Need help. Newbie here. Messages in this topic - RSS

MissyLizzy77
MissyLizzy77

12/21/2016

MissyLizzy77
MissyLizzy77
I came across some older comic cleaning out my late uncles basement. I've looked up a couple and man do I wish they were in mint shape because I would be in the money.. is there ano actually picture I can look at that shows the look of a comic as it goes from perfect to the worst.. I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just need a visual in order to say what shape mine are in
Thanks in advance

MissyLizzy77
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

12/22/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Sorry, there's not really anything like that because grading is extremely subjective and there's as much inside the book that can affect a grade as there is on the cover.

Here's our guide though, which can give you some tips!

http://comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-grading
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

1/6/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Read what netstuffers said to read. Get sort of a good idea of what a comic is... an 8-ish, or a 6-ish, or a 4-ish. Remember to look for those internal things in netstuffers link like Page Color, and "Missing Pages", and "Pages Missing", etc.
Then to help finalize it, go visual and Google "Comic Graded 4.0" and "Comic Graded 5.0"(looking at the "Images" section of Google)... and see examples of what the Grading Companies give comics.

Grading comics take YEARS of education and practice.

The good news - This should help you a lot for at least getting to a 6.0 versus 7.0 decision, or 5.0 versus 6.0 decision.
The bad news - (1) For valuable comics, a half point difference can make a big difference even at lower grades. (2) You can get 3 people who say "It's a 6.0." and the buyer will say "It's a 5.5... maybe a 5.0." Because as netstuffer said "because grading is extremely subjective". Even Grading Companies have multiple people grade one comic before it gets a grade.

Getting them officially graded by a Grading Company...
When you get this done for a comic, there's no "Well, it looks like a 5.0 to me." It doesn't set it's value in stone, but it helps.
Should you get a comic graded?
If a comic is kind of "Key" (more valuable) and in a mid-grade like 5.0 or so, it might be worth it to get it graded this way.
If a comic is very "Key" (really valuable) then even a low-grade like 3.0 is worth getting it graded this way.

What are 3 or 4 of the ones that you wish "were in mint shape because I would be in the money"? (Title and number.)
We can use those as examples for what you should get graded (also called "slabbed").
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

1/6/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
And hey netstuffer,
Why is it that when I hit "Enter" at the end of a line, in this box and the preview, it just goes to the next line with no empty extra line in between those 2 lines... but when it posts, there IS one? Sometimes I want to line break without a line between the 2 lines. It doesn't do this. This is in Firefox and Chrome, not in IE.

Line 1 + Enter.
Line 2 + two Enters.

Line 3.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/8/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
MissyLizzy77 wrote:
I came across some older comic cleaning out my late uncles basement. I've looked up a couple and man do I wish they were in mint shape because I would be in the money.. is there ano actually picture I can look at that shows the look of a comic as it goes from perfect to the worst.. I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just need a visual in order to say what shape mine are in
Thanks in advance

MissyLizzy77

ML77

Grading does take some time and effort. If you have a local comic store you might discuss with them, You can see what they grade their comics at. Likely they have been at it for a long time.

As a quick computer check -
You can check my home sale page here http://comicspriceguide.com/cpg-member/kdscomics . I have scans of my top comics from 4.5 to 9.8.

Also there is a grade guide website here with examples. https://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

Plenty more on the web,

The web is a great check to get guidelines. However, I really suggest looking at the comic in person - pictures can mask flaws or exaggerate minor cover wear.

KDS
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

1/10/2017

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
sclingerman wrote:
And hey netstuffer,
Why is it that when I hit "Enter" at the end of a line, in this box and the preview, it just goes to the next line with no empty extra line in between those 2 lines... but when it posts, there IS one? Sometimes I want to line break without a line between the 2 lines. It doesn't do this. This is in Firefox and Chrome, not in IE.

Line 1 + Enter.
Line 2 + two Enters.

Line 3.

Limitation of the forum software. I'm hoping I can dive in and fix some quality of life stuff like this soon for the forums, but the front of the site is coming first
+2 link
Alanking
Alanking

11/16/2018

Alanking
Alanking
MissyLizzy77 wrote:
Thanks in advance

MissyLizzy77
More educational information on this site

I also think, then you need to go to the nearest comic book store and ask them this question.
But I want to recommend you six Great Comic shops.
The Almost Corner Bookshop
Open Door Bookshop
Arion Esposizioni
The Anglo American Book Co.
Libri Necessari
Ottimomassimo
edited by ronbatman on 11/16/2018
0 link