need good laugh? went to comic store on vacation. Messages in this topic - RSS

KAPPA212
KAPPA212

2/15/2017

KAPPA212
KAPPA212
So i was on vacation down florida with the family and i go to Colosseum comics in orlando, and they have huge wall lots back issues comics which i my self collect a lot of, and i seen it right there before my eyes Civil War issue 1 !!!,,,mind you i have two copies of it but when i see the price tag i almost died on vacation, why? because they had a price tag of $60!!! mind you this book can be found ebay $10, so i asked the girl behind the counter " excuse me mam is that really the price?" shes states " oh yah its very hot comic and super rare to find now its only gonna get higher"... now i am sitting here thinking to my self what real comicbook collector could possibly fall for this! i think we should all take our civil war issues head on down there see if they are willing to buy them lol. there were more over priced comics here at least another $20-$40 tac onto over street price. but all in all i hope this made someone laugh. only comic i found that was decent price really was Wolverine #88. Has anyone ever experienced over price shop?
edited by Kappa212 on 2/15/2017
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/15/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
The was a comic store where I live (it closed a few years ago) that I think must've priced a bunch of comics in the speculator era, and never changed them by 2007. Examples: X-Men #300 for $20. One of the "Funeral For A Friend" issues for $8. The "Death of Superman" black bag issue (not platinum) for $40. A lot of comics priced for $4 that sell for $1 at other places.
I personally liked the owner, but he was really out of touch with the times and didn't know much about newer comics (he was in his 60s and had been in the business since the late 70s).

There's a place where I live that's currently open that has all recent issues from the past 20 years at Cover Price + 50 cents (unless a Key). I figure that's just laziness. I've only been there once. These sell for less than cover elsewhere.

I've got a shop here (Rochester NY) that I stay with because they're honest, low-priced (you can get 30% off cover for new stuff), and their motto is "If you don't leave happy, we probably didn't do our job.". They treat their customers right. I only go elsewhere if they tell me they'll never get a certain recent issue in (Distributer's fault), or if it's a Silver or Golden they never see.
+1 link
KAPPA212
KAPPA212

2/15/2017

KAPPA212
KAPPA212
yah theres a shop here in maryland that i love go to own by mom n pop and i tell ya they do amazing job very cheap been open 25 years they do new issues and lots back issues they even do random treasure hunt stick a nice expensive comic in the $1 box each week see which lucky person finds it, which is pretty awesome! but the guy in florida own 3 stores i think and just crazy how way over charged he is, now i love checking out different comic stores each state i pass through cause you just NEVER know what you might find which the HUNT is always fun for me especially looking flea markets stuff like that but when i seen Civil war Issues 1 for $60 like come on sure your in tourist area but why even dare try rip people off
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/21/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Stores are free to charge what they feel the local market will pay. You don't like it don't buy it. I have seen lots of people trying to rip off people on eBay as well. I went to a recent local show and lots of people were over grading and over-charging for books. they were trying to get online prices. Yes, there are unscrupulous dealers out there but it really sickens me how many people bust the chops of brick and mortars considering the vast majority of the books on the market now had their introduction onto the market from just such stores. The shop owner I buy from gets all sorts of jack-asses in trying to get a deal just so they can turn around and flip the book on eBay. Hell, I have heard lots of people talk here how they ripped off dealers of their asking price.

/rant
+3 link
expander
expander

5/20/2017

expander
expander
+1 @ox.

let your dollar do the talkin' and if you don't like the price let your feet do the walkin'.

My lcs could do better on prices, (but he has to pay rent so..) i'll never complain about what i pay cause he's a super cool down to earth guy who cuts me deals and lets my pull box pile up when i'm low on spening cash. He also participates in FCBD so I take my kids with me as often as possible. he has these plastic totes full of open toys he lets them pic one out when i bring them in and he lets me know if somethings coming out that he thinks i may like and his opinions are honest and i trust his word on trading as well he also has a very small store and not enough help to manage it all. Every one gets a little sticker shock now and then and it's natural to want to point it out. but If you have access to a good LCS, please support them like crazy. I lived in a town that had no comic stores (the closest thing to it was a single spinner rack at the waldenbooks in the mall) and nothing was ever anywhere near 9.0 by the time they were done manhandling the comics. ongoing issues were hit and miss as far as whether they were even in stock and it was a pain in the rear to go to the mall and fight for parking and so on.......

