Raw Valus vs Graded Value Messages in this topic - RSS

myriambouchard
myriambouchard

4/4/2017

myriambouchard
myriambouchard
Hi everyone!
I am new on the site, and i am trying to get familiar with it. I have a lot of comic book from the 90's (all almost mint) and I am trying to find out how much they woth if I want to sell it. Wich value should I care, the raw value or the graded value?
Thanks a lot for your answers wink
Myriam
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

4/4/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Raw = The comic itself. Just like you buy at a Comic Store.

Graded = This really means "Professionally Graded". You take that comic, send it to a company that has its workers (professional Graders) examine and grade the comic with a grade between 0.1 and 10.0. The comic is then encased in a hard plastic shell with the information (including the grade) on a label on that case. The case cannot be open without damaging it, rendering the whole point of it having a grade as null and void since someone could switch out that comic for a lower grade and try to cheat someone.

Here's a site that does grading: https://www.cbcscomics.com/

NOTE: Most 90s comics aren't worth much. There's a few "Key" issues that are, like the 1st appearance of Deadpool... 1st appearance of Cable... 1st appearance of Harley Quinn... Preacher #1... etc.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/4/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
If you are not familiar with comic grading, I am quite sure that your comics are not mint. You can go to 10 comic stores and look at every comic put on the shelf the day they come out (before anyone has bought one off the shelf) and they won't be considered mint.
+1 link
myriambouchard
myriambouchard

4/4/2017

myriambouchard
myriambouchard
Thank you very much for your answer and the link! wink
Myriam
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

4/4/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Defiant1 wrote:
If you are not familiar with comic grading, I am quite sure that your comics are not mint. You can go to 10 comic stores and look at every comic put on the shelf the day they come out (before anyone has bought one off the shelf) and they won't be considered mint.

Totally agree.
Extremely rare for any comic or mag to be classified as MINT (9.9) or GEM MINT (10.0).
One should not grade above NEAR MINT (9.4) for the bulk of there collection unless you are experienced in handling them.
I know i have books above that grade (9.4), not many but it took me years to work that out Lol.
+1 link