Who's Your Favorite Cover Artist? Messages in this topic - RSS

sclingerman
sclingerman

2/17/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
I'm more fond of realistic-looking art, not like Sam Keith. Joe Jusko is my definite favorite. Probably closely followed by Alex Ross.
Here's my favorite of Jusko's...
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/17/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Nice, Jusko is fantastic. One of my favorite book that he worked on, cover and all interior painted artwork was Tomb Raider, the Greatest Treasure of All. Ok writing but the art is perfectly done by Jusko. A few month back a auction site had over 4 pages from the book but way out of my budget.
My first thought was Alex Ross, enjoy most of his work but times his covers have lots of things going on that sometimes losses me. Kinda like some of George Perez's covers, with lots of characters on the cover.
One choice would be Steranko. Of course Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD covers by him rank high for me but his few covers for X-Men shine also.
I like Jim Lee's art but many of his covers the characters all have the same poise, Superman and Batman covers seemed recycled. How many covers of Batman he did have him looking on a edge of a building?
Alex Ross and Steranko I guess are tops for me.
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 2/17/2017
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/17/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Yep! Jim Steranko is cool. Nick Fury, Agent of Shield #6 is memorable. Ka-Zar #34 (1981) is a nice homage to that cover. I haven't got that one yet.
Jack Kirby is a given & so is Steve Dikto.
But for me as always is Frank Frazetta. I only own one book of his is Eerie Magazine #2.
Plus other Magazines that reprint he's covers.
One day i'd like to get an original cover of his. Robbie has one that a favorite of many collectors.
edited by Gilgandra on 2/17/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/17/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I don't have a favorite, but I like any cover that is well done and rendered without a cartoon style of art. It doesn't have to be photo-realistic. I like Jusko's and Alex Ross paintings, but sometimes something small will set it off and I'll like it a lot.

Some covers I like a lot:

Epic Illustrated #6 - I like the elaboarate tentacles.

Psychoanalysis #3 - I like the eyes

Shock Suspenstories # 16 - I like the use of light & shadow

War Dancer #1 - The orange clouds

I liked it enough to buy the color art:

I'm sure there are countless others I like.

Defiant1
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/22/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
I should've mentioned Frank Frazetta in my post. Joe Jusko's my favorite living artist after Frazetta died.
I'll probably take flak for this, but I never liked the mouths and body poses of some of Jack Kirby's work. I was reading an old Machine Man recently, and all the soldiers in this full-page panel had the same face. By contrast, in an old Ditko comic, every face in the background crowd was different.

That Shock Suspenstories # 16 is ART. Not a drawing, but ART! You're right about the lighting, shading, shadows.
+1 link
lealew7
lealew7

2/22/2017

lealew7
lealew7
I am a big fan of Steven Hughes, but it is unfortunate that not only does Chaos! comics no longer exist, it is sad to know that such an amazing artist passed away so early. I will keep rockin' your comics and art MR.HUGHES for ever!!
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/23/2017

Robbie
Robbie
sclingerman wrote:
I should've mentioned Frank Frazetta in my post. Joe Jusko's my favorite living artist after Frazetta died.
I'll probably take flak for this, but I never liked the mouths and body poses of some of Jack Kirby's work. I was reading an old Machine Man recently, and all the soldiers in this full-page panel had the same face. By contrast, in an old Ditko comic, every face in the background crowd was different.

That Shock Suspenstories # 16 is ART. Not a drawing, but ART! You're right about the lighting, shading, shadows.

Did anyone mention Dave Dorman?
(I would like some Jusko art. )
Late 70s isn't Kirby's best work. And he gets bonus points for the sheer volume of work.
Recent Ditko covers aren't awesome. They should probably count as Underground Comics because he's working so hard at keeping them out of mainstream outlets.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/23/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Robbie wrote:
sclingerman wrote:

Late 70s isn't Kirby's best work. And he gets bonus points for the sheer volume of work.
Recent Ditko covers aren't awesome. They should probably count as Underground Comics because he's working so hard at keeping them out of mainstream outlets.

Robbie could you please show the most legendary issue of Weird Science-Fantasy #29 that you have. (Yes i know, you have 2 copies, Only awesome people have that many smile )
I'll re-post the poster i have of it as a reference later.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/24/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sclingerman wrote:

Robbie could you please show the most legendary issue of Weird Science-Fantasy #29 that you have. (Yes i know, you have 2 copies, Only awesome people have that many smile )
I'll re-post the poster i have of it as a reference later.

It is one of the best pre-code Frazetta covers.

+2 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/24/2017

Robbie
Robbie
This Wally Wood cover is near the top of my favorites list.

It was the first EC I bought.
+1 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/24/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Joe Maneely did some great covers in the 50s

+1 link
DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos

3/7/2017

DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos
I have been a fan of newer stuff Jim Lee is one of my fave and a lot of the older Gen 13 art also
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

4/26/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Joe Jusko has done an exclusive cover for a reprint of G.I. Joe #21 (the silent issue) coming out next month.

It's only available through 1st Print Comics (https://www.facebook.com/1st-Print-Comics-120209043578/).
They WILL be taking my money!
0 link
ComicJoeSuper
ComicJoeSuper

5/2/2017

ComicJoeSuper
ComicJoeSuper
Ghastly Graham Ingels! (Huge EC fan here).
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/2/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I really like Nick Cardy covers.
0 link
psmart
psmart

5/13/2017

psmart
psmart
Alex Ross
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

5/15/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
psmart wrote:
Alex Ross

He IS awesome. The shop I go to has a BEAUTIFUL The Shadow #1 (Dynamite) variant.
It's vol1 #1H on here... the "Alex Ross Sketch Variant Cover. Limited 1 for 225. Covers vary."
0 link