bill.keene

all messages by user

12/9/2016
Topic:
Direct Edition vs Newsstand Edition

bill.keene
bill.keene
Morning!

Been a comic collector for years and using CPG for a couple of years now. Very excitedly i'm a 6 lol!

I have always collected Direct Edition and Newsstand edition comics as separate variants - this seems to be quite logical to me but apparently not to others as it has been quite a topic discussion over the years. Indeed CPG has always taken the view that these different editions are not variants, and they are not tracked as such in the database. So today I am adding some new comics and have come across something new to me - a comic that has a different PRICE for the newsstand edition (Avengers Academy 2012 #32). Newsstand is $3.99 whereas Direct is $2.99.

Now I haven't come across this before, although to be fair I only recently started collecting the newer comics.

So here is my question - is it time to reopen the discussion about Direct vs Newsstand as separate variants? While I am perfectly happy logging both comics in the database with notes to cover the differences, if the price is going to be different then that affects the general comic info on the main page.

And God Forbid someone would flag me to the Admins as entering INCORRECT DATA into the database. Because no-one would ever do that... right? ;-)

What d'y'all think?
1/19/2017
Topic:
Dup Iron Man Variant Cover?

bill.keene
bill.keene
Title: Iron Man (Vol 2)
Issue: #1 (variant cover)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Publication Years: 1996-1997
Cover Price: $2.95

Can someone explain the difference to me between variant cover #1A (Gold signature edition) and variant cover #1B (Alternate Cover - Hulk in background)? The image posted looks identical.

Perhaps this is a duplicate, or maybe the wrong image has been uploaded for one of them.

(I've attached a scan of the one I have)

Thanks
1/18/2018
Topic:
Fantastic Four #394 variant mix-up

bill.keene
bill.keene
Title: Fantastic Four (vol1)
Issue: 394
Publisher: Marvel

Looks like there's an over complication in the database on this comic. There are 3 comics listed (standard plus 2 variants) but I believe there should only be 2.

394 - this looks like the polybag version without the polybag

394A - This looks like the regular edition. Confusingly the text says Newsstand Edition but the image is of a Direct Edition*

394B - This is correctly identified as the polybag edition

394 need to go, 394A need to become 394 (but can lose the misleading edition note) and 394B should become 394A

Thanks!

Bill

*see my previous post about Direct vs Newsstand Editions