Is there a market for comics graded 6.0-8.5? Messages in this topic - RSS

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice

1/13/2017

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice
I have been buying bulk and have a wide array of conditions in my comics from 4.5 to 9.9. Will the lesser conditioned ones' sell if appropriatly priced? For instance I have many that I have priced at say $1.75, when they would be $4 mint.
0 link
lealew7
lealew7

1/13/2017

lealew7
lealew7
i'm pretty sure if the demand is right, an adamant collector would take into consideration that non-perfect or lower graded comics may be the only options they have and yes, it could cause a higher value or request for said comics. there are many ways to find collectors or sell your items if just done correctly and safely of coursesmile Good luck and i hope others can assist where i lack since i am still a yearling on this Site; but i'm more experienced with the collecting of Comics and caring for my collection than anything. This site is very educational and helpful in so many ways i can not begin, lol.
0 link
rllewis
rllewis

1/13/2017

rllewis
rllewis
Depending on the Title and the storyline, I will get lesser grade issues to round out a collection.

Robert +
+1 link

1/13/2017

Yes. You can make money on anything if you buy it cheap enough. If you buy a thousand worthless comics for 2¢ a book and sell the same ones for 4¢ a book, you've doubled your money. A bunch of quick flips with a low profit margin is better than a comic sitting unsold in a comic box at top price.

Years ago when VCR's were $150 new, I was at a garage sale with a friend. We were about to leave and the homeowner hosting the garage sale asked if we were looking for anything. I was just tagging along and said nothing. My friend says "Do you have any VCR's?" The homeowner says "We have a broken one." My friend says, "Can I see it?" My friend looks at it and says "This is a nice one." I said "Yeah, but it's broken." My friend looks at the homeowner and says "How much do you want?" My friend proceeds to buy the broken VCR for $5. As we are leaving, I asked him why he wanted a broken VCR. He rambles on that most broken electronics can be easily fixed. He says that he was willing to gamble away $5 to see if he could fix it and have a working $150 VCR. I tagged along further and we went to his apartment. He proceeded to take it apart and troubleshoot why it was not working. Eventually he locates a broken plastic piece. I was silent and thought to myself that he'd thrown away $5 on a piece of garbage. He kept rambling with enthusiasm that he could still fix it. My thought was "whatever!", but I said nothing. I knew he could not get a replacement for the broken piece. It was a critical mechanical piece needed for it to work. I talked to him the next day. I facetiously and rhetorically asked him if he'd fixed it. He said that he never got around to fixing it because he'd sold it. I questioned him. I said "You sold it?! Who bought it?" He said his roommate had bought it for $10. I said "Did he know it was broken?" My friend says "Oh yeah. I told him that I was going to fix it and that I'd gambled by paying $5." His roommate was willing to gamble $10 on the same VCR with the belief that he too could fix it. This is why I say that if you buy something cheaply enough, you can make money on almost anything. If someone can make $5 and double their money in one day on a broken VCR, you can find a customer mid-grade comics. Just pay less than the next guy who comes along and always factor the labor and time you are spending to sell the stuff. Consider buying in bulk and selling in bulk. Just buy low and don't rule out a quick flip in bulk. If there are some gems in the collection, you can always price those more and see how they do. I bought some comics in bulk and made a VERY nice profit selling then to an antique shop. I bought some Archie comics real cheap when a comic book store closed. Collectors were snubbing their nose at them. I picked out some that I thought were interesting and sold the rest in bulk to a dealer that specialized in Archie back issues.

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/13/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Sure, there are collectors that buy lower or mid range condition comics for various reasons. Could be what a buyer can afford for a certain book, seeing that a higher grade book are out of the buyers price range. Also depending what book it is or what age it was printed, like a golden age or silver age book, I as a collector can only afford a book in a very good to fine condition at times.
A example is I like to collect Batman books. Books numbers between 100 to 150 can cost a good amount in those grades and also finding high grades for those books are really pricey for me, not to mention some old books it is harder to find mid to high grade books anyway.
Now bronze or modern books most can find high grade books easily and shy away from low to mid grade books. But hey, as I said, even those age books some will still but low to mid range books. As always just need to find a buyer willing to buy from you.
Anyway all posts all have good advice. As you said pricing books right to sell works well.
+1 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

2/12/2017

Any book in any condition can be sold for the right price.

Some comics are expensive (relatively speaking ofcourse) regardless of condition.

Gold and Silver age keys sell regardless of condition. The demand is always there.
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

2/13/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
genuine_article_comics wrote:
Some comics are expensive (relatively speaking ofcourse) regardless of condition.
Gold and Silver age keys sell regardless of condition. The demand is always there.

And I sometimes buy a low-grade "reader" copy that I already have a high-grade copy of (which I don't want to risk handling). Or I'll buy the low-grade one first, knowing that I'll be getting a high-grade copy later.
+2 link
mnaz21
mnaz21

2/27/2017

mnaz21
mnaz21
Absolutely. Once you get to 6.0 or higher, I would think of those as "nice books", especially if they are from the Bronze or Copper Age.
+1 link