img003_zpspyyxlkjg.jpg.html
9/24/2016
Topic:
Giant-Size Spider-Man #1 (July, 2014)

glennsim
glennsim
OK, so I was trying to add this same title, and I can click on the link two messages up and it takes me to the issue, and I can mark that I own it, but then when I go back to my collection it doesn't show up? What's up with that?
9/25/2016
Topic:
Giant-Size Spider-Man #1 (July, 2014)

glennsim
glennsim
I got it now. When I use the link, it looks like I have landed on a series actually called "Amazing Spider-Man Giant-Size" so I thought it was its own series. I couldn't tell that it was a "sub-tab" of Amazing v3. Thanks!
edited by glennsim on 9/25/2016
11/14/2016
Topic:
Definition of "wear" on cover

glennsim
glennsim
Hey, rookie here. I have a question. I have quite a few comics from the 80's or so where if you just hold the comic in front of your face, it all looks good - corners are good, not much in the way of creases or tears. And the surface still has a glossy look. However, under more direct light, you can see lots of, well, "bumps and dents" - things that don't break color in any way but are there from handling over time. Like over time various heavy items per put on the comic and so it made light indentions, kinda sorta. How does this figure into grading? Like when the grading guide refers to "surface wear" is this what they mean? "Wear" kinda suggests that something has been "worn away" but maybe I'm reading it wrong?
12/12/2016
Topic:
Ad pages removed

glennsim
glennsim
I've got 2-3 comics where the book looks great, probably like VF or better, but someone went in and removed all of the ad pages that didn't have story pages attached. I'm giving these a 1.0 - is that too harsh?
12/13/2016
Topic:
Ad pages removed

glennsim
glennsim
The worst part is, I'm pretty sure I bought them as "VF" or whatever. Not sure if the seller knew - it's hard to tell when they are bagged and boarded. I wish I'd made more of a stink at the time.
1/11/2017
Topic:
Best of DC digest (and other digests)

glennsim
glennsim
Because these are squarebound with cardstock covers, you pretty much can't open the cover without creating a crease down the front and/or back. Are the grading criteria more forgiving for creases on these than for regular comics?
1/22/2017
Topic:
digital code-covering stickers

glennsim
glennsim
I assume the removal of the sticker that covers up the digital code is not considered a flaw? Or at least doesn't take it below 9.4?
2/7/2017
Topic:
Captain Canuck First Summer Special

glennsim
glennsim
I can't find this anywhere.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=434221
2/7/2017
Topic:
Captain Canuck First Summer Special

glennsim
glennsim
Gah - the matter of remembering to change the target country gets me every time. Thanks.
4/9/2017
Topic:
Wizard 1/2 issues

glennsim
glennsim
I can't find where these are in the system.

For example, Teen Titans 1/2

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=526931
4/10/2017
Topic:
Wizard 1/2 issues

glennsim
glennsim
Maybe it depends on the browser. I am specifically looking for X-Men 1/2 and Fantastic Four 1/2.
4/10/2017
Topic:
Wizard 1/2 issues

glennsim
glennsim
I think the fact that they show up LAST is why I was having so much trouble. Would have preferred they did a "1A" sort of thing like they do with other stuff sometimes. Thanks for the help, everyone.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Grimm Fairy Tales Free Comic Book Day 2017

glennsim
glennsim
Where is this in the database?

And why can't these all just be entered based on the indicia title?

And why do some of them have "1 free" listed in the title of the comic, when that is clearly a reference to the number and price of the comic?
6/30/2017
Topic:
Supergirl (current series) #10

glennsim
glennsim
For some reason Supergirl takes forever to get added each month?