Defiant1's Random & Odd Comic Art Collection Messages in this topic - RSS

Defiant1
Defiant1

1/14/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Defiant1 wrote:
Here is a Frank Brunner preliminary layout cover for Wildstars #5. It was published by a small independent publisher.

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk

Here was the published cover.

edited by Defiant1 on 12/12/2020
edited by Defiant1 on 12/12/2020
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
This was my most recent art purchase. It is a Kevin Eastman sketch in a custom frame made by letterer Roxanne Starr. The purchase came with a free hug.

The framed sketch

The back

The label

Close-up of the sketch

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
edited by Defiant1 on 2/28/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
This is an old backing board sketch that I got in 1994.

Joseph Linsner Sketch

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
edited by Defiant1 on 2/12/2020
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/11/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
When photobucket turned to $#!+, most of my images disappear from
this thread. I may go back and edit all of the posts to replace the
images.
I'm going to see if Pixelfed allows cross-site posting. They are a Fediverse knock-off of Instagram that I already like better.

Flaming Carrot Original Art. I bought this from Bob Burden himself.

It's personalized to someone at Marvel.

He had intended to give it to him, but something interfered and he decided to sell it instead.

So far, so good. Nice!

Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/12/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Defiant1 wrote:
DEFIANT Comics was to have a huge 4 issue crossover story with all their
heroes involved. They shut down the company before the story was ever
published. This is the only unpublished artwork that was ever colored.
This is the watercolor art for Schism #4 Page 20. Color art by JayJay Jackson.

edited by Defiant1 on 1/12/2017
edited by Defiant1 on 2/12/2020

I did a higher quality scan of this for a fanzine.
The fanzine is being offered on Kickstarter.

It's complete and the funding goal has been met.

I don't buy stuff online and I told them I didn't really want any credit.

I still encourage people to get a copy if they are fans of DEFIANT Comics or the creators who worked there.

All new interviews including a new Jim Shooter interview.
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

3/27/2021

rgtichy
rgtichy
These are pretty cool! The Brunner cover art is awesome. I don't think I know anything about Defiant Comics, though. I assume your profile indicates some kind of ties?
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/26/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
rgtichy wrote:
These are pretty cool! The Brunner cover art is awesome. I don't think I know anything about Defiant Comics, though. I assume your profile indicates some kind of ties?

I was a big fan of pre-Unity Valiant. Former editor-in-chief of Marvel founded the company in 1989. He was ousted in an unethical manner by his business partners in 1992.
In 1993, Jim obtained funding to start DEFIANT Comics. Marvel sued them out of the starting gate which consumed their start-up capital and delayed a multi-million dollar to deal with Mattel. The delay caused the toy deal to fall through. Realizing that the comics market had an implosion in 1994, they paid all the artists for outstanding work and shut down the business. The next year, he started Broadway Comics for Lorne Michaels' Broadway video.

In 2003 or so, I was trying to buy some DEFIANT comics artwork on eBay. I became frustrated because there was no accurate information about DEFIANT Comics on the web or in print. Price Guides and web sites were not listing everything that had been published and they were listing comics that had been solicited, but had had been published. At the time, I was just trying to figure out which pages of art came from which comics.

In my frustration, I thought to myself "Why doesn't someone make a web page that tells people about DEFIANT Comics!" Then I realized that I had more info on the company than many other collectors. I realized that I had no right to complain if I was unwilling to make they web site myself. So I did. Using free web hosting, I created "The Unofficial Archive of DEFIANT Comics". It's moved over the years, but it's seeing a resurgence of popularity lately.

The Unofficial Defiant Comics Archive

I've exchanged info with creators and fans for some 17 years. I was an annonymous contributor to a DEFIANT Comics fanzine published this year by Lucky Comics.

A week or so ago I turned down an offer to be part of a professional podcast which would be interviewing Jim Shooter a second time. The podcast host felt that I would have some good questions for Jim.

I prefer to just get the info out there. I'm not looking for notoriety. My life is interesting enough without comic fans and celebrities interacting with me.

Defiant1 is just a name I chose to associate me with my website. It also describes me well when Valiant Fans want to talk about Valiant Comics being good after 1993. They weren't.

I have many comic checklists online, my most extensive checklist is one for EC Comics and all the foreign EC reprints.

I own a lot of original art from DEFIANT Comics., but I slowed down greatly in buying it because my website drove up the prices people were charging for the art..
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/26/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
Whether for my own good or hers, I'd say I've been dumped by the girl I
love after 15 years. It was already an awkward long distance situation.

A parting gift from her was 3 pages of original Broadway Comics art.

Pencils - J.G Jones

Inks - Frank McLaughlin

Fatale #3 Page 17

Fatale #4 Page 11

Fatale #4 Page 12

Defiant1
0 link
Pd122
Pd122

10/26/2021

Pd122
Pd122
Thought I'd leave this here. Met D Johnson back in '93 right after he'd inked the cover on Superpatriot for Image, if I remember correctly. Anyway, he was super generous with his time, showed us he studio and how he worked, signed some comics for us (no, I did not bring my SP #1, I brought Chain Gang Wars #1 - who knew?), and then gave us some of his art to something that - to my knowledge - wasn't ever picked up. Anyway. Fun art - and though I'm animal lover - I thought it was funny.
0 link