Thanks for the chuckle, (oh I did get a laugh) and hope there's better prices for you at home. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. I could use one myself.
+2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/21/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
The real factor is they are paying thousands in rent & overhead and they have to sell a lot of comics to make that back and turn a profit. A book may be popular and they have no means to replace it because they are stuck running their store everyday. It makes no sense to sell out at $10 and only have $1 comics for sale on the wall. At least you asked about the comic and the price. I rarely see anything in our local shops that interest me enough to ask. People used to come into the shops and sell their collections. It still happens, but not as often. People give it a shot on eBay first and their best stuff is gone by the time they walk into the store. I don't think it's funny. To me it's sad like walking through a nursing home and seeing people that smell of urine. Why don't they clean themselves up and do better? It really depends upon how far gone they are. If the shop was really making money on everything else, they wouldn't be trying to gouge people on the stuff they do.
edited by Defiant1 on 5/21/2017
+1 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

5/22/2017

colbalt91
colbalt91
Here's something funny that happened at a Half Price bookstore about a year ago. Their main Comic Book Guy came out with a cart of comics to put out and he saw me going through the clearance comics which I always do first and I could tell I put him at unease. He started putting some comics out and I was really finished going thru the clearance comics, but I sort of patiently pretended I was still looking while I was waiting for him to put out all the books. He put out some and then took the cart back. I think he was going to go over them more carefully and then bring some out later on. So I looked at what he'd put out and he had put out a bunch of early Gotham City Sirens and I bought some of the more important issues and left the store a few, because I did not want to seem too greedy. Then I went to the sales counter to purchase them and he came back out to help at the registers and before he left he glanced over to see what I was buying and he said, "There goes all my Gotham City Sirens did you leave me any?" And I said, yes, there are still some there. He knows that I always know what the hot comics are, so I figured it was no use coming back anytime too soon because he would certainly go over the comic books he had in his cart again. Since the store is really out of my way I have been careless not checking it lately,but I do not think he is there anymore. If so then perhaps I had better start making more frequent visits as it usually takes a new person a while to figure out what is actually happening for the current modern market.
I personally liked the guy and we were friendly. I can't blame him for trying to look out for the store as best he could.
edited by colbalt91 on 5/22/2017
+1 link
Megatran217
Megatran217

8/12/2017

Megatran217
Megatran217
If you were in the tourist area, then I used to live walking distance from that Coliseum shop. I will admit, that they do overcharge for some books, but if you are patient, you can find good deals there, i.e. $8 for Batman 635. However, due to the fact that there's such a high volume store, the tourist flock there and ready to spend, so they end up selling some of those overpriced wall books.

KAPPA212 wrote:
So i was on vacation down florida with the family and i go to Colosseum comics in orlando, and they have huge wall lots back issues comics which i my self collect a lot of, and i seen it right there before my eyes Civil War issue 1 !!!,,,mind you i have two copies of it but when i see the price tag i almost died on vacation, why? because they had a price tag of $60!!! mind you this book can be found ebay $10, so i asked the girl behind the counter " excuse me mam is that really the price?" shes states " oh yah its very hot comic and super rare to find now its only gonna get higher"... now i am sitting here thinking to my self what real comicbook collector could possibly fall for this! i think we should all take our civil war issues head on down there see if they are willing to buy them lol. there were more over priced comics here at least another $20-$40 tac onto over street price. but all in all i hope this made someone laugh. only comic i found that was decent price really was Wolverine #88. Has anyone ever experienced over price shop?
edited by Kappa212 on 2/15/2017
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

8/13/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
My closest LCS was really different compared to my old shops in Chicago that I was use to. After moving to South Carolina I found one store that was close, 45 miles from home. Really nice looking store, selling comics but lots of collectables also.
When I started going there they had a HUGE dollar book area that basically was books printed from 80's to current which covered 80 percent of the store. Then they had a small area of books from the 60's to early 80's on sale. Cool I thought but looking at those books the price was well over guide, no matter what grade the book was in. Looking closer most books that looked in very good condition were listed as if they were very fine. Most were priced that way. Big turn off. Stopped going there after a year, eBay buying filled my needs.
Went back last year when I was close to store and they were in a new building. All the dollar books were gone. What remained was boxes and all books had had three prices. $3, $5, and $10. Then they had a small area of silver and bronze books all low grade for sale, around 10 long boxes of those. Then they had all the books you would really want in a closed area called THE VAULT. The vault was only open about once a month, and if it wasn't opened and asked to look, they wouldn't let you look. They are now closed.
0 link
DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos

8/15/2017

DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos
sad to see this while I get they got bills to pay but man .I seen so many stores close in the years ,mine is a good shop while some stuff is a tad over like the other post i don't fight it cause he is one of the 3 stores in the area and has the best stock
but he gives me deals and hold stuff for me
0 link