X-Men Messages in this topic - RSS

jrebisz
jrebisz

2/13/2017

jrebisz
jrebisz
I have a Marvel comic, 1966, that says "the X-Men", volume 1, #18.
I can't find it in the price guide.
Can anybody tell me what to look under?
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/13/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Try this link below. I used the search using the word X-Men, then typed in 18 in the issue number area, then scrolled done and BAM!!! There it was!

Hope this helps you.

http://comicspriceguide.com/collection/marvel/uncanny-x-men/18/ukwrm
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 2/13/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/13/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
The problem is that the series changed names around #142. The guide lists it under Uncanny X-Men even though the correct name for issue #18 does not include the word "Uncanny".

Defiant1
edited by Defiant1 on 2/13/2017
+2 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/14/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Defiant1 wrote:
The problem is that the series changed names around #142. The guide lists it under Uncanny X-Men even though the correct name for issue #18 does not include the word "Uncanny".

Defiant1
edited by Defiant1 on 2/13/2017

X-Men changed to Uncanny X-Men on issue 114, in October 1978. But as you said, looking at the indicia it did take till issue 142, in February 1981, for Marvel to change the indicia to UNCANNY X-MEN.
Looking up a issue for X-Men or Uncanny X-Men really doesn't take much time finding the issue you are looking for. If I can find it in less than 2 minutes...anyone can, I'm slow and a simpleton. You just need to take more than one try to find it sometimes. Have no luck, Gil will find it, the man can find almost anything here.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/14/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
When storing my comics, I do keep them together. When officially listing them, I like the indicia to be the law and I prefer... yes prefer... that they be listed by official name. I can find things by modifying my searches, but it sends mixed signals to the new collectors to say "look at the indicia" in one post and "ignore the indicia" in another. This harkens back to my days as a kid and I didn't know there was a difference between "Marvel Tales" (featuring Amazing Spiderman reprints) and the actual series "Amazing Spiderman". To complicate things further, my first X-Men comic was #78 that was a reprint and those comics like to show the cover of the issue they were reprinting inside the comic. Going by the indicia became a big deal to me and I never had a problem figuring out what went together when storing them. The guide can list them however they want. When I list them, I only go by the indicia.
edited by Defiant1 on 2/14/2017
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/14/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
True and yes I agree with you. I will say some new and even a small amount of old collectors don't know about the indicia, I can understand that, it took me a book that the cover title and the indicia being different to understand the importance of the indicia.
By saying look at the indicia hopefully a poster will find what a indicia is and use it. Confusing someone is not what I was trying for. Saying use the indicia will get results if not don't use by "modifying" your search, like you do, can get results.
Try yourself to look up the issue the original post ask to find. Did you have a problem finding it? I doubt it. People that don't take a short time to find a book, instead of hoping for a instant find, they give up to easily. I will say at times on this site you search for a book and zero finds come up. That happens.
Collectors like you have a wealth of knowledge for everyone that come to this forum to learn from. I just tried to help, that is all. From all of your posts I know I'm less than you in collecting and knowledge but I try. I'll keep coming back to learn from people like you.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/14/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Xmen 18 link.

http://comicspriceguide.com/collection/marvel/uncanny-x-men/18/ukwrm
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/16/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
True and yes I agree with you. I will say some new and even a small amount of old collectors don't know about the indicia, I can understand that, it took me a book that the cover title and the indicia being different to understand the importance of the indicia.
By saying look at the indicia hopefully a poster will find what a indicia is and use it. Confusing someone is not what I was trying for. Saying use the indicia will get results if not don't use by "modifying" your search, like you do, can get results.
Try yourself to look up the issue the original post ask to find. Did you have a problem finding it? I doubt it. People that don't take a short time to find a book, instead of hoping for a instant find, they give up to easily. I will say at times on this site you search for a book and zero finds come up. That happens.
Collectors like you have a wealth of knowledge for everyone that come to this forum to learn from. I just tried to help, that is all. From all of your posts I know I'm less than you in collecting and knowledge but I try. I'll keep coming back to learn from people like you.

Less than me in collecting and knowledge? I seriously doubt that. Your knowledge is probably more specialized in other areas. I've been at this a long time, but I'm all ears when I'm hanging around people who know stuff that I don't know.
I tell people that I know a little of everything and a lot of nothing. Amassing more and more comics that take up more and more space has less appeal to me now. I spend more time collecting info and I'd be better classified as a novice comics historian. Last year I was confusing Star Lord & Star Hawk. Much of my comics knowledge is dissolving away as I get older. You are welcome to question anything I say. You are welcome to disagree. You are welcome to take pride in anything you own and feel no shame. The most valuable comics I own are the ones I bought as a 9 year old and wrote my name on them. The covers are falling off because I read them repeatedly. The key silver age books that I acquired years later are nice to own, but the ones that inspired me to collect comics at age 9 are priceless.
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/16/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
😀. Thank you. Talking about age and losing information known in years before, man I'm there! Not too old but old enough, 51, I find myself looking up more and more stuff on google, price guides and other publications for things I swear I knew but can't remember.
I'm somewhat lucky that my daughter and her longtime boyfriend collect comics and share knowledge with me or correct what I thought is true. I had a stroke in 2015 and my mind doesn't work as it did before the stroke. Some thoughts get mixed with other thoughts and I get lost. Speaking and writing is trying at times but luckily I have a good sense of humor. Thank gosh for dictionaries and family helping me
Agree that the books we grew up with in early years of collecting are priceless. I have boxes of those and read some of them every few years. When I had the stroke and had problems reading, Robbie that posts here told me to read more comics or any book to help me out. So I reread the 1990's X-Men series.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/16/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
We are close in age. There is no dignity in getting older. The thing about medical problems is that everyone has them. People don't know that James Earl Jones was a chronic stutterer. He overcame it by singing his words because singing is done in a different portion of the brain. People don't know that Bugs Bunny brought Mel Blanc out of a coma after a serious car wreck. He was unresponsive and someone said "What's up Doc?" Mel Blanc responded in Bugs Bunny's voice and they brought him out of the coma by communicating with his cartoon voices. The brain is an amazing thing. Don't focus on the things you struggle with. Don't let it make you feel like something is wrong. Focus on the things you can do and see what else you can do. You'll amaze yourself.
+1 link
Chris2alaska
Chris2alaska

2/11/2022

Chris2alaska
Chris2alaska
I have a 1993 Vol. 304 30th Anniversary Edition of The Uncanny X-Men with the hologram. Does anyone know what it is worth? It has never been removed from the plastic wrapper. Thanks in advance
0 link
Favabeans24
Favabeans24

2/12/2022

Favabeans24
Favabeans24
Chris2alaska wrote:
I have a 1993 Vol. 304 30th Anniversary Edition of The Uncanny X-Men with the hologram. Does anyone know what it is worth? It has never been removed from the plastic wrapper. Thanks in advance

I believe this is what you are looking for:
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/uncanny-x-men/304/xbxpl

The search feature on the site is your best friend.
0 link
DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos

4/5/2023

DarkKrytos
DarkKrytos
good Info here on this as I have issue finding old xmen on here also Big Grin
0 